The Stajcic Era, a Partnership of desperates or a Marriage Made in Heaven?

Discussion in 'Central Coast Mariners FC' started by Ancient Mariner, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Insertnamehere

Insertnamehere Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me, but I'll wait and see the results first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Waspish

Waspish Active Member

I feel the same way.
    That said I'm growing in confidence in Staj by the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tevor

Tevor Well-Known Member

At the start of every season for the last 4 years I have listened and absorbed the vision of the manager and club. I really hope this season is different. I don’t need a lot just some consistency, hard work and truth. I’m rusted on just make me proud.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Forum Phoenix

Forum Phoenix Well-Known Member

This.

5. Waspish

Waspish Active Member

I'm growing in confidence in our coach's ability but I'm yet to feel any real hope for the season. FFA cup displays might start to help if there's any quality but like many I need to be won over by demonstrated progress now, nothing short of that will do.
    At least Staj seems to realise this.

6. FFC Mariner

FFC Mariner Well-Known Member

Is this his "age of mediocrity is over" speech? The club has lied and bullshitted its fans for 4 seasons - the fact that they put out these puff pieces is not only patronising, its stupid.
    Keep quiet until you can win some games

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Insertnamehere

Insertnamehere Well-Known Member

I guess Im in a similar boat. The difference in the situation that i can feel is the opposite to all the rumour and inuendo of the previous regimes.
    All ive read is Staj is ripper bloke and great coach/manager. Obviously leaving out the FFAs gripe with him.

8. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

I kind of get the opposite impression, I read it like Staj is going to be asked those kind of questions and instead of giving a grand speech or beating his chest he’s saying we know we need to act rather than talk and they’ve been working on the attitude needed to turn the club around including some player changes. I think quietly confident is a better fit for the situation we’re in and hopefully Staj can restore some credibility to the club.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Waspish

Waspish Active Member

Yeah that's how I see it too. I also think Staj is fully aware of where we're coming from and knows we'll probably lose more than we win in the early days so doesn't want to offer false hope. I respect that more than the unfounded hype of previous years

• Like Like x 1
  10. Big Al

Big Al Well-Known Member

Staj has us heading in the right direction but recruitment is still 2nd class players.

That is down possibly to our piss poor previous seasons and duds taking up necessary salary to improve it.

The Koreans are still a worry. Not signed up properly and not fully on the pitch.

We are also missing a goal keeper which is of major importance.

An experienced CB of class is also required for a fighting team like ours with horrendous defence

It’s going to be slow improvement but I’ll be happy with that.

If some of the young guns fire then it will be a good season

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. scottmac

scottmac Well-Known Member

Recruitment will always be second class with us. The difference has to be the coaching and the organisation. We need to be prepared well and have the perfect mentality. Arnies team in reality, before his seasons wasn't the type of class that it is in retrospect. Arnie and the mariners made it class.
    This is why Shaun and Charlesworth will continue to cop the flack because they need to be the difference and i don't think they get it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Cricko_086

Cricko_086 Active Member

I think the erosion of the last few years has meant that any truly successful season will only be possible after 1-2 years of pure rebuilding. Last year was meant to be such a year, but lets not go on about that.

So far the signs (assuming our Korean friends are signed), are beginning to point in that direction. Granted a starting GK would be a massive piece in that puzzle but it seems as thought that ship may have sailed.

In saying all of that I honestly believe that Staj and co are the right fit for us. As was mentioned before, he doesn't have the same quotes as previous years. Maybe because he was here when the wounds of last season were still on going.

Or I'm doing the same thing as every other year and getting my hopes up too early. Time will tell

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tevor

Tevor Well-Known Member

I agree a lot of the decisions on players seem to have at least a 2 to 3 year plan not just a quick sugar fix for the upcoming season. This has made me want to enjoy the rebuild (finally). Next season will be key when Simon and Weemac move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MagpieMariner

MagpieMariner Well-Known Member

The one good thing I see about Staj is that he's had more experience at a very high level than any previous coach we've had, and I include Arnie (when he came to us) in that.

15. FFC Mariner

The dead wood wage thieves have to leave, we need a goal keeper (Pearce in the wet on Wednesday night scares me shitless), The Koreans are a must together with an experienced CB and a quality striker
    This time next year before all of that can happen.
    All i hope for this season is not last.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SuperHans

SuperHans Member

Often new managers bring along players they are familiar with (eg Arnie raiding our staff and Moss dumping Sim on us) which can be an unnecessary expense. No chance of Staj bringing along players from his last gig :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Dobbie

Dobbie Member

I agree, seems to have clicked and from what I've seen so far. Staj seems like a straight shooter with more rigour and professional experience than the coaches of the last few years, the proof will be in the pudding though but I like what I see so far. He hit the nail on the head in that interview, we've heard it all before and the numerous Fb posts saying people won't renew until they see proof of improvement is testament to that. (although I already renewed based on what I've seen to date).

No one seems to have mentioned it much, I thought the big young fella at CB from the youth team, Miller, was very impressive in the friendly against Manly, I'd like to see him given a chance....

• Like Like x 2
  18. pjennings

pjennings Well-Known Member

Given that we are only going to sign 20 or 21 then I suspect Hatch, Miller and Moric from the NPL will all be part of the extended squad.

19. FFC Mariner

Not as good as Glassock (who should have got a run at the back end of last season) but a decent prospect none the less

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. style_cafe

style_cafe Well-Known Member

I wouldn`t mind Alanna Kennedy at the back for us though...:popcorn:

Welcome aboard the forum too mate . I hope you enjoy it as much as we do :overheadl:

• Like Like x 1