• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Why Sydney is Important.

midfielder

The FFA 2008 Annual Report shows the players per state and if you add the NSW & ACT player number you get 58% of Australias total player numbers refer my chart below. http://www.producegroup.com.au/docs/ffa_fact_sheet.pdf

State       Player No. % per State Aus Pop  % of pop
NSW         232,897 55%         6,967,200           3.34%
QLD           65,270 15%         4,279,411           1.53%
ACT           13,147 3%             344,200           3.82%
TAS           13,579 3%             498,200           2.73%
VIC           37,964   9%         5,927,600           0.64%
WA           32,117   8%         2,163,200           1.48%
SA           25,365   6%         1,601,800           1.58%
NT             2,773   1%             219,900           1.26%
Total         423,112             22,001,511           1.92%

Sydney is and has always been where most media companies have their head office and thus decision making process .  Ch 9, 10, 7, 2, News Limited,  Consolidated Press (same as 9 I know),  Fox, Fairfax , Southern Cross Broadcasting (radio network), Macquarie Broadcasting (radio), AMP radio.

RL & RU have deep roots into the media in part because of the influence of them being popular and well supported in Sydney.

It is an embracement actually in Sydney with an estimated 170, 000 players that over the years Football has struggled to engage the broader football family whether via NSL or the Choppers.

This makes the choice of the second Sydney team and the rebirth of the Choppers critical in the long term plan.  Further both CCM & the Jets are part of this greater puzzle of NSW influence and are as important as the two Sydney teams in helping to create the rivalry that will have people talking at the water cooler .

If I look at Con I despise with the recent announcement by Lyall Gorman of the Mariners formula  http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/mariners-admit-its-time-to-change-tack/2009/04/22/1240079730537.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1 and the Centre of Excellence, CCM are doing there bit. Now we need both the Choppers under the new ownership to connect with the football family and hopefully the second Sydney team will as well. Con is a problem child and IMO FFA need to find someone willing to buy him out for the greater good of football.

Looking at the above chart and given the media companies in Sydney this must be a high order item. In summary the four NSW team become the foundation upon which the new media will be built further the countries two largest regional TV broadcasters in WIN Corporation & NBN are again on Sydneys boarders. For football to take the next step it needs the media on board and as I see it the four NSW teams hold the key

Jesus

Jesus
midfielder said:
The FFA 2008 Annual Report shows the players per state and if you add the NSW & ACT player number you get 58% of Australia’s total player numbers refer my chart below. http://www.producegroup.com.au/docs/ffa_fact_sheet.pdf

State       Player No. % per State Aus Pop   % of pop
NSW          232,897 55%          6,967,200           3.34%
QLD            65,270 15%          4,279,411           1.53%
ACT            13,147 3%             344,200           3.82%
TAS            13,579 3%             498,200           2.73%
VIC            37,964   9%          5,927,600           0.64%
WA            32,117   8%          2,163,200           1.48%
SA            25,365    6%          1,601,800           1.58%
NT              2,773   1%             219,900           1.26%
Total          423,112             22,001,511           1.92%

Sydney is and has always been where most media companies have their head office and thus decision making process .  Ch 9, 10, 7, 2, News Limited,  Consolidated Press (same as 9 I know),  Fox, Fairfax , Southern Cross Broadcasting (radio network), Macquarie Broadcasting (radio), AMP radio.

RL & RU have deep roots into the media in part because of the influence of them being popular and well supported in Sydney.

It is an embracement actually in Sydney with an estimated 170, 000 players that over the years Football has struggled to engage the broader football family whether via NSL or the Choppers.

This makes the choice of the second Sydney team and the rebirth of the Choppers critical in the long term plan.  Further both CCM & the Jets are part of this greater puzzle of NSW influence and are as important as the two Sydney teams in helping to create the rivalry that will have people talking at the water cooler .

If I look at Con I despise… with the recent announcement by Lyall Gorman of the Mariners formula  http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/mariners-admit-its-time-to-change-tack/2009/04/22/1240079730537.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1 and the Centre of Excellence, CCM are doing there bit. Now we need both the Choppers under the new ownership to connect with the football family and hopefully the second Sydney team will as well. Con is a problem child and IMO FFA need to find someone willing to buy him out for the greater good of football.

Looking at the above chart and given the media companies in Sydney this must be a high order item. In summary the four NSW team become the foundation upon which the new media will be built … further the countries two largest regional TV broadcasters in WIN Corporation & NBN are again on Sydney’s boarders. For football to take the next step it needs the media on board and as I see it the four NSW teams hold the key…

Looking at those figures makes me think there is no reason the ffa wont add west sydney, the gong and canberra.

I think the major thing that football needs is to increase juniors in afl states. Those numbers in victoria surprised me, though I did expect them to be significantly down on nsw.

clarence

Just a few points to raise midfielder about your comments.
1) Consolidated Press is now only a few magazines, and the old holding company that was the Packer family's, is now reduced as basically a non active company with a few directors. The main owners of the Nine Network is now an investment syndicate, not Consolidated Press, PBL or the Packer family.

2) Chanels 10 & 7 are having a horrid time in this 'GFC', CaWest (the major shareholder of TEN) is about ot, if it already hasn't happened, go bust. Kerry Stokes' shares in 7 have taken a beating too. The new owners of Nine were also reported as having problems with advertising revenue.

3) The rising star that may rise out of the ashes of this 'GFC' in media, is the pay TV and internet/cable/3G mobile networks. Both of these options can and do respond to changes in programming by popular demand much quicker than FTA and have better access, directly, to consumers rather than being broadcast across a range of freqs. that people can or cannot tune into. And unlike FTA, they do not have to forcibly undergo a changeover to digital networks as per Govt. regulation, which must be quite an impost on the FTA networks.

3) Of course, there will be more registered players in NSW than anywhere else. We are just about the most ethnically diversified state, we have the most number of people, we have a large network of established Football Associations. Couple that with a lot of people buying into pay TV and having access to Football shows more so than FTA only people and you can see where the influence comes from.

4) Sydney FC will eventually get it's act together, maybe this season? Yes, in a sports market the size of Sydney, they should be providing the prospective fans with better results, but once the results happen, fans will flock back. Sydney is a very fickle market - if you are not playing well, they will stay away and find better things to do with their time, but if you are winning, they all love to be there when you win! TBF the Central Coast is proving a fair bit like that too.

5) The HQs of the media networks may have something to do with the time differences across the country too. The same thing applies to the USA and most large FTA networks in the US have their main base in NY, similar large city on the east coast much like Sydney is to Australia.

The FTA networks can do shows like Today, Sunrise Today Tonight and A Current Affair, from Sydney in the local time live, and then relay that by delayed broadcast to firstly SA (1/2 hour behind) and then WA (2 hours behind) with local state content edited into the spots that were generally Sydney only in the original live broadcast. With such work it is only natural that their HQs are nearby.

midfielder

Clarence & Jesus

Clarence agree with all your comments ... however without doubt Sydney is media capital of Australia as Melbourne has most of the major mining companies..

Further you are right when you talk about the FTA media companies are all near broke aside from 7,  and the phone companies will be a major player next time around .. Optus HO in Sydney, Telstra in Melbourne... My point I guess is with the size of the playing population and in parts of Sydney its football first by a long way... at present the crowds and connections to TV do not reflect this.. If however the  Sydney teams could ever connect to it's family there is no reason why Homebush would not be filled... The SBS constant technical rants don't help nor the past management of SFC... The new teams applying from WS seem to understand to connect to the associations and hopefully so will SFC.

If the new Sydney team,  Choppers, Jets and CCM draw decent crowds it will have a impact on the media...

Jesus .. the Vic figures do not include fustal, and Church comps... my understanding in Vic there are a large number of players in Church comps .. but overall there player numbers are low compared to everybody arguably because the AFL in Victoria have been very effective in keeping other sports out.

Jesus

Jesus
midfielder said:
Clarence & Jesus

Clarence agree with all your comments ... however without doubt Sydney is media capital of Australia as Melbourne has most of the major mining companies..

Further you are right when you talk about the FTA media companies are all near broke aside from 7,  and the phone companies will be a major player next time around .. Optus HO in Sydney, Telstra in Melbourne... My point I guess is with the size of the playing population and in parts of Sydney its football first by a long way... at present the crowds and connections to TV do not reflect this.. If however the  Sydney teams could ever connect to it's family there is no reason why Homebush would not be filled... The SBS constant technical rants don't help nor the past management of SFC... The new teams applying from WS seem to understand to connect to the associations and hopefully so will SFC.

If the new Sydney team,  Choppers, Jets and CCM draw decent crowds it will have a impact on the media...

Jesus .. the Vic figures do not include fustal, and Church comps... my understanding in Vic there are a large number of players in Church comps .. but overall there player numbers are low compared to everybody arguably because the AFL in Victoria have been very effective in keeping other sports out.

So church comps are not included in any of the states?

Clarence there is a big mix of ethnicities in melbourne as well.
When you look at these figures, Terrigal United has almost half as many registered players as the whole of NT. The coast as a whole would surely be about half as many registered players as Vic, or simliar to act.

Even with church comp i would assume that in VIC alf has a large chunk of registered players.

BAD BULLZ

"Why Sydney is Important. "...........................................

Because its the point of referance to foriegners where the coast is e.g wheres the coast?? bout an hr north of sydney :headbutt:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred