• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Yellow, red & blue

MrCelery

The dust has settled on the election, with the Central Coast changing from red (Labor) to blue (Liberal), thanks to the John Singleton funded 'Team Central Coast' and our own Lawrie McKenna.

Lawrie's justification for preferencing the Liberals was to attract more funding for the Coast. He recently said: "Our whole aim was to force the major parties to give the region the funding it deserves. We provided both parties with a list of things we found to be crucial for the central coast."

Considering the large funding provided by Labor to the Mariners, it will be interesting to see whether Lawrie's tactic pays off. Of course, his objective is not just the Mariners. But I'd be mighty pissed off if funding equal to or larger than that provided by Julia\Kevin doesn't flow to help Mariners continue their work in the community.

Does anyone know what Lawrie's' 'list of things' includes?

Thoughts?

Roy Law

I think Lawrie gave his preferences to the Liberals because Labor had no chance of winning; no point in supporting Labor if they don't have access to the purse strings.

Reactions: adz

Atomic

I voted for Lawrie because of his agenda to secure more funding for hospitals (I work at Gosford Hospital), education and infrastructure on the Central Coast. If he succeeds in these areas, don't judge him too harshly if we don't get the pork barrelling that we have had in the past for a football team.

true believer

gee the liberal party increasing funding for public hospitals ? how's their record on that ?
ooh and you didn't vote for McKenna you voted liberal .

pjennings

The dust has settled on the election, with the Central Coast changing from red (Labor) to blue (Liberal), thanks to the John Singleton funded 'Team Central Coast' and our own Lawrie McKenna.

Lawrie's justification for preferencing the Liberals was to attract more funding for the Coast. He recently said: "Our whole aim was to force the major parties to give the region the funding it deserves. We provided both parties with a list of things we found to be crucial for the central coast."

Lawrie and Nathan basically put out a bunch of motherhood statements and things they wanted on the agenda. One of their main points was that we don't get the 'regional funding' that similar or smaller regions get because we are either seen as an extension of Sydney or Newcastle. Neither party responded to anything that they asked for specifically.

Forget anything that Lawrie and Nathan asked for specifically, being funded as a region would be an order of magnitude increase in funding for the area that would recur year in year out irrespective of who is in power.

This has already been put on the agenda some time ago and the Mariners have been quite crucial to developing the area as a region rather than a collection of cities and towns. This is also the purpose of the branding of the Central Coast Highway. This is an area that Deb O'Neill and Craig Thompson (and others of both shades of politics from the State level with the notable indifference of Chris Spence) have worked on for some time. When I questioned Lucy Wicks on a cold Narara stations on the Liberal position her reply was that it was not for her to decide such things.

The money that the Mariners have been able to attract has had a lot to do with being a marginal electorate in a tight parliament but has also been used as a tool to enhance a Central Coast identity. I fear that all that has happened here is that we have lost two advocates for the Central Coast to be included in Regional and Rural funding and replaced them with two people where at least one's support could be at best described as tepid. If Lucy Wicks and Karen McNamara surprise me mightily then Lawrie's justification in bold above will be seen to be correct. I hope he is - but I really doubt it.

dibo

Careful, even though you've put up an argument backed by, y'know, research and evidence, hasbeen will call you a rusted on and discount your views in 5, 4, 3...

MagpieMariner

As far as Lawrie's preferences direction, it depended on which side of his how-to-vote screed you looked at. One side pointed to Deb, the other to Lucy.

marinersman

Nobody had to follow Lawrie's how to vote card. Is it really surprising to anyone that the owner of 2GB might actually be happy to see a conservative government elected? Lawrie's is not responsible for the Central Coast turning blue. Labor is. The Central Coast is now completely Liberal ate state and federal level. The only reason for that is a pathetic Federal Government for the past six years.

dibo

Nobody had to follow Lawrie's how to vote card. Is it really surprising to anyone that the owner of 2GB might actually be happy to see a conservative government elected? Lawrie's is not responsible for the Central Coast turning blue. Labor is. The Central Coast is now completely Liberal ate state and federal level. The only reason for that is a pathetic Federal Government for the past six years.
Nobody's claiming that people *have* to follow HTVs, but they can certainly influence the result. We'll see where the preferences fall (the AEC publishes breakdowns), but preferences can certainly swing seats. Here, you can assume that the Greens vote will almost 100% pour into Labor, and CDP almost 100% into the Libs. After that, it's hard to know and HTVs make a difference.

In Robertson, the Libs had a lead, but it extended after preferences were distributed.

In Dobell, Thomson's preferences will go to Labor as well, leaving the Libs with a gap to make up. I'm sure we'll see that preferences from Bracken are going to be decisive there.

We'll see if Lawrie gets a payoff, perhaps through getting another year as Mayor where otherwise the Libs would take the spot.

Your views on the last government aside, Wicks hardly won the ringing endorsement of the people of Robertson; she had a (small) swing against her and her seat is still very marginal. In Dobell, there's less than 1,000 votes in it, and Labor won the postals and absentees last time.

I'm surprised you conflate State and Federal issues. Labor had two federal Liberals while rejecting the hopeless state Liberals in 3/4 seats between 2001 and 2007; voters are smart enough to know the difference. The State government lost, and deserved every bit of it, but it had nothing to do with the federal government, and this incoming federal government hasn't had anything like the same level of support as their state colleagues which is why the two seats are still very marginal.

Neither Wicks nor McNamara should get too comfortable on the green leather.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb