• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Why the Mariners cannot win the title and why they can

Roy Law

Why the Mariners Cannot win the Title.

Whether the title is about winning the Championship or the Premiership the task is clearly beyond the Mariners. History is overwhelming against them. Only one A-League team, Brisbane Roar, has ever gone back-to-back with either of the titles – as Champions; and they only did it by the narrowest of margins – the width of a Rizla cigarette paper to beat the Mariners and a controversial penalty to beat Perth. And they did it with an almost unchanged line-up.
The Mariners have lost half of their Grand Final run-on side including three key defenders, Ryan, Bojic and Zwaanswijk. They will play the first game against Premiers WSW with seven of the GF side missing. It is turning an optimistic blind eye to think that such a dramatic change in personnel cannot have a destabilising effect. The A-League is too full of talented teams and hungry coaches not to take advantage of these changes.
The Mariners’ success was built the strongest of defences; in the last two seasons the side conceded less than a goal a game. But the defensive wall has been torn down with three key defenders moving on. The Mariners have lost ground and the others will be lining up to exploit the weaknesses. From the frighteningly competitive Ange Postecoglou of Melbourne Victory to the urbane intelligent Ernie Merrick at Wellington Phoenix all coaches will be looking to bring the Mariners down. It could be a very hard road this season.
Why The Mariners Can Win the Title
In a word, only a fool would underestimate the Mariners.
Grumpy Graham Arnold is one of the great Australian coaches fuelled by a deep passionate desire to succeed. He won’t be thinking the Mariners will fail, he will believe they will again be front runners for both titles. He sets the highest of standards and will expect his players to be thoroughly professional throughout the season. He not only wants to retain the Championship, he wants to regain the Premiership. He wants to qualify yet again for the Asian Champions League.
Just because the Mariners have lost key defenders does not mean Graham Arnold has lost his belief in building success around a strong defence. The team will defend as a team starting from the front. The Mariners three big front men Matt Simon, Daniel McBreen and Mitchell Duke are a clear and present danger to any defender; they will give no respite - and they will score goals too. Last year the Mariners were equal top scorers and fans can expect more of the same with the mouth watering prospect of seeing the magical skills of Michael McGlinchey enhanced by the creative genius of Marcos Flores. What the Mariners may lose defensively they will gain in attack. Look out too for Nick Fitzgerald and Anthony Caceres to make their mark.
The Mariners can retain the Championship, can regain the Premiership, simply because they are the Mariners. The most consistent, the most focussed, the most achieving, and the most ambitious club in the A-League. Pundits used to write off the Mariners as too small, unsophisticated and under-funded but no-one these days dares to writes off the Mariners. They will be there or thereabouts when the big prizes are handed out at the end of the season

Stoxxo

Really well written Roy, enjoyed it and it pretty much exactly echoes the same thoughts i have of the coming season. Exciting times ahead!

sydmariner

I'm not so sure the imo the lossess that we've had far outway the gaines we've made compared 2 wsw who' ve pretty much kept 2 the same squad that were premiers last season

Big Al

You've got to score more than you concede.

So here's hoping the attackers actually nail the chances that come there way because we create a lot of half chances that don't get finished.

The backline will take a while to settle which is worrying. If Trent really is top shelf you'll find out this year.

As long as the backs can get the ball to the attackers & not via picking it out of the net we'll be all right but I don't see as strong a season as last where the ACL really took the premiers tag off us as much as WSW.

localpom

I'm not all that worried to be honest. There is still a very "Mariner" look about the side. Guys like Storm,Seip (he needs a nickname) seem to have fitted into our culture as has Flores who will add alot of class to the side. Fitzy and Matty are ex Mariners so we know what they can do. Caceres is one of our new young guns, we ALWAYS produce 2 or 3 excellent youngsters.This year i think Caceres,Dukey, Storm and Ando will have breakthrough years. As far as our defence goes we may take 2 or 3 games to gel but i don't see too many problems. The only issue i see is our distribution out of the back but we will see. TBH i will be happy with a top 4 this season, other clubs have more money and have recruited well. We will not always be a top 2 side so have to expect the odd less spectacular season.Saying that, i do think we have one of the best squads in the comp and fully expect another great season. Bring it on!

bikinigirl

The backline will take a while to settle which is worrying. If Trent really is top shelf you'll find out this year.

. there have been a couple of comments through the pre-season suggesting that trent is struggling a little without big-pat alongside him. i don't think this is true - i think he may be struggling because he doesn't have big-pat alongside him

. confused? let me explain

. i don't think trent was that reliant on big-pat for direction as seems to be the thinking of a few ... but i do think he may not yet have the confidence in his partner/s in the same way that he was confident of big-pat controlling his own 'shit'

finally retired

. i don't think trent was that reliant on big-pat for direction as seems to be the thinking of a few ... but i do think he may not yet have the confidence in his partner/s in the same way that he was confident of big-pat controlling his own 'shit'
I think you are spot on here BikiniGirl.

Lowlander

If the odds are anything to go by CCM appear to be favourites. Until the season actually kicks off and results start coming in however, everything is but hypothetical and speculative. Not wishing to take away from the premise of this thread and the opening comments which I do like and can agree with. This year will prove to be very interesting, one things that does appear clear prior to season kick off is that the coaches are firmly positioned within their respective clubs which certainly wasn't the case at the start of last season, suggesting a much tougher season and thus a better spectacle for the punters.

In my unedumecated opinion, Arnie is well and truly in the hot seat, if he can rebuild the squad, and come end of season have CCM positioned towards the top of the table or better, then surely he would be recognised globally as a manager worthy of his stature. There would be no measure to the benefit it would bring to Australian football as a whole from both a domestic and international perspective.

Roy Law

. there have been a couple of comments through the pre-season suggesting that trent is struggling a little without big-pat alongside him. i don't think this is true - i think he may be struggling because he doesn't have big-pat alongside him

. confused? let me explain

It is up to Trent to step up - to take on the leadership role at the back. I reckon he will thrive on the responsibility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred