• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Pecking Order Vision – The Future of Australian Football

pjennings

I, along with many, have become disillusioned with the fourfourtwo forums. However, occasionally a gem is produced. The article comes with the refreshing premise - It’s very easy to say ‘that won’t work’. It’s much harder, but infinitely more rewarding, to ask ‘how can that work?’.

The Pecking Order Vision – The Future of Australian Football
Post by Jake Shorter / in 2017-03-22

I've spent a lot of time recently thinking, reading and talking about the issues (perceived or real) that we currently have in Australian football. And it's all come together in a blog post I've written that offers some solutions and will hopefully encourage more discussion and possibly even some action.

Feedback is very much welcome.

It's a huge post, so I won't post it all, but if anyone is interested you can see the whole thing here - http://thepeckingorder.com.au/tpovision/

The reason it's so long is because I've covered pretty much anything I thought to be relevant:

Here's a quick snapshot:
I’ll dive straight in by showing you my vision for what the Australian football pyramid can and should look like. Imagine an all-inclusive system with 10 tiers of football, two of which are fully professional, which has over 500 clubs competing and is open to any other club around the country who wants to participate.

Better than that, it’s designed to encourage investment in facilities and player development and reward those that have a desire and take action towards becoming a professional club. At the same time, it finds balance with the current A-League and provides some protection for those professional clubs. It also allows the A-League to remain the key commercial driver for our sport, while taking the shackles off all other clubs and allowing them to drive the game forward at the elite level. In other words, it engages clubs at all levels to play their part in growing football, and clubs of all sizes have a part to play.

Believe it or not (and I prove it in the full blog post), it’s a structure that is very similar to what we have now, but with a few changes that all fall under the same category – they encourage growth, inclusiveness and a drive to professionalism. Note that I’ve left out the regional leagues and focussed on the State Leagues in this diagram. There are just as many clubs outside of this setup in regional associations who underpin everything and have the potential to be linked to this as well.

VicMariner

The big problem in Oz is that we have Union, League, proper football and Oz rules in the one country.
If league and AFL f**k off and die, we can sit pretty with Union.

The reality is, we have to grow the the game at the local level.

It is depressing to see the PM at an AFL game with the Chinese bigwig. Football (soccer) is the future.

pjennings

I found it a really good article. The guy put a lot of thought into and in reality made minimal changes to connect the Australian football pyramid. He showed things that are being made hard are not necessarily that hard. I like the way he came at it. How do we make it work rather than this is why it can't.

Insertnamehere

I think the FFA should at 3 leagues for inspiration. Bundesliga, MLS and J-League.
All have contexts that are highly relevant and easily applicable to Australian football in their various ways. Germany has a 'soft salary cap' based upon turnover, mls had a very different ownership model to being with as does j-league, mls has different marquee options, j-league/Japan has massively different youth development models. All have very very strong fan engagement models, MLS primarily is one model we need to investigate due to a similar sporting market.
I reckon the FFA should turn the NPL into a real second div. Give whatever teams end up in the 8-10 team comp 5 years to prove viability then promote 2 in year 6 to a-league while taking on 2-4 new NPL teams and relegating 2 via playoff or deprofessionalisation. Then in another say 3-5 years promote another 2 and start aleague promotion / relegation the next season. So within 10 years you have 14 aleague and 14 NPL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred