• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

what salary cap?

true believer

after hearing that perth were 700 k over the. cap (don't laugh)
is there even a real cap? do perth get fined for being over? ,,,wtf.

dibo

Shane Smeltz sits outside the cap, and while it seems implausible and poor judgement that he might be on $700k, it's certainly not impossible. Assuming that they're spending every other dollar they're entitled to spend, that would put the wage bill $700k over the amount of the salary cap without breaching any rule.

Jesus

Jesus
Shane Smeltz sits outside the cap, and while it seems implausible and poor judgement that he might be on $700k, it's certainly not impossible. Assuming that they're spending every other dollar they're entitled to spend, that would put the wage bill $700k over the amount of the salary cap without breaching any rule.
Exactly. Perth are just saying they spend 700k over the salary cap, eg marquee/Oz Marquee/ U23 Marquee.

timmers

so you can have 3 marquee's outside the cap?
Yep, so take Sydney FC for example. They have their big marquee player (ADP), their Australian marquee (Emerton) and (I assume) one of their younger players is an u23 marquee. Therefore their total wage bill is far more than 2.5m, but they fit under the salary cap.

I think it is also the case that if you sign a 'guest player' (a 6 week stint for example), then their wages are outside the cap too? Could be wrong on that one though

adz

Staff member
Yep, so take Sydney FC for example. They have their big marquee player (ADP), their Australian marquee (Emerton) and (I assume) one of their younger players is an u23 marquee. Therefore their total wage bill is far more than 2.5m, but they fit under the salary cap.

I think it is also the case that if you sign a 'guest player' (a 6 week stint for example), then their wages are outside the cap too? Could be wrong on that one though

I think you're right there. Plenty of ways to rort the salary cap!

adz

Staff member
Technically... yeah okay :D

The marquee system is a bit of a rort though... first it was just 1 marquee, which was alright I guess, but then they add an Australian marquee... under 23 marquee... (tin foil hat bit... I imagine if Sydney was still bottom of the table there would be another couple of marquee spots opened up :D)

It feels like a rort having the salary cap and then allowing players to be counted outside of it.

That's not even to mention the vague "3rd Party (3P) Agreements" listed here.

:tinfoilhat:

Bex

Yes, you could spend what you want, but only on 3 people in a team of 10. History shows that having a marquee or three outside the salary cap doesn't instantly make a winning team. It's about promoting the league, young talent and Australian talent. I like it.

Mumbles

Yes, you could spend what you want, but only on 3 people in a team of 10. History shows that having a marquee or three outside the salary cap doesn't instantly make a winning team. It's about promoting the league, young talent and Australian talent. I like it.

When you say team of 10 I'm assuming you're referring to Sydney FC who offen have one red carded player per game? :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred