• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Welcome Richard Peil - CCMFC Chairman and investor

midfielder

There's been a couple more youth coaches along the line that have really helped out.
Don't forget Ben Cahn and even Tony Walmsley who helped bring through some players.
Agree

But

Support from the top was hhhmmmm lets us far less than today or when Gorman was here

pinklady

I've been wondering the same thing about the three year and bail option. I think the timing is important. Remember that his son got a gig here before his father invested, so presumably he has the ability. For the club, Monty and the fans I dont want Monty to compromise himself by advancing a player if he isnt ready or able. Likewise I dont blame a father from moving onto something else if his son's ambitions arent achieved.
I agree that the Academy is currently producing the goods and don't want to see that upset. How good is it that talented young players move here because they know that the Academy can polish them and provide opportunities to play A League if they are up to it? I'd rather this current situation, one where this successful model works than tinker with it/discredit it by playing favourites even for a cash injection.
Technically yes but the reality is that the chair of Regional Development Australia Central Coast was asked to arrange a trial at the Mariners for his son as a sweetener to encourage Peil to invest in the Mariners (and in the Central Coast which is the aim of RDACC).

Peil Jnr was good enough to play for Belconnen United in Capital Football U18 and was part of the Capital Football Talent Support Program previously, and was one of two ACT players chosen in 2020 to play in a FFA Elite Talent Identification game. So he can play. But he will have to overcome the major perception of nepotism to succeed - i.e. he will have to be twice as good as everyone else and have a very thick skin. We should all wish him well.
Peil snr played a couple of games for Wollongong Wolves in the NSL and was appointed the Talent Identification manager when Wolves and Belconnen announced a partnership program. Hence the friendship with Luke Wilshere as Wolves Coach and Monty who was playing for Wolves at the time (2017).

Oh - and the chair of RDACC who did all the behind scenes work to get Peil to CCM - one Lawrie McKinna.

Insertnamehere

Technically yes but the reality is that the chair of Regional Development Australia Central Coast was asked to arrange a trial at the Mariners for his son as a sweetener to encourage Peil to invest in the Mariners (and in the Central Coast which is the aim of RDACC).

Peil Jnr was good enough to play for Belconnen United in Capital Football U18 and was part of the Capital Football Talent Support Program previously, and was one of two ACT players chosen in 2020 to play in a FFA Elite Talent Identification game. So he can play. But he will have to overcome the major perception of nepotism to succeed - i.e. he will have to be twice as good as everyone else and have a very thick skin. We should all wish him well.
Peil snr played a couple of games for Wollongong Wolves in the NSL and was appointed the Talent Identification manager when Wolves and Belconnen announced a partnership program. Hence the friendship with Luke Wilshere as Wolves Coach and Monty who was playing for Wolves at the time (2017).

Oh - and the chair of RDACC who did all the behind scenes work to get Peil to CCM - one Lawrie McKinna.
This is all I needed.

Yorkshire Mariners FC

Good on ya Lawrie--- hopefully.

Michael

How long till Niz and Miller get a cap?
Miller will get it well before niz. Best RB in the country and getting more minutes than the overseas options. CM has so much more depth, I think niz’s time is a ways off unfortunately. I think even Faz will get it before niz to be totally honest. Less depth in the full backs for Socceroos.

pjennings

Miller will get it well before niz. Best RB in the country and getting more minutes than the overseas options. CM has so much more depth, I think niz’s time is a ways off unfortunately. I think even Faz will get it before niz to be totally honest. Less depth in the full backs for Socceroos.
I'm not so sure. We haven't had anyone play the metronome role like Niz does since Jason Culina. We also haven't replaced the hardman Jedinak role properly. Our CM are our weakness - while we have plenty that play there the service to the strikers is abysmal hence why the tap-in merchant is crap at international level.

turbo

I'm not so sure. We haven't had anyone play the metronome role like Niz does since Jason Culina. We also haven't replaced the hardman Jedinak role properly. Our CM are our weakness - while we have plenty that play there the service to the strikers is abysmal hence why the tap-in merchant is crap at international level.
It’s about a manger knowing what they want instead of just trying to shoe horn in the ‘best’ midfielders and hoping it sticks. I’ve got no doubt he would be a useful addition to the squad but on paper it’s easier to say this guy is in the championship, this one is in brundesliga 2, this one SPL, etc.. there’s a lot more variables in midfield than there is across the back line

Ozhammer

Whilst the above is all fair, I worry that the (unwarranted) perceived concerns over his lack of physical stature will sadly count against Nizzy, at least in the near term.

The plain reality is that a small DMs are a rarity in the modern game, where size and aggression are often seen as the must-haves for that role. We all know he can do the job better than most, plus has the ability to also string attacks together and hopefully, that will allow him an NT opportunity at some point. For now though, he just needs to keep putting in consistent performances for CCM and trust that the rest will take care of itself.

Melange

It’s about a manger knowing what they want instead of just trying to shoe horn in the ‘best’ midfielders and hoping it sticks. I’ve got no doubt he would be a useful addition to the squad but on paper it’s easier to say this guy is in the championship, this one is in brundesliga 2, this one SPL, etc.. there’s a lot more variables in midfield than there is across the back line
And this guy is an old mate of mine (Grant/Redmayne)

FFC Mariner

Whilst the above is all fair, I worry that the (unwarranted) perceived concerns over his lack of physical stature will sadly count against Nizzy, at least in the near term.

The plain reality is that a small DMs are a rarity in the modern game, where size and aggression are often seen as the must-haves for that role. We all know he can do the job better than most, plus has the ability to also string attacks together and hopefully, that will allow him an NT opportunity at some point. For now though, he just needs to keep putting in consistent performances for CCM and trust that the rest will take care of itself.
Less of an issue in East Asia though.
I'd say it's prejudice mainly
Also Arnold won't play youth

Big Al

The vision that Gorman, Lawrie etc had originally was to build "the centre of football excellence in Australia"
CCM are the major feeder club for the Socceroos. Went dry for a few years but we seem to be back
You're welcome Australia
Just as the old CCM Socceroos are getting on. Sounds like perfect timing for some new CCM stars next campaign when Arnie is long gone.

Michael

You’re definitely not wrong. And saying niz’s time is awhile off isn’t a knock on him. There’s just a lot of players ahead of him.
Then think who’s ahead of Miller?… Grant (dog shit, mates with the coach) and Karacic (not bad but doesn’t get many minutes in Italy) and then who’s ahead of Faz, who’s probably been the breakout player of the season in the comp, King, davidson (almost over the hill) behich (dogshit) and maybe gersbach….

Allreet?

You’re definitely not wrong. And saying niz’s time is awhile off isn’t a knock on him. There’s just a lot of players ahead of him.
Then think who’s ahead of Miller?… Grant (dog shit, mates with the coach) and Karacic (not bad but doesn’t get many minutes in Italy) and then who’s ahead of Faz, who’s probably been the breakout player of the season in the comp, King, davidson (almost over the hill) behich (dogshit) and maybe gersbach….
You've forgotten Nat Atkinson who was the most recent starting RB and a seriously talented player. I was calling for his selection two years ago and Arnie finally listened (...ahem).

Atkinson was playing at a very high standard years before he was picked and was a standout for the Olyroos. I think Miller is easily the best RB in the AL right now but will have a job shifting Atkinson (short of injury or suspension).

They're actually very similar players - technically gifted, attacking, good motors, very physical. Both tend to get cards and suspensions, which could be Miller's best chance of replacing Atkinson.

As for Niz, easily good enough but will probably have to go OS before he gets taken seriously. There are some very good players ahead of him. Genreau, Devlin, Stensness, McGree are only just breaking through, with the likes of Mooy and Luongo still in the picture. It won't be easy for Niz, even though he could certainly do a job.

turbo

They're actually very similar players
I think that’s a big positive and a good enough reason to bring them in as first and second choice very soon (after WC qualifiers or WC should we pull off a miracle). That combo would provide consistency regardless of who is on the pitch and they’ll both be better for it

Wombat

Hopefully Richard Peil does take over the club in 3 years.
That`s not a dig at Charlesworth, who has kept our club afloat,albeit in a limited capacity.
No-one else wanted us and he put up his hand,so we do owe him a debt of gratitude.

If Peil is fair dinkum though I`d like to see him shore up our base at Tuggerah.
It`d been a production line that`s just bearing fruit for our academy players.
I`d like to see us take over the storage place next door.
It already has 4 Buildings which could easily be utilised by the club.
The back building could house the coaches rooms/gym and players facilities as it`s right on our boundary.
It also has a huge carpark and other land.
Also investigate the purchase of the other land out the back.
If, further down the track,we do build our our stadium it has a great location ie close to railway,freeway and good access to the coast.
At the least it would consolidate our future and show long term commitment to the club...

That's a decent chunk of land Steptoe has there!

Wombat

. See this for reference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami