• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Unpasteurized Milk ??

nearlyyellow

FFS. Some people just have a blind spot when it comes to scientific/medical advances safeguarding their health. These are probably the same damn people who believe that there are more health risks in immunization than not having it. I am old enough to remember parents living in fear of diseases that are no longer prevalent in society. Poliomyelitis, tetanus, diphtheria, scarlet fever, meningitis, pneumonia, to mention a few. Kids with leg braces hobbling around, withered arms, were common at school. Whenever a kid got one of the communicable diseases, even measles or mumps, they were strictly quarantined by officials.

And here are these stupid people believing the guff they may have read on xyz healthy living site on the interwebz and ignoring scientific evidence and advice from such knowledgeable bodies as the US FDA which spell out the risks involved in using unpasteurized milk. That's how come the death rates among children have dropped in the last 120 years or so from 100 or so per 100,000 to less than 10 . What, do they want a return to the bad old days when every parent lived in fear of childhood diseases, where families had 10 - 12 children in the expectation that they would lose some to diseases? Fair bloody dinkum.
Climbing down now.:soapbox:

MagpieMariner

When I was a toddler the milkman (milklady in my case) used to deliver door-to-door. It was of course unpasteurised, but my Grandma always boiled it before I was given any to drink.

nearlyyellow

When I was a toddler the milkman (milklady in my case) used to deliver door-to-door. It was of course unpasteurised, but my Grandma always boiled it before I was given any to drink.
Hmmm, you may have wondered as you got older why the hair seemed to migrate from your head down to your ears, nose and face? Well, it was the unpasteurized milk you drank as a kid. ;) :D

nearlyyellow

Actually, bear with me for a short story.

I grew up in Cooma. There was a telegraph pole at the end of the street with these substantial nails hammered into it. Everybody had a billycan with a lid which was left on your nail with a note and coin in it for the milkman. He came from Bega with the milk in these big galvanised tubs or containers. He used a pint ladle to put the required milk into your billycan. You then collected your billycan in the morning and heaven help any kid who dropped the billycan and spilt the milk, because there was no other source. That milk was also unpasteurized!

The unpasteurized milk was outlawed by law a few years after we go to Cooma and a milk processing dairy was established in the town where the milk was pasteurized and bottled. All we had to worry about then were the magpies pecking through the foil lids for a bit of a cream fix (the milk was not homogenised in those days, 1/4 of the bottle, the top bit, was so creamy if you could get it separately you could actually whip it into cream for scones, cakes etc.)

Geeze I'm getting old, telling stories like that, which is true, both counts. :)

MagpieMariner

Hmmm, you may have wondered as you got older why the hair seemed to migrate from your head down to your ears, nose and face? Well, it was the unpasteurized milk you drank as a kid. ;) :D
Actually, for a bloke past retiring age, I've got a reasonable amount of hair on my head still. Certainly more than my Dad when he died (at 52), he looked like a monk. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami