• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Yorke close to signing with the Mariners

Flash

CENTRAL Coast Mariners are close to securing the audacious A-League return of former Sydney FC star Dwight Yorke.

Although rumours of Yorke's return have circulated for months, The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Mariners are at an advanced stage of negotiations to land the attacker as their new signing, possibly within days, on what is believed to be a minimum two-year deal.

While Yorke would technically replace Tony Vidmar as the Mariners' marquee player, he would in effect be an attacking swap for striker John Aloisi, who has signed for Yorke's former side Sydney FC.

Talks between the Mariners and Yorke's management accelerated three weeks ago, when negotiations ceased with Aloisi.

It comes as the Mariners yesterday unveiled fringe Socceroo Ahmad Elrich on a two-year deal.

Yorke, 36, has made 17 appearances for Roy Keane's Sunderland, who are just above the Premiership relegation zone.

It is believed Yorke's manager Simon Bayliff contacted Sydney FC last week, but the club were already in advanced negotiations with Aloisi, whom they signed on a $1m-plus package.

The Mariners' move for Yorke would reunite him with majority shareholder Peter Turnbull, originally an investor with Sydney FC.

Yorke's mooted wages are believed to be less than his $1m Sydney FC package in season I, when he skippered them to the A-League title - against the Mariners.

The Trinidad and Tobago attacker, who has always stated a desire to return to the A-League and pursue coaching, would likely live in Sydney.

Yorke made a massive impact on and off the field at Sydney FC, where he backed up his party-boy image with an extraordinary training work ethic. His former teammates to this day remember his pre-game and half-time speeches as inspirational. Yorke scored seven goals in 22 matches for Sydney FC.

Elrich meanwhile, who was Wellington Phoenix's marquee man last season, hopes a reunion with former mentor Lawrie McKinna will reignite his international career, which has stalled since injuring his knee while playing for the Socceroos.

The winger has signed a two-year deal with the Mariners after departing Wellington at the end of the season, admitting it was difficult to impress the Australian selectors from New Zealand.

After scoring in his first start, the 26-year-old struggled to capture the form that had him in contention and unlucky to miss out on the 2006 World Cup squad. Now he is det- ermined to push for selection with the 2010 World Cup qualifiers underway.

"It was a pretty easy decision because I've worked with Lawrie and Alex Tobin before," said Elrich, who ruptured his anterior cruciate in the Asian Cup qualifier against Kuwait in September, 2006.

"The World Cup qualifiers are a massive motivation and I know Lawrie can get me back up there to where I need to be."

Elrich is the second winger to sign with the Mariners, following Adrian Caceres (Melbourne Victory), and - along with Yorke - goes some way to replacing the departures of Aloisi, Tom Pondeljak (Melbourne) and Vidmar (retired).

MARINERS striker Sasho Petrovski last night had charges of misconduct relating to a match official, over an alleged gesture to grand final referee Mark Shield, dismissed by a disciplinary tribunal.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23352151-5001023,00.html

This is my first post on these forums :)

midfielder

Was DY also to do a lot of coaching as part of his contract.

Not suggesting, as I assume no,.......... but does DY if he is coming and involved in coaching, have anything to do with the Fergie off to the Nix's thread.

http://marinators.net/forum/index.php?topic=1136.0

Deej

I'm not sure how to take the Dwight Yorke link tbh

Part of me thinks yeah he's got great experience, keeps himself fit and could be that creative spark in the middle of the park which we need? You don't have to be 26 to be a great player, any player who can read the game and predict things on the park is an asset. 

On the other hand if he is a marquee for 2 years it's a lot of money (perhaps we don't know that) for an aging player.  If we can write off a certain amount due to a coaching role and could go under the cap then yeah I have no complaints, if it is a coaching role then I'd be interested to know Lawries thoughts on that?

Time will tell.............but playing in the premiership still shows he's still got something.

He certainly wouldn't be a striker, our midfield could be very different next season.

----------------Danny (eventually)
Osman------Boogs----Wilko-------Heff
Elrich------Jedinak----Yorke-----Caceres
----------Sasho------Mrdja/Macca

priorpeter

i heard it announced on sea FM and star FM this morning the club is very confident of announcing it within the coming days. I loved yorke wen he was at Man U.. now we need andy cole to rekindle the partnership LOL

skilbeck

So much we can try out in the way of formations
Most Attacking
-----Osman----Boogaard----Wilkinson
Elrich----Jedinak---Hutchinson----Heffernan/Caceres
---------------Yorke
---------Sasho-----Mrdja/Macca

Most Defensive
Osman----Wilkinson----Boogaard----Heffernan
----------------Jedinak
Elrich-----Yorke-------Hutchinson----Caceres
----------------Sasho/Macca/Mrdja

Or a possibility 4-4-1-1
Osman----Wilkinson----Boogaard----Heffernan
Elrich-----Jedinak-----Hutchinson---Caceres
------------Yorke
-----------------Sasho/Mrdja/Macca

Or theres a possibility that Elrich or Caceres are used as impact players. What to do with Kwasnik and Owens I dont know

Whatever the case, im sure Lawrie will mix it up a bit and try some of these in preseason, as they are all only slight variations on 4-4-2 and shuffle some players around and the best squad maybe one we never wouldve predicted

Bear

Our team will lift so much with his presence. And being that we won the league and missed the GF by the tip of Vidmars boot, the future looks bright, but maybe not for Owens, Kwas or Hutch, unfortunatly.

skilbeck

I think there is easily a place on the team for Hutch this season, maybe even above Caceres. As for Owens and Kwas, they might have to wait for an injury or play as impact players. Porter and McAndrew will probably be hard pressed getting game time and might have to look for playing opportunities in the backs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred