• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

World Cup qualifying- Europe preview

dibo

[wind up merchant]Allons enfants de la Patrie,
Le jour de gloiree est arivee...[/wind up merchant]

The worst part of this is that it keeps Raymond Domenech in a job - he's simply dreadful and with the talent he's got at his disposal he should never have been in this situation. Ireland were terribly unlucky too and should've iced it before this point.

The first contact on the arm is possibly not handball - Henry didn't move his hand to it, it hits him - but the second is clear as day. The referee would normally be pretty much behind Henry here and might be in a poor spot to see the hand (though should've seen the movement of the ball) and the AR's view is blocked by Given and Gallas (at least). Technology please! Even simply allow the fourth official the right to view the replays from the standard broadcast and make a quick call?

Best case scenario is that France change coaches before the finals and play with a bit of enterprise and flair again. Their players are more than capable but they're stifled at present. Then at least they might put on a bit of a show in Sth Africa.

Statue

dibo said:
[wind up merchant]Allons enfants de la Patrie,
Le jour de gloiree est arivee...[/wind up merchant]

The worst part of this is that it keeps Raymond Domenech in a job - he's simply dreadful and with the talent he's got at his disposal he should never have been in this situation. Ireland were terribly unlucky too and should've iced it before this point.

The first contact on the arm is possibly not handball - Henry didn't move his hand to it, it hits him - but the second is clear as day. The referee would normally be pretty much behind Henry here and might be in a poor spot to see the hand (though should've seen the movement of the ball) and the AR's view is blocked by Given and Gallas (at least). Technology please! Even simply allow the fourth official the right to view the replays from the standard broadcast and make a quick call?

Best case scenario is that France change coaches before the finals and play with a bit of enterprise and flair again. Their players are more than capable but they're stifled at present. Then at least they might put on a bit of a show in Sth Africa.

I agree with you dibo, it would have been impossible for the ref or his AR to see that hand ball it would have been interesting actually to see the position of the referee in that situation.

But it the technology debate is always going to be brought up in situations like this, i personally hope we dont bring in technology as i think it will do more harm to the game than good, in moments like this they seem good but it will be the same as in rugby league and cricket, its still never going to be right all the time, and picking the right moments to use it as well will cause way too many problems i think.

dibo

Est-ce quil y a une probleme? Vous ne voulez pas donner les congratulations aux les Bleus?
Je nai savez pas que vous tes Irlandais?

Deej

f**king cheating prick, running away to celebrate the goal is the icing on the cake. 

That ref should be f**king ashamed of himself to allow that, he's ruined the dreams of a nation!

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
French ... all arse, no classs. Spineless cheats. Almost as bad as the Italians and U R Gay.

Agree, Deej. (OMG, did I say that?) . The ref and his "assistants" were a disgrace.

Arabmariner

Agree with all of the above.

Bunch of cheating ,spineless tossers.

I hope the Aussies get them in the group stages because these pricks will crumble if we get in their faces.

I loathe that nation.

:mad:

Deej

We should have seen this coming....bloody French

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/handball/7579555.stm

Forum Phoenix

f**king @#^%%#%#$^%&$^&^$& miserable utter shite.

How anyone can still be against technology is beyond me.

Try dreaming all your years of playing at the world cup and then watch it slip away through a blatant breach of the rules that is missed by avoidable human error.

With technology it could get worse than this?

How the f**k can it get any worse than that!!!?
Italy dive? Hand of God?

You don't get worse than blatant breaches of the rules that could be easily overcome ruining the dreams of players coaches and nations.

It has to bloody end.

serious14

Henry breaks the world gang bang record as he 'single handedly' f*cks the entire population of Ireland....

;)

serious14

P.S.  Henry knew he handballed straight away, he himself has admitted it.  So what was to stop him walking up the other end and knocking in an own goal??  Y'know, if he's as classy and as fair as he (and his fans) protests he is??

Gopher of Pern

serious14 said:
P.S.  Henry knew he handballed straight away, he himself has admitted it.  So what was to stop him walking up the other end and knocking in an own goal??  Y'know, if he's as classy and as fair as he (and his fans) protests he is??

Would you do the same thing, even if the reward isn't a ticket to the world cup?

dibo

I think he should've put his hand up straight away and said it was handball. It's just an unarguable handball, and allowing yourself the cover of 'I'm not the referee' is pretty cowardly.

One of the classiest things I've seen on a football field was in one of my team's matches this year - tight match against the eventual champs, it's 1-1 and we're on the attack. One of our midfielders goes down after a challenge in the area, referee points to the spot. Our boy was the first to the referee saying 'no, it wasn't a foul, I slipped'.

Our hearts were in our mouths because frankly we could've done with the goal but it was still a good thing to do. The referee justly changes his decision and awards a goal kick.

Not ten minutes later the same player belts in a complete rocket from the edge of the area (left footed) into the top corner to win us the game.

Had Henry put his hand up and said it was handball, he'd be setting an amazing example, and for nothing more than doing the right thing. Had France lost, he wouldn't have been blamed for that. Had they won all the same, he would have been a hero twice over.

serious14

Gopher - If it meant I wasn't labelled a dirty cheat for the rest of my career and it meant a fair and just result, then yes.

This whole "oh, y'know, it's just part of football" malarkey is one of the biggest problems in the game today.  Why should the Irish just sit back and accept a blatant violation of a key law of the game of _foot_ball which has denied them a World Cup spot, and the FAI some 35 million Euro's??

Dibo - do you remember a Championship game a season or two back over here where a goal was scored whilst the goalie was down injured (through no fault of the attacking team, it was just one of those things)??  After realising what had happened, straight from the kickoff they ran it back and put it in their own net.

I don't care if it's the World Cup final or 6 a side at Mingara on a Monday - the laws of the game are there for a reason.  What's the point otherwise??

dibo

serious14 said:
Dibo - do you remember a Championship game a season or two back over here where a goal was scored whilst the goalie was down injured (through no fault of the attacking team, it was just one of those things)??   After realising what had happened, straight from the kickoff they ran it back and put it in their own net.

I don't, but I do remember a great story from a cup fixture between (of all sides) Leicester City and Nottingham Forest. Not exactly the friendliest of near neighbours in the midlands, they created a great story a few years back.

[quote author=Sportingo]How Nottingham Forest and Leicester City proved that sportsmanship still rules in football
Foxes boss Gary Megson warmed the hearts of fans over the world with a magnanimous gesture in his team's Carling Cup game with Colin Calderwood's Forest. Even the bookies joined in!

by Craig Hackney on 21 September 2007

Grand sporting gestures are rare these days, even more so in the cut-throat world of football. Sure, there is always the kicking the ball into touch when a player is injured, but rarely is a tactical advantage surrendered, and never would a goal be conceded in making the gesture. Until the Leicester City-Nottingham Forest Carling Cup re-match, that is.

The two teams, who rarely make headlines these days, made the international news services for a quite remarkable example of sportsmanship. City allowed Forest to score the opening goal of the re-match of their abandoned August tie. Leicester players stood aside to allow Forest goalkeeper Paul Smith to take the ball from the kick-off and, in effect, allowed Forest to regain the advantage that they had when the original game was abandoned.

This magnanimous gesture had its genesis in the August second-round game between the two sides when Leicesters Clive Clarke collapsed with a heart attack in the teams dressing room at half-time. Forest quickly agreed to abandon the game out of respect for Clarke and in recognition of the concerns of his team-mates. Forest were leading the game 1-0 at the time.

Forests good deed received universal approval at the time and was a tremendous victory for the teams, referee and football. In the spirit of no good deed ever going unrewarded, Leicester manager Gary Megson informed Forest manager Colin Calderwood of their intention to restore the score of the abandoned game.

Calderwood then nominated Smith to be the scorer as he was unlikely to have been backed with bookmakers. Strangely, even the usually mercenary bookies got into the act and decided to pay out on the scorer of the first contested goal, Alan Sheehan. And most even paid out on both the 3-1 real scoreline as well as the official result, 3-2.

The vision of Smith clasping hands with Leicester goalkeeper Marlon Fulop was enough to warm the heart of even the most strident football cynic. Fortunately for Leicester, they went on to win the game 3-2 but, regardless of the score, both sides have proven themselves a winner in the eyes of sports fans the world over.

Reality, however, has a way with catching up with everyone and Megson ended up being booed by sections of the Forest crowd who, apparently, have still not forgiven him for being in charge when they were relegated to League One. Ah well, you cant win them all.[/quote]

serious14

That's the one I was referring to.  Wasn't sure when it was. 

And injured/heart attack - same thing.  ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb