• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

UEFA Champions League Group Stage 2008-09

dru

skilbeck said:
i thought it was 3rd place and there is another round before the end of the group stage, correct me if im wrong though

The problem is you'll be tied for 3rd place not outright third

I think this is a good indication that your out.

Aalborg BK came from behind in stirring fashion to defeat Celtic FC 2-1 and secure both third place in Group E and UEFA Cup football at the expense of their visitors.

and for all things truthful wiki

Tie-breaking criteria
Based on paragraph 4.05 in the UEFA regulations for the current season, if two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:

higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
superior goal difference from all group matches played;
higher number of goals scored in all group matches played;
higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons.

serious14

From Football365.com

Marseille coach Eric Gerets has begged his club's supporters to behave during Tuesday night's Champions League match against Atletico Madrid which is dominating the headlines for the wrong reasons.

Tensions are running high ahead of the clash at the Stade Velodrome as a result of incidents which occurred during the first meeting of the two sides at the Vicente Calderon.

There were confrontations between visiting fans and local police prior to kick-off of that October 1 match and one OM supporter, Santos Mirasierra, was last week sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison by a Spanish court for his part in the incident.

OM's players, coaching staff and supporters have been left horrified by Friday's verdict and the club's Ultras, the hard-core fan base Santos was part of, will show their disgust on Tuesday.

In a press conference they held on Sunday, leaders of the group said they would not be entering the Velodrome to watch the match while they have urged fellow fans to wait as long as possible before kick-off before taking their seats.

They will also distribute 40,000 T-shirts to fans in a show of support for Santos.

Violence could flare up before or during the game, and Atletico president Enrique Cerezo has repeatedly advised his team's fans not to travel to France for safety reasons.

Gerets, whose side need to win to guarantee third spot in the group and a place in the UEFA Cup's last 32, has pleaded with supporters to act sensibly in the interests of the club.

"I hear that the Ultras want to stay outside the stadium," said the Belgian. "That is bad for two reasons.

"Firstly, we need them to encourage us and we are going to miss them.

"Also, because they are human beings. There is so much injustice vis-a-vis the Santos affair that if there are 2,000-4,000 people outside, even if they don't want to cause trouble, it could all explode at any moment.

"We can't allow that to happen. This match will be followed very closely by UEFA, by everyone.

"I know it is difficult. I myself feel like revolting. But we must keep everything under control."

Prior to Santos' conviction, Atletico received insulting and threatening emails - including death threats - from people believed to be OM fans.

The death threats warned of eight Atletico followers being killed - one for every year of the sentence public prosecutors from Madrid's Supreme Court had demanded Santos be imprisoned for.

It is under this cloud that the match will take place.

As for matters on the pitch, even though Atletico have sealed a top-two finish alongside Liverpool, they will want to end the group campaign in first position to secure what should be an easier last-16 tie.

OM are level on points with PSV Eindhoven but above the Dutch side by virtue of their head-to-head record, with third place up for grabs.

Marseille will be without striker Mamadou Niang, who has been ruled out for six weeks with a foot injury sustained during Saturday's 2-1 win over Nice.

Atletico, buoyant after a 5-2 thrashing of Sporting Gijon at the weekend, will rest defender John Heitinga and winger Simao Sabrosa, with Luis Perea, Miguel de las Cuevas and Ignacio Camacho added to the squad.

Coach Javier Aguirre has set his sights on top spot in the group with his team level on 11 points with Liverpool.

"At the start of the season our objective was to get into the Champions League, to be in the group stages and get through to the following phase," he said.

"We had to return Atletico to the place where they deserve to be. The team has a chance to be first in the group, and we cannot allow that opportunity to escape us.

"I have all the players available and we have to see who is in the best shape to play."

Right-back Giourkas Seitaridis added: "It will be a game to enjoy.

"It will be difficult because there will be an intimidating atmosphere. But I'm sure there will not be any problems because they will fear being fined."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred