• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Yet another article about Bears & Central Coast...this one is kinda funny

Alicia

Don't put the Bears in Gosford
By Nick Walshaw | December 11, 2008 12:00am

EVEN poor ol' Matt wants to get rid of his sock. Signed by Jason Taylor, it sits among a sorry eBay collection of Northern Eagles merchandise, memorabilia and musty used clothes.

There's the team poster set for $3.99. A plush mascot for eight bucks. Two beanies, two caps and a range of other knick-knacks all waiting around like ugly callgirls on a rainy, Tuesday night.

And then there's the sock.

Go on, have a look. It'll still be there today. Tomorrow too. The one JT signed To Matt some six years ago now being offered up for $49. Good luck.

Because up on the Central Coast at least, the Northern Eagles remain a dirtier phrase than "Attention CityRail passengers ...''

Here by Brisbane Water, the Beagles will always be a farce. A joke. Greatest con since The Crying Game. Because here was a club which sold itself as a Central Coast team. This despite working out of Manly, training out of Hornsby and wearing more colours than a Passion Pop hurl.

Like a pesky Avon lady, simply appearing every couple of months to ring your doorbell and take your cash. And now you Sydneysiders want to put this sick joke on us Coasties all over again. For almost a month now, talk has been building around a supposed push to move the North Sydney Bears up the F3 to Central Coast Stadium.

Suggesting that when NRL boss David Gallop again talks expansion - something he recently refused to do in the foreseeable future - it should be the Bears.

Put simply, shifting the Bears to Gosford would be a toxic dumping of Hazmat proportions. So bad, dreadlocked women would start chaining themselves to those Central Coast Stadium palm trees by their underarm hair.

Why? Because there is just no mystical love affair between the Bears and the Central Coast. Up here Norths are simply the bumbling mess who've won ... NOTHING in 86 years. Who tried to come here - twice - and still botched it up.

So c'mon, why stop with the Bears, Sydney? Why not send us Parramatta Road traffic snarls. Or George Street glassings. Hell, maybe you could ship us that dodgy Leichhardt Oval toilet block with Corey Worthington inside.

Or how's this for an idea? If the Central Coast truly deserves an NRL team, why not just give us one? Name, colours, drunk superstars, the lot.

Like when the Northern Spirit soccer club folded in 2004, coach Lawrie McKinna and nine of his players moving to the Central Coast for a new start. Moving with no money. No connections. Nothing.

"And if we'd stuck with a name like Northern Spirit,'' says Central Mariners boss Lyle Gorman, "we'd still be struggling.''

Four years on and the Mariners now boast the support of Sheffield United owner Kevin McCabe, a database of 60,000 players and plans for a new $60million training complex at Tuggerah. Acting global, thinking local.

It's why every Monday they're still in schools. Every Tuesday conducting clinics at one of the Coast's 22 clubs. So committed, the running joke suggests that if your school fete only attracts three people, you can be sure one of them is a Mariner.

This is about refusing to take your community for granted. Like McKinna hosting fan barbecues in his backyard or Gorman conducting studies into the disproportionate youth suicide rate. Why, when an alcohol company recently offered $1.3million as front-of-jersey sponsor, they said no.

Because take the tip, the Central Coast isn't part of North Sydney. Ben Ikin never skated at Froggy's. Gary Larson never ate Wombi Whoppers. And we're pretty sure the late, great Ken Irvine never hurled a can of VB at Dieter Brummer inside Club Troppo.

Which isn't to suggest Bears legend Greg Florimo shouldn't continue his push to have an NRL team on the Coast. He should.

Get Singo involved. Appoint Dave Fairleigh as coach. Then rediscover that next wave of Mark O'Meleys, Matt Orfords and Ian Hendersons.

They should even buy Matt's sock off eBay ... keep it as a permanent reminder of what doesn't work up here.

W

Wilson

Yeah he must have seen the "you no your from the Central Coast' thread

scottmac

Suspended
Wilson said:
Yeah he must have seen the "you no your from the Central Coast' thread

No, he was born and bread on the coast and instead of reading it off a thread, he lived it. Having played cricket with Nick, his brother and his old man for many years i can assure you that.

Great article.

FFC Mariner

Wonderful stuff: My fave bit that says it all about us as a club is

It's why every Monday they're still in schools. Every Tuesday conducting clinics at one of the Coast's 22 clubs. So committed, the running joke suggests that if your school fete only attracts three people, you can be sure one of them is a Mariner.

This is about refusing to take your community for granted. Like McKinna hosting fan barbecues in his backyard or Gorman conducting studies into the disproportionate youth suicide rate. Why, when an alcohol company recently offered $1.3million as front-of-jersey sponsor, they said no.

As for NRL? Norths are broke and no longer have the support of their leagues club so it just isnt going to happen.

clarence

FFC Mariner said:
As for NRL? Norths are broke and no longer have the support of their leagues club so it just isnt going to happen.

Their leagues club is struggling too. Have had to drop its handouts to community RL teams in their area (yeah, I know, I didn't realise they had any teams there too, lol), and RU (through Gordon & NS) are making some inroads.

NS Bears at the lower level of RL may not go on for much longer. Five years at most.

deano

If the 2 teams were to co-exist, We would need a better greens keeper or upgrades to the turf. Or else with no recovery time RL/A-League beach football teams would be the only options.

nikko

Suspended
I remember the days when I used to say to chicks my dad was on the board of directors for the Bear ;)

adz

Staff member
nikko said:
I remember the days when I used to say to chicks my dad was on the board of directors for the Bear ;)

I remember that too. It was last week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred