• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Western Sydney going ahead in 2013 (p2)

midfielder

This has a look of success to me.... runs in the face of the no expansion policy ... means to me there must be some good news on the media deal... or they need a second Sydney team for the media deal...

Both these guys IMO are good for Football ... all I can say is I hope it comes off...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/ffa-set-to-revive-western-sydney-idea-as-nick-tana-and-remo-nogarotto-lined-up-as-backers/story-e6frf4gl-1226226897583

FFA set to revive Western Sydney idea as Nick Tana and Remo Nogarotto lined up as backers

Football Federation Australia's long-held dream of an A-League club in the west of Sydney may be back on the agenda.

Former Perth Glory owner Nick Tana and ex-Soccer Australia chairman Remo Nogarotto are being lined up for a sensational return to football as the front men for a new Western Sydney franchise.

Fox Sports understands that Tana, who bankrolled Glory into the old National Soccer League (NSL) in 1996, and subsequently won two national titles, has been approached by the FFA to be one of the main backers of the new club, with Nogarotto as his right-hand man.

Nogarotto last worked in football in Australia as a consultant for the former owner of the Newcastle Jets, Con Constantine, and currently divides his time between Australia and Italy as CEO of strategist company Crosby Textor.

The sticking point - as is normally the case with football franchises in Australia - is where the rest of the money will come from.

Tana is understood to be willing to be a significant investor, but others will be required.

The FFA will hope the involvement of Tana in particular (given his record of success in the west) will attract other would-be investors, and turn the dream of a club in the game's oft-quoted "heartland" into reality.

The news that the pair are on the brink of a return to the game represents a remarkable thawing in relations between the two and the sport's governing body.

Tana, the former owner of fast food chains Chicken Treat and Red Rooster, has been out of the game since relinquishing his role with Glory in March 2006.

His relationship with FFA in those days could best be described as "frosty" after disagreements as to how clubs would make money following the switch from NSL to A-League.

However, he remains passionate about the game, and his company, Allia Holdings, continues to run nib Stadium, where Glory play their home games.

Nogarotto was the last chairman of Soccer Australia before the old board was dissolved, and re-constituted as Football Federation Australia, under the recommendations of the Crawford Report.

Being a supporter of reform, he was not pleased to be forcibly removed from his post - tarnished, as he saw it, by those who had gone before him.

Western Sydney has long been the apple of FFA’s eye, and even though chairman Frank Lowy recently ruled out further expansion of the A-League until 2015 at the earliest, that time frame could be revisited if the finances can be found.

Money remains the key factor. After the failure of the Western Sydney Rovers bid - led by Ian Rowden and Charlie Yankos - FFA knows it cannot afford another in the nation's biggest city.

It’s not the first time Nogarotto and Tana have shown an interest in Western Sydney. Back in 2004, both sat on an advisory panel for the-then Soccer New South Wales, as they launched a bid for the sole Sydney franchise in the new A-League.

That bid - put together under the chairmanship of Tom Doumanis - failed.

This new partnership may just stand a better chance of success…if they can find the money men to go along with the project.

true believer

as that would make 11.who would be the 12th team to have 6 games a week? wollongong? morwell falcons? townsville two, the tassie "where not from the mainlanders" ?

dibo

Remo...

Soccer Australia running the NSL, NSW Liberal Party running Kerry Chikarovski's campaign, Northern Spirit, Newcastle Jets at the time of Con Constantine...

What could possibly go wrong?

Muppet

The start of the A League left a very bitter taste in the mouths of the 'old soccer' brigade. At some point this has to be bridged and now is a good a time as any. The A League is here to stay and the old clubs need to get used to that fact and get on board in supporting the new national competition.

Maybe... just maybe Reno and his cohorts are starting to realise this. The important thing with a western Sydney club is that they must MUST have more than one owner unless it is some very rich billionare. Most clubs have struggled with costs at this point and it is only the generosity of the current owners that clubs continue to operate.

Until such time as the new pay TV deal comes in which funds the salary cap and the clubs can find alternate sources of revenue ala licenced clubs all clubs will struggle.

I take the pragmatic view. If they can show the cold hard cash and can demonstrate that they can sustain it let them in. It is better to have them in the tent pissing out than out the tent pissing in. I also suspect that there is not one supporter who would not like to see a team in the west.

Now for the conspiracy theory. Is this release all about trying to get the most out of a new pay TV deal by indicating that a bigger market is around the corner pushing up the price of the deal?

true believer

Reno can f**k off

he was the liberal partys greatest weapon .he keep nsw labor two terms longer than possible with his grose incompetance. that'll garantee fatty o'barell two terms when he's shown in one what .dead beat he is.

pjennings

While I would want to see a WS team I just don't like the timing. Last time the FFA were after the investors we got the Bakrie family interested and the FFA took them for the Roar. This time we have another group interested and the FFA are looking for investors for their pet West Sydney project. I get the awful feeling we are about to be screwed again.

Muppet

While I would want to see a WS team I just don't like the timing. Last time the FFA were after the investors we got the Bakrie family interested and the FFA took them for the Roar. This time we have another group interested and the FFA are looking for investors for their pet West Sydney project. I get the awful feeling we are about to be screwed again.

Yes and No I suspect. Our time frame is much shorter (January 2012) than WS which would not enter the comp until 2013 at least. As I said I think this is part of the negotiation process for a new pay TV deal. What better way to up the price for the deal that to hold out an enticement for a true Sydney derby and a greater market. All I can say is that at the end of the day the FFA better negotiate a deal which covers the salary cap or there will be blood on the floor everywhere within the A League.

pjennings

I've still got that feeling. We brought in the Bakries and lost them when the FFA sold them the Roar and now the Russians are talking with the FFA in the final throes of our deal (just like the Bakries) and I can see us being royally screwed again.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/a-league/gold-coast-farce-a-free-kick-for-western-sydney-20120216-1tc7q.html

Gold Coast farce a free kick for western Sydney Michael Cockerill
February 17, 2012

FOOTBALL Federation Australia boss Ben Buckley has effectively put Gold Coast United on notice after a day of high farce in which coach Miron Bleiberg was stood down by volatile owner Clive Palmer, leaving the door open for a team from western Sydney to be fast-tracked into the competition.

Bleiberg was ''suspended'' by Palmer on Wednesday night after publicly suggesting the owner's decision to hand the captaincy to 17-year-old debutant Mitch Cooper was largely ceremonial.

''He will toss the coin, then he will ask Kristian Rees which way to go, and then Kristian will tell him what to do [in the game]. He will do the ceremony, it will take one minute and then the game is normal,'' Bleiberg said.

Advertisement: Story continues below Initially it was thought Bleiberg had been suspended indefinitely, before a club statement revealed he had been stood down only for tonight's match against Melbourne Heart, and is due to resume his duties for Wednesday's rescheduled fixture against Central Coast Mariners.

At this stage, Gold Coast has another two seasons remaining on its licence agreement, but Buckley indicated to The Age yesterday that all bets were off.

''We were excited about the prospects for Gold Coast from day one, no one more than me,'' he said. ''I led that expansion plan. We, and I personally, had high hopes. We've certainly fallen well short of that, and there are issues we have to confront in the future.''

Asked what the club's future was, Buckley said: ''We've had discussions with Clive and his team, and we'll continue to do that over the next weeks to address issues of the crowds, community engagement, and whether there is a real future for the club.

''The A-League's presence on the Gold Coast has not met the sort of growth and sustainability benchmarks we set for the competition, and it's time now to make a serious evaluation. That's our responsibility as the governing body.''

The latest drama follows the recent postponement of the Mariners game at short notice, the club's decision to close three stands at Skilled Park, and its decision not to attend tribunal hearings for sacked players Robson, and Peter Perchtold. Whether the club has breached the terms of the licence agreement is one issue; whether it is damaging the image of the league as a whole is another.

Either way, it seems clear the FFA's patience has worn thin, and there's little doubt a showdown is looming with Palmer. A key to the outcome will be whether the FFA can shore up a new bid from western Sydney in time for next season - allowing Gold Coast to be replaced, and therefore maintaining a 10-team league - something that will impact significantly on the next television deal, which is expected to be finalised by the end of this year.

Buckley insisted the future of Gold Coast and a second Sydney team were ''separate issues'', but it is believed talks with prospective investors in a western Sydney team have gathered pace in recent weeks. A second Sydney team, Sydney Rovers, was scheduled to enter the league this season before being withdrawn through lack of funding - something FFA chairman Frank Lowy admitted was an embarrassment to the FFA.

''I'm confident over time we will have a team in western Sydney,'' Buckley said.

dibo

There is absolutely nothing in that story to suggest anyone but Gold Coast might be moved. It lays out the reasons why under Clive they're a basketcase and no longer deserve a spot.

We might be dirt poor, but that's where it ends. Good crowds and community links, great performance on the park, good player recruitment and development. The differences are stark.

adz

Staff member
I think the issue is more about Gold Coast getting removed and a new Western Sydney team popping up.... with the mysterious Russian investors... leaving the Mariners to fend for themselves again.

pjennings

I think the issue is more about Gold Coast getting removed and a new Western Sydney team popping up.... with the mysterious Russian investors... leaving the Mariners to fend for themselves again.

That's exactly what I meant. The Mariners find the investors and the FFA take them :redcard:

dibo

If you're the FFA you're going to be looking at the Mariners' relationship with potential investors and just thinking "shit or get off the pot".

If we can't seal the deal and the investors look at other opportunities, more fool us.

midfielder

How do you know they are Russian investors...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred