• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Virtual Reality

greenlig

Thought I'd start a thread about this, as it's something I'm fairly heavily invested in.

A bit of background - in 2012, an 18yr old named Palmer Luckey posted some info on a forum regarding a virtual reality headset he'd been making in his parent's garage. HMDs (head mounted display) had been around for a long time, but the boom and bust of the early 90's VR craze had meant there was little innovation in the space. Luckey's headset attracted the interest of John Carmack, the father of realtime 3D rendering, and creator of Wolf3D, doom, quake, etc. Luckey sent him a hacked together unit, and Carmack displayed it in an interview at E3.

From there, VR leapt back into the public imagination. The key to this round of VR is that now the technology has caught up to the vision. Simulator sickness is a big problem, and killed off the 90's attempts at VR. The advances in tech over the following 15 years meant sim sickness could be overcome, and that's what Luckey's unit promised.

Oculus, Palmer's fledgling company, launched a kickstarter, raised millions, released two developer kits, and were bought out by Facebook. That's a very rough, Oculus-centric look at what has been going on.

So, where are we today?

In 2016, we'll the the commercial release of at least three major headsets, from Oculus, Sony, and HTC/Valve. We already have Samsung's GearVR, a mobile headset developed with Oculus that uses their flagship phones as the screen/hardware.

What's the experience like?

The key thing that VR provides is what people are calling "presence". When all the elements of your audio and visual systems are fully immersed, you can really feel like you are inside a virtual world. You get a sense of scale that you can't get on a normal screen, because it's true stereoscopic 3D. This is nothing like 3D TVs, it far outstrips that.

I have been using a social VR app a fair bit recently, Convrge, which allows a bunch of people to sit around a campfire, or in front of a big screen, and easily talk to each other. It's pretty incredible.

I'm really interested in where education can go with VR, and that's a big focus for me over the next few years. Research clearly shows that we learn better in groups and communities, and the presence VR affords means it can have a massive impact on distance education. Distance students find it harder to progress in their studies exactly because of that community deficit. One study showed that distance students with a simple web forum, like this one, progressed better than students without. VR will take that to the next level again, where you actually feel present with those people in a safe, designed-for-learning environment. Very exciting stuff.

2016 is going to be a big year for VR. It'll take 3 years to really be mainstream, but it's beginning now. Has anyone here used one of the headsets currently available? I'm pretty excited about the consumer release, but I've got most of the released headsets to date and use my GearVR regularly. Happy to answer any questions!

greenlig

A 980 Ti should do the trick. Recommended specs for the Rift reckon you can get away with a 970 though.

FPS are a bit tricky. Sim sickness comes about when the visual perception systems in the brain pick up vection/locomotion, but the inner ear doesn't get the same stimuli. Basically, if your eyes think you are moving the brain expects the inner ear to confirm that. Kind of similar to car sickness in kids. Eventually that will be surpassed as tech works a way around it, but for now it's still an area with a lot of experimentation.

Check out Epic's version of FPS though. I tried it at Connect 2 a few months ago, really cool and a bit confronting. Those dudes are BIG when they are right in front of you. A few people had to stop because it was so intense.

You are in Vic, so if you get the chance, try out Zero Latency in North Melbourne. Interesting use of VR and open space to make a shooter.

VicMariner

I'd like to see a FIFA based vr game
The thing I see as immersion breaking is the type of control peripheral. A racing sim with a wheel or flight sim with joystick would go ok. FPS...don't know. Same with a game like FIFA. Not sure how it will go with joypad or mouse and keyboard.
I have never tried a VR system. Maybe it's not a problem.
The potential is exciting though.

greenlig

Actually a FIFA game would probably be really cool. There's plenty of VR games where the perspective isn't from the character's POV, and they work really well. I reckon we'll see something like this in the next 5 years.

[EDIT] Just to back that wild speculation up a bit, my partner works at EA and I know they are actively exploring the VR space. Nothing official, just research stuff, but I'm sure they are watching it closely. If Sony's Playstation VR gets big, and Microsoft's support of the Oculus Rift is solid, then it makes sense for them to extend that way.

dibo

Sometimes in FIFA I don't want to see the angle they give me - I want to look ahead of play to see where to play to next. VR would allow this, giving a simulated stadium view whilst you play.

greenlig

Yeah, it is expensive, but that's par for the course with brand new, high-end tech. Gear VR is a great, entry level VR experience for AUD$150 provided you have a Samsung Note 5/S6/Edge/+.

greenlig

If you head to the Samsung store - http://www.samsung.com/au/c/p/SM-R322NZWAXSA you can see the consumer model there. I have the Innovator Edition that was released 6 months earlier, but they are essentially the same kit. Your phone plugs into it, and from there you can watch movies, play games, hang out in various social apps, etc. If you get a bluetooth controller (I have a SteelSeries one), it works well with the phone and allows you to play more traditional games.

The library of content is growing, with new titles coming every week or so. It's early days, but the product is really good. If you want a relatively cheap entry into VR, this is the place to get it. I've got two of them and I show it to as many people as I can.

What I'd LOVE is for the Mariners to invest in a 360 1080p camera, and bring it along to training sessions/games. That would be exciting!

Forum Phoenix

I own two businesses, one is a film company. Everyone pretty much knows it's the future, lot's of movement this way... but don't think anyone is really sure what form or forms it will take though... movies and games becoming even more hybrid to operate in virtual choose your own adventure / Fable video game kind of path...

Did you have a gander at the Force awakens little virtual trailer they did by any chance? Very interested to hear your thoughts on any all of this.

The stuff about VR learning was very interesting also.
Agree it's exciting stuff!

Thanks for sharing Greenlig
Great thread :thumbup:

greenlig

Did you have a gander at the Force awakens little virtual trailer they did by any chance? Very interested to hear your thoughts on any all of this.

I did have a look at that, yeah. I thought it was fun, if not a little aimless? Seemed more like a "hey we can do this cool tech thing" rather than a fully conceived project.

360 vid's biggest downside is lack of parallax, because its generally shot from an array of 2 or more fish-eye lenses. If you look at something in the foreground and move your head from side to side, you'll notice the background moves slower. That's essentially what parallax is. There is tech coming out to compensate for that (light-field cameras), which gives you just enough parallax to make 360 vid have much more depth, but that's a few years out I think.

The best bang for buck at the moment is filming things at a relatively set depth (say, a football game from the stands?) where parallax won't be so noticeable.

In terms of more hybrid stuff, you should have a look at what Oculus Story Studio are doing. I watched/experienced the Henry short at Oculus Connect last year and it was very, very impressive. I sat down beside this little character as they went about their business, and felt incredibly involved in the story. Quite hard to describe.

For me, the big adoption will occur when consumers can create content for VR that is a natural fit for the platform. So when we get cheap, simple 360 cameras that have some form of parallax, with an end-to-end solution for sharing the content, then people can really start to share. That is reasonably close to happening, too. I reckon in two years the landscape is going to look remarkably different.

Bit of a ramble there, I'm bloody tired!

greenlig

Necro-ing this thread due to two of the big three headsets being released. Has anyone had a chance to play around with the Oculus Rift or the HTC Vive?

I've got a Vive here in Melbourne, haven't set it up yet though. Bought a new PC in the US last week so I can do some development stuff in VR. If any of you are in Melbourne and want to try out VR, I'll be setting up a VR space soon and you are welcome to visit!

My quick review of the landscape now is:
1) Oculus has built a very, very good piece of kit. It's comfortable, light, and the experience is very simple. Plug in a bunch of USB cables and you are away. This is in stark contrast to the Vive, which has quite the setup.
2) Position-tracked controllers make the Vive a more complete unit, and there are some incredibly convincing experiences out there now. It's going to be a thing, for sure. Oculus have their Touch controllers landing soon, developers already have them (I got a chance to mess around with them, they are great).
3) PlaystationVR has a launch date and a price. This will be massive, as they have 40 million consoles out there. They are the sleeping giant here. I've tried the headset, it's super comfortable and they get a lot of juice out of the PS4.

I'm excited for both the development and experience opportunities :)

JoyfulPenguin

Necro-ing this thread due to two of the big three headsets being released. Has anyone had a chance to play around with the Oculus Rift or the HTC Vive?

I've got a Vive here in Melbourne, haven't set it up yet though. Bought a new PC in the US last week so I can do some development stuff in VR. If any of you are in Melbourne and want to try out VR, I'll be setting up a VR space soon and you are welcome to visit!

My quick review of the landscape now is:
1) Oculus has built a very, very good piece of kit. It's comfortable, light, and the experience is very simple. Plug in a bunch of USB cables and you are away. This is in stark contrast to the Vive, which has quite the setup.
2) Position-tracked controllers make the Vive a more complete unit, and there are some incredibly convincing experiences out there now. It's going to be a thing, for sure. Oculus have their Touch controllers landing soon, developers already have them (I got a chance to mess around with them, they are great).
3) PlaystationVR has a launch date and a price. This will be massive, as they have 40 million consoles out there. They are the sleeping giant here. I've tried the headset, it's super comfortable and they get a lot of juice out of the PS4.

I'm excited for both the development and experience opportunities :)
I would love to check it out if it's possible! The tech is really, really exciting.

greenlig

The Oculus Connect 3 developer conference ended today. It was a good event, and had a surprising amount of announcements. I'm right into non-gaming applications for VR, so it was good to see a big focus on the social aspects. The Verge made a great video of the event, check it out to get up to speed on where VR is at.

Big Al

Season 3 episode 5 of ballers just focused on VR

First one had 2 ladies which lost their clothes (a real shame), then used for the NFL players to practice instead of game tape and third was used to show what a brand new football stadium would look like.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred