UEFA Europa League Thread

Discussion in 'Overseas Football' started by skilbeck, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Sym

Sym New Member

Pompey
    heh : P

Should be an interesting final, Athletico are unpredictable as. And Aguero is awesome.

2. dibo

dibo Well-Known Member

Spanish side: CHECK

Wears red and white: CHECK

Last club match before the world cup: CHECK

3. happy

happy Member

Sorry guys, but I really would have loved to see Hamburg playing the final in their home stadium. bit disappointed now
    Hamburg has started really well and that free kick was just great

congrats to Fulham anyway
    btw. pretty nice stadium over there in England (from what I have seen on tv)

4. FFC Mariner

FFC Mariner Well-Known Member

If Messi had scored the 1st goal, we would be hearing about it for years............

From the Guardian

As Fulham were trailing at the beginning of the second half it was impossible to foresee their latest comeback. It was then that the home support on all four sides of Craven Cottage took to their feet and bellowed their defiance. "Stand up, if you still believe."

Mohamed Al Fayed, the club's chairman, had started the evening by flicking V-signs at the travelling support, as he ambled past them. He finished it by waving his scarf above his head, in that slightly lugubrious manner of his, as all four sides of Craven Cottage rocked to a delirious beat. They will tell you the result was never in doubt.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/5508872/

5. Arabmariner

Arabmariner New Member

Well in Fulham.........fantastic stuff.

Some of their fans commitment leaves a bit to be desired though............ :popcorn:

6. FFC Mariner

Allocation of 12,500 tickets sold out by 3pm day after the semi.

top effort

7. Arabmariner

Arabmariner New Member

2nd post down on the page is commitment......

http://www.eastfootball.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=27011&page=3

;)

8. Arabmariner

Arabmariner New Member

Bound to be a few spares becoming available from the cancelled Hamburg party... ;)

9. serious14

serious14 Well-Known Member

This beckons the question - why do the likes of Villa, Bolton, and on occasion Spurs and Everton, fight tooth and nail to get into UEFA Cup/Europa, then whinge about the extra games all season long, and inevitably sacrifice their spot, usually a Round of 16 or Quarter Final by that point, by sending out the kids away to a team from Moscow/Romania/Hungary/insert far off destination here. 

Fulham have been at this particular caper since late July - I can't recall Sir Woy of Hodgson whinging once??  Truly one of football's good guys.  ;D

10. serious14

I'm keen if you are.  Not that far to drive.  :p

11. dru

dru Active Member

It is probably because they see it as a stepping stone goal to challenge the big boys of the top 4, where as clubs who see it as a enormous achievement in itself will fight tooth and nail to do well because it obviously means so much for the fans.

12. serious14

Surely the recognition and the prize money (a not exactly inconsequential 12 million or so) of doing well would help to attract bigger names to the club(s) in question and thus help the push onwards and upwards??

And it's not as if Everton ('95) or Villa ('96) have won anything in a while.....

13. dru

dru Active Member

Yes the lure of playing in European competitions is attractive for players but they need to get there every year. That is easier to do through placing well in the premier league than winning Europa league. I think that the clubs that complain are ones that feel that they need to be there the year after next at the very least, so they end up concentrating on it rather than doing well in the comp at the end. Also by that stage in the competition you are facing teams that trickled down from champions league and are by no means easy beats.

You also have the possibility that if you bank on the money of doing well each year in it to get the cash if you suddenly don't you are looking at doing a leeds.

At the end of the day will recognition for doing well and prizemoney really count for much when Fulham is recruiting next year? if they don't win they won't be playing in the comp next season.

14. serious14

Hmmmmm..... it is sad that it has come to that though.

I guess my main point was the whinging, when these managers full well know what they're getting into by qualifying for this competition - not to mention screwing over the fans with these ludicrous third string teams in later season games (O'Neill, Megson - I'm looking at you).

I just admire the way that Sir Woy has been in it to win it from the start.

15. dru

dru Active Member

It is indeed sad, and the whinging is indeed a load of crap.

The good clubs don't make excuses they knuckle down come back from behind and make the final anyway.

16. serious14

I remember enjoying your run quite a lot, if only for the ridiculous nature of it.

"3 away goals down at half-time??  Whatever."  *cue goal rampage*

17. Arabmariner

Arabmariner New Member

If the likes of Villa and Everton don't want to be in it they should give their spot up to the next in line who does.

But then what would their fans think ?

18. FFC Mariner

Loads on eBay from Ze Chermans and Scousers (snigger)

Post from the MB.................

Officially, we have been allocated and sold out sectors 10-16 of the Nordbank Arena.

My suggestion for people without a ticket at the moment and are looking to get one off ebay or off a Krout( German tout,affectionate term), is to buy their tickets which are from SECTORS 6 to 17.

I wouldn`t be suprised if we take near 20,000 so if we fill up these sections, we will ensure that we`ve got a big concentration of Fulham fans,so nobody will be too far away from another Fulham supporter, and quite possibly taking up the whole of the south side and bits of the east & west, making it a bit of a spectacle.

Personally, 100% of it for me is shouting & singing & hopefully celebrating with other Fulham fans and not be stifled by the Platini`s Prawn sarnie brigade out in sector 5 looking like Fritz no mates.

So if we can keep this in mind when buying tickets, it`ll be good for all of us.

19. Arabmariner

Arabmariner New Member

What sector did you get ours in FFC ?......

20. happy

happy Member

why are we called Krouts? Where does this come from?