• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who will go further ?

Who will go further in the ACL ?

• Adelaide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jocwa08

Just wondering what your thoughts are on, on who will go furthest in the ACL ?
I think Adeliade they have been there before, have a strong squad and seem
alot more prepared than Victory are.

ryan

I do think Adelaide will. They have strengthened at the back with the Og monster and have experienced the competition already. Melbourne really need to have both strikers firing and Allsop has been in season 1 form. Good luck to both of them though

bloggo

As much as i hate saying it I believe that victory will advance to the next stage. The victory have big game playes like Archie and Muscat that can really lift the team and by the last few perfomances Hernandez has had he will play a very big role in progression. Caceras experiences this year will be vital for us next year hopefully ernie gives him heaps of game time. Melbourne did beat adelaide in their friendly played on tuesday 2-1 so we will have to wait and see how the rest turn out.

Tassiemariner

Agreed Andy. Adelaide do have the slightly easier group, Melbourne have more quality but both will come 2nd in there group.

serious14

If Melbourne play their A-Game (i.e.  the last 3 rounds of this season, most of last season) then I seriously think they could make the semi-finals...... if they play like they did for most of this season, then they will be in serious trouble.

Can't wait either way - I heart midweek football.  ;D

greenpoint

I agree with Serious. Melbourne were in incredible form at the end of the regular season, and now they have Tommy P!

Jocwa08

Saturday, 1 March 2008

Melbourne Victory has been dealt a double injury blow ahead of the AFC Champions League 2008, with Scotsman Grant Brebner ruled out of the Group Stage and Costa Rican Carlos Hernandez sidelined for six weeks.

Brebner has failed to recover from a groin injury that interrupted his Hyundai A-League 2007/08 season, while Hernandez received confirmation today that he strained his medial ligament in a training mishap earlier this week.

Hernandez, who made a successful return to the Costa Rica national team in two internationals earlier this month, fell awkwardly on his knee during a routine training drill and is expected to miss the clubs first three matches in Asias premier club competition.

Victory Coach Ernie Merrick said he was hopeful of Hernandez returning for the club's match against Gamba Osaka in Japan on Wednesday, 23 April.

It was just one of those training incidents with no-one near him, Merrick said.

He turned and his foot got stuck and twisted his knee.

Hes strained his medial ligament and the scans show that its probably a six week injury, so he should be available for our fourth match in the AFC Champions League.

Brebners rehabilitation program will continue after the club decided not to risk the midfielder for the Group Stage of the AFC Champions League, ensuring hes fully fit for the Hyundai A-League 2008/09 season.

Grant Brebner has been making great progress, in fact hes progress is so good that we wont be using him during the Group Stage of the AFC Champions League to make sure hes 100 per cent for the Hyundai A-League 2008/09 season, Merrick added.

On a more positive note, Nick Ward has begun training with the squad after groin surgery and is expected to be ready for Victorys historic first AFC Champions League match against Korea Republics Chunnam Dragons at Telstra Dome.

Nick Ward is now joining in with training and his progress is now at a stage where hes improving rapidly, Merrick said.

His rehab stage is over and hes now getting back to ball work and match practice.

He wont be available for our game on Tuesday against Adelaide United, but he should be ready for the first AFC Champions League game against the Chunnam Dragons on March 12.

Victory will host Chunnam in its opening AFC Champions League 2008 match at Telstra Dome on Wednesday, 12 March (kick off 7:30pm).

Tickets are available from any Ticketmaster outlet, by calling 136 100 or through ticketmaster.com.au.

still staying with adeliade

marinersman

For the good of our Football, I hope both of them get through.

It's a tough poll, but I went for Adelaide based on their experience from last year.

When both teams are at their peak, they're probably the best two in the country and I hope they both get through. Would be an enormous boost to our league.

Mariner Girl

I've also gone for Adelaide due to there experience last time. That and the injury problems that Melb Victory seem to be having with Brebner and Hernandez etc.  Plus Adelaide have now got the Ogre and Checkers. So go Adelaide for mine. :eek:verhead:

northernspirit

adelaide were woeful for much of the late part of the season and melbourne ended the season playing the best football of all the teams, i think melbourne

S

soccersensei

Very tough. I think Melbourne have some key big game players so will fall that way, but think with checkers and Og brute Adelaide are now a significantly better squad. Can't wait to see how they match up in Asia! But I'm going to fall on MV's side because of Archie and Kevin also.

Jocwa08

ADELAIDE

Galekovic
Cassio  Og Costanzo  Valkanis/Alagich
              Diego
Dodd        Sarkies        Pantelis
      Agostino      Burns

Bench: Beltrame, Djite, Valkanis/Alagich, Cornthwaite

MELBOURNE

Theoklitos
  Pantelidis  Ryall  Vargas  Kemp
                  Muscat