• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Why do you love the Mariners?

LaRass

As most of my friends are Sydney and Wanderers supporters, i often get asked 'why do i support the mariners'?
For me, starting off as a Sydney supporter, I made the switch as it got too expensive and the parking was crap( that's what my dad said anyways). I also felt the non active fans were really arrogant and didn't really care about the team, it was almost like they were there just to sit and do nothing else. Keep in mind that was the season that Sydney won the championship. So my first game at gosford was against Brisbane Roar. We first went to montis seafoods and seeing to whole town in yellow and navy, nothing you would see at Sydney. I remember the pitch with the palm trees. I think it was a 1-1 draw. I didn't immediately start supporting the Mariners after the game but I had a "soft spot" for them. So the next game I went to is Mariners vs Sydney at gosford. I have very vivid memories of that game and I think everyone who was there was. 7-2. I remember all the fans showed passion and that they were all there to support the mariners. I literally came with a Sydney shirt and left with a mariners shirt. From there on I guess it just stayed with me. This is my 5 season as a member and I have no intentions to stop supporting them.

What's your story?

Julz

I was working for a Company called Future School, they were the front shirt sponsors in the first season. I wasn't a football fan but we were all issued with the jersey and met some of the players. Every week I was offered free tickets to the games but I always declined. It wasn't until I told my sister and brother in law of the free tickets and they jumped on me to get them for next game. So, that first year we went to every home game and then the Grand Final against Sydney FC. We have been members since 2008. To say I am hooked on this team is an understatement

pjennings

I've always been a parochial home supporter. I grew up in Five Dock and worked in Leichhardt. I followed the Socceroos, rugby league and football in that order - but attended both Balmain and Apia games. I moved to the Coast in the mid 80s and really had no local team to follow in a national competition so continued with my original local teams. Super League happened and my beloved Balmain disappeared, I still have a soft spot for Wests Tigers but it is not the same. The NSL died and so did my link with Apia.

Late in the NSL days Northern Spirit played a couple of times on the Coast. I went to those games but really didn't feel an attachment though I did see a player for Canberra Cosmos (Clarky) who I liked the look of.

My kids were at school and playing football when the Mariners began. My son, a keeper, was always keen to join in the first year with me. When he found out that his deputy principal Terry Greedy (ex Apia as well) was a Socceroos keeper he was sold and we have been there ever since. The rest of the family joined the following year.

Wombat

I lived in England until I was 19yo and like most Poms was obsessed with Football.

I moved here and was a bit starved of the game.

We used to go on picnics on the Northern Beaches with friends and kick about 5 on 5 with a Footy (no...not a Rugby ball) and the locals were bemused.
Chockos (as they were called then) used to to ask to join in and we always welcomed them. Sometimes it would end up nearly 11 a side and we would take over the whole grassed areas...to the winging of the Aussies.....lol.

I played for North Sydney, Horsnbsy RSL, Mt Colah (and half a season at Berowra when the gun Mt Colah side i played with for was thrown out of the comp for Thuggery/stupidity). As you can see, we were migrating North due to house pricing and thankfully we decided to try the central coast.

I loved it and I played 10 seasons for Kariong 035. Starting in A's and finishing in C's as we got old and slow.

I think after maybe 1 year up here they formed a Mariners side, thanks to Lawrie and Fergie.
I was shocked and f**king elated that we had a team.
I dragged my family to every game in that first season. I loved it and have been hooked ever since.
I used to get free tickets (swapped for spending money on grog from the Settlers) for the first 2 seasons, then decided to actually support the club financally and buy a season ticket.
This year i brought 6 seasons tickets.

I love the Mariners with a passion now.

Gratis

Ha! It was those free Settlers tickets that got me and the missus going to games regularly (as opposed to occasionally) at the beginning.
I went to the first game and only a handful after that initially - I've never played the game or really followed it other than watching a couple of seasons of premier league a few years before and World Cups which I watched religiously with a mate every 4 years. It was cool to have a team but I had no real tie or drive to be there every game.
Those free tickets got me to more games than I would have and being at the games turned me from a casual supporter to a frothing at the mouth rabid fan.

The Mariners never-say-die style produced some truly epic games that left me with a throat I couldn't speak with and sucked me right in - even some of our losses left you on a high (ala 5-4 loss to sydfc, 2 red cards and we just kept coming back, shame about the last minute loss but DAMN that was a game to watch!). The spirit in the team: every team knew we never gave up and we pulled a few out of the fire even at 3 nil down. This combined with their endless community work hooked us permanently. It was a club to be genuinely proud of. The success that followed for the club was just the icing on the cake.

I then moved around a bit, including interstate, spanning 5-6 years but never missed a game. Unfortunately this meant I was away for all but about 3 months of the Arnie era and didn't get to many of those games that I was away for in person. I moved back to the coast about 3 years ago and I won't lie, part of the motivation was going to games. Was certainly a selling point.
I've just had a second kidlet recently, my first we took to a Mariners preseason game at pluim when he was 11 days old.

Thankfully it looks like there is long ride with the club to go yet. One day long into the future it will be a special thing to be able to say I was there at the beginning and have been ever since.

Last edited:

Big Al

Like all Aussie boys straight into Soccer (it is what it was). Loved it and was pretty good.
First NSL game was watching Blacktown City as a young boy.
But as most Aussie boys do they leave the game entering high school but mine was due to a whole season being rained out and wanted to follow my old man into basketball much to the annoyance of my coach.
Have always enjoyed live sport being a Sydney Kings and Parra Eels fan attending many matches.
Previously the A League was Dwight Yorke on the footy show and the odd news highlight of grand finals. No Foxtel no A League.
Then missed the great property price surge and headed up the coast to buy my own home. As was looking WSW had been formed and was big news and ADP had been signed. Signed the contract to buy on the coast the day we won 7-2 and ADP pulled out so was aware of what was going on from there.
Knowing the Mariners were the only national side on the coast, said to the boss lets go check it out. First game was WSW had sat above them and felt the stadium shake. I was hooked, couple games later the boss was in as well. Was a great excuse to get out into the community and have a night out as didn't know many people up here. Went to the grand final without the heartache the rest of you have been through.
Now it provides entertainment and excuse to go have a drink a slap and Chinese and enjoy life.
Also finding this forum has added to the addiction. After doings my apprenticeship, thinking I was a no it all but have settled in nicely and only rub dibo up the wrong way because he's a control freak but that's part of the fun seeing what stupid shit he gets upset about.
Most of all the Mariners provide the wombat dibo duels, what would all this be without that.

style_cafe

My football journey to be a Mariners Fan started way back when I was about 3.
I followed my grandad & older brother to a Queens Park Rangers game at Loftus Rd.
I remember all the people & swinging from the crash bars but never knew what it was all about at that time.

5 years later & 12,000miles from home I met my Uncle for the first time.
He was coaching an under 13 team at Mt.Pritchard & was short a few players so my brother & I was roped in (I was 8) .
Dad also started playing AA for Prospect Wanderers in Southern Districts also coached by my Uncle.
That started the love affair that is FOOTBALL.

Having played juniors at Mount Pritchard & Dad being involved with starting the club there we moved to Green Valley where I played until an Injury forced retirement.
After spending 10 years on the sideline watching a few games at the Valley & a few more at Macarthur my oldest son started playing at Eschol Park.
I spent 5 years there on the committee & coaching before moving to Macarthur.

Coaching there was sensational but was cut short when the Chairman resigned & annointed me.
My first year in "full time admin" brought me into contact with the Coasties & Ray Sandell.
As dad was now coaching on the Coast with Doylo the Rams v Coastie matches were the highlights of the season.
I also got involved at an Association level with Parramatta Power.

When the A-League started I became a Sydney fan, meeting dad at the games (he was a Mariners man from Day 1)
When I moved up the coast in 2006, I switched to the local side.
I can honestly say though, that Sydney never captured my heart, like the MARINERS have.

I`ve been to 3 Grand-finals (Newcastle,Brisbane & Wanderers)
Go to most home games (unless i`m working),listen to them on the radio or whenever they are on TV & basically cannot get enough of them.
Even finding CCMFans has been a wonderful experience.

For me, following my local side & being able to share football with my dad is something I treasure.
MARINER`S `TIL I DIE

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Well, Im half Dutch my family having been long time players and fans of MVV and fans of Feyenoord, so all i heard as a little tacker was football is brilliant and I went to nsl games with uncles and what have you at (I think) Pratten Park at Ashfield then as I sort followed league too I use to go to Belmore to watch the bulldogs and subsequently the NSL games there as well...then I moved up to Lismore to work then moved to Brisbane to work and went to Striker's games.. Came back to nsw married Mrs recky decided to get the kids out of Airds and got transferred to Gosford to do the Outsource gig for Workcover...then the pre season cup happened bought a Mariners shirt at one of the games, went to a few games in season one cause I worked for Kerry Packer at this point and Saturday dock work was frequent...won season two passes off Telstra and have been season holders since

Ancient Mariner

I played Union from the age of 8 through to the age of 19. I used to watch Rugby League religiously from the age of 10 with my grandfather and father, faithfully following the Bears all round Sydney, Pratten Park (Wests), Henson Park (Newtown) etc. etc. That was back in the days before games were televised and you either went to the matches or listened to the radio (early 60s).

Then they did for the Bears, end of life as we know it. I have never watched a game of League since.

My son at the time was playing under 9s for Normo Eagles and his team was coached by a couple of the lads who played for Normo Prems. One day I thought I would go round and have a look at the local oval to see what serious football was like. I thoroughly enjoyed myself standing on the sideline giving advice to the coach (Paul Wade) about what they were doing wrong and how to fix it.

I was hooked and they, (Normanhurst Premier league team) replaced the Bears as "my" team.

At the end of the season the kids were to play at half time at NSO during an early game of the NPL season. I went done and saw my first game of NPL. Thoroughly enjoyed it and with my son kept going back to cheer for the Spirit boys. We somehow eventually ended up in the Mac Terrace (which was where I used to sit in the old days before there was a stand there and felt right at home, especially getting mixed up with a bunch of drunken, singing Poms (see Sacko et al). This was definitely for me.

The rest is history, followed Laurie and the boys to Gosford. Unfortunately we (me + Ancient jr) never found the same atmosphere or whatever (still great though) in Bay 16 as in the Mac Terrace so migrated to champagne and prawn sarnie country to be able to get the best view of the game. Later joined by Mrs Ancient and daughter in law. Now the 4 of us are Mariners til we die.

The Bears and Spirit times were good training for coping with the tough times and are probably the reason why I tend to get annoyed with the death riders on this forum who do not realise how lucky we are even in the bad times and continually knock. This is the best club in the A league for many reasons given in another post in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. And the future is always going to be brighter.

groundout

Well, Im half Dutch my family having been long time players and fans of MVV and fans of Feyenoord, so all i heard as a little tacker was football is brilliant and I went to nsl games with uncles and what have you at (I think) Pratten Park at Ashfield then as I sort followed league too I use to go to Belmore to watch the bulldogs and subsequently the NSL games there as well...then I moved up to Lismore to work then moved to Brisbane to work and went to Striker's games.. Came back to nsw married Mrs recky decided to get the kids out of Airds and got transferred to Gosford to do the Outsource gig for Workcover...then the pre season cup happened bought a Mariners shirt at one of the games, went to a few games in season one cause I worked for Kerry Packer at this point and Saturday dock work was frequent...won season two passes off Telstra and have been season holders since

I have a Mariners tee shirt too my little sister bought it for me. Why do I love the Mariners ? It is because of their great pitching and slugging of course.

midfielder

Long journey, started playing when I was 4 and we used ie my Dad and I to watch Auburn, then the ethnic thing kinda happened and my Dad switched to watching League although his heart was always in Football, I played league from 10 to 19, Manly was my team.... then about 22 started playing Football by accident we tried to form a league team and it was to hard and we formed a Football team...

Somehow North Rocks saw us and offered to coach us as they had two Federation sides but no All Age sides... somehow we were placed in Div 2, and somehow I kept being made a sub for the Federation 2 side [for those that don't know this was state league level]

About 27 career and overseas appointments saw me stop playing until 37, which was when I started my practice... then by sheer chance a guy at training said he was on a life time ban from anything to do with Football from the NSW State association. I asked why and said that was wrong and I would write some letters on his behalf... well it worked and some months latter he was allowed to play Over 35... I became his hero and he had won three grand finals with NSL clubs and had been the coach of an NSL side second team... he took me under his wing and taught me technical things he taught me about Football for 16 years we in that time we won a few grand finals and premierships... so much so I somehow managed to be selected in a division A side in the world masters i.e. div A meant over 60% of the player had played professionally or played for their country, I was the only player not to have played professionally..

So why the Mariners, I had a choice between the Mariners and SFC.... Gorman in a pre hal talk said he would build Australia's greatest training and technical academy... given almost my personal trainer and the side I was in just talked about about the technical aspects of the game... I was in ... and given we planned to move to the Coast it also made sense.

Gormans dream of a technical academy showing how to play was so important to how I felt about Football at the time and still now there was no other side to even consider... and as the players rolled off the production line I often think about that crazy promise Gorman made and someone in the crowd asked him how and his honest reply made me more determined to support the club.... Gorman said I don't know but I am going to keep telling people about it and I won't rest until its done.

Blackadder

Started following the Northern Spirit back in the NSL days , watching from Spirit Point 'aka' the Bob Stand , road trips to Morwell,Canberra,Wollongong (Capsicums!!!!), plus the Sydney derbies got me hooked.
While some jumped to Chardonnay set South of the Bridge, it was no a brainer to me to follow Lawrie and Co. North. :cool:

greenlig

Was super eager for the A-league when it began, was playing in/around the top level in Tassie. Didn't have a local team, I have rellies in Erina so I chose the Mariners when the foundation teams were announced. Popped over to Melbourne for a pre-season games in season 1 (beat Victory 3-1 I believe) and was hooked. Met Gumpy at the 3-3 draw with Melbourne in Season 2, he said if we came up to the coast for the NYE game he'd get us tickets. Drove up to the coast with a mate, parent's van kitted out in massive Mariners stickers, flag, etc. Observe a young Greenlig below, taking a break at Gundagai:

6f50d2364e.jpg

Got to kick the ball around at a training with the team, it was the best week of my life. Who else is there to support??

Rowdy

Was super eager for the A-league when it began, was playing in/around the top level in Tassie. Didn't have a local team, I have rellies in Erina so I chose the Mariners when the foundation teams were announced. Popped over to Melbourne for a pre-season games in season 1 (beat Victory 3-1 I believe) and was hooked. Met Gumpy at the 3-3 draw with Melbourne in Season 2, he said if we came up to the coast for the NYE game he'd get us tickets. Drove up to the coast with a mate, parent's van kitted out in massive Mariners stickers, flag, etc. Observe a young Greenlig below, taking a break at Gundagai:

6f50d2364e.jpg

Got to kick the ball around at a training with the team, it was the best week of my life. Who else is there to support??
Awesome stuff Greenlig !!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred