• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Should Kuol start?

Should Kuol be in the starting lineup?

• Total voters

Forum Phoenix

Old Spice,

Sorry, but absolute load of bollocks that Kuol is lazy and he deserves better than that slur. Pretty clear in his early games he is a young player trying to figure out when and where he's supposed to sit and when to press like a loon and trying not wanting to make a mistake and get out of position. But when he's given license to press like he does it like a madman, that is not the behaviour of a lazy player. Nor does he have the attitude of a lazy player.

It goes without saying (or should) that Staj knows more than the pundits on a fan forum. But though Turbo is right when he says, Staj isn't perfect and can still be questioned along with anyone else. The more important point is this is a football forum. The lions share of what's on here and what people do, is all just speculation and conjecture. For the most part it's what you do on the forum. It's fun. I come here to agree, disagree and look forward to hearing arguments good enough that I change my mind or think about things in a different way - which is awesome. But Staj knows more than you so you couldn't possibly be right doesn't offer anything. It's just an 'argument from authority' and all it does is close down debate. Which is the main point of the forum.

So I'm as interested in what you think as anyone else Old Spice. But you're in the land of the arm chair experts now. So bit crazy to whinge about people coming on here to be arm chair experts.

Forum Phoenix

We need to go back and watch the first couple of games when Kuol started, everyone was distracted because we were winning, but the TV would literally pick up Staj, constantly yelling, "Alou, your man!" "Alou Move!" he is definitely lazy on defence; as I said before, yes, he does make the occasional explosive trackback, but it is few and far between. I watch every striker In the A-league off-ball and take physical notes to try and improve my own coaching game, and his lack of defensive effort is apparent.

The last question is a good one and something to think about! Marco is just as bad as Alou, if not worse, in terms of defensive effort but makes up with his offensive creativity. Are you going to risk having two people on at the same time who are defensive liabilities? You need Simon to balance out Marco, and you need Bouman/Nis to balance out Alou!
In terms of what Simon brings when linking up with Marco that Alou doesn't? Composure, experience, defensive aggression, leadership, heart, work rate, ariel prowess (but I would def give the edge to Alou here), soft first touch, creativity, finishing (arguably) height, extra playmaking with Macro.

What does Kuol bring that Simon doesn't? Speed, acceleration, jumping ability (reportedly has the highest vertical leap in the club), fitness (arguably), strength (Arguably), offensive enthusiasm.

Why does Kuol have to replace Urena? Because Marcos productivity drops off exponentially in the second half of every game.

A bit irresponsible to jump to any conclusions about man management in the dressing room, don't you think?
That's not "lazy" it's just inexperience.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

He definitely does. Yes he might have the odd occasion where he will track back and make an explosive tackle, but take specific note of when oppositions play out from the back, he will literally be walking on defence, he will miss pressing on heavy first touches and lacks the enthusiasm to cover passing lanes. I hate bagging on the guy because he is my fav player, but there is a reason Staj makes the double change at striker, you need Simon to balance out Marco and you need Bowman/Nis to balance out Alou
Like your reasoning. But disagree. None of our strikers have been pressing much lately. Staj wants shape and control ASAP over trying to force turn overs and press.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Hmmm, id have Kuolity and Marcos starting and Simmo coming on at 55 - 60 to replace whichever needs it ....remember how scary he was coming on late for Smurfs ...fark moi

turbo

If you want to see a striker who is lazy in defence, watch Robbie Kruse. Alou and Marco look like workaholics in defence compared to him.
Which is kind of odd because on the left wing for the NT he was often one of the hardest working players on the pitch. Not effective going forward and lives offside but cant deny the work rate.

Ozhammer

If you want to see a striker who is lazy in defence, watch Robbie Kruse. Alou and Marco look like workaholics in defence compared to him.
Not sure I agree with that comment AM, as I reckon Kruse has been amongst Victory’s best all season based on his work rate.

I will acknowledge that’s a low bar and whilst I am no fan of him generally, credit where credit is due.

booney

Don't love Kruse but he and McManaman have been the only shining lights for Victory this season.They are paying the penalty for not blooding their younger players during Muskrat's tenure.

Huddo

I feel the issue is the precarious way in which the games are ending, if we were 2 up more often with 20 to go (I think it's happened once), the natural chance to blood players would exist more often, the issue is if we win by one the coach has to trust that a new player won't upset the team.
At the start of the year we were forced in to experimentation because of a lack of perceived depth.
The contradiction in this is, the more successful our team has been the more hesitant the coach has become to experiment (especially with the backline), and that's fine if we were sitting at above a 35% win rate, but 1 from 7 should be forcing experimentation.

Insertnamehere

We were winning without Urena on the paddock is the main difference. Since he's been a starter we've stalled.

I feel the issue is the precarious way in which the games are ending, if we were 2 up more often with 20 to go (I think it's happened once), the natural chance to blood players would exist more often, the issue is if we win by one the coach has to trust that a new player won't upset the team.
At the start of the year we were forced in to experimentation because of a lack of perceived depth.
The contradiction in this is, the more successful our team has been the more hesitant the coach has become to experiment (especially with the backline), and that's fine if we were sitting at above a 35% win rate, but 1 from 7 should be forcing experimentation.

Insertnamehere

Sorry to burst your bubble Insert, but Urena's started pretty much every game. And he's contributed to some epic wins and draws
He didn't play the first 5, then came off the bench for the next 2. Of those first 7 games we went 5-0-2. In the last 10 we've gone 3-4-3. With 1 win between the groups.
Also didn't say he hasn't contributed. Most definitely has.
And corellation doesnt equal causation I know but him in and DDS/Ruon out a game here and there are the main changes to our team in that time.

Huddo

He didn't play the first 5, then came off the bench for the next 2. Of those first 7 games we went 5-0-2. In the last 10 we've gone 3-4-3. With 1 win between the groups.
And corellation doesnt equal causation I know but him in and DDS/Ruon out a game here and there are the main changes to our team in that time.

I think the timing is everything with those 7 games, team's were underestimating our improvement, and looked at the points not the game.
Now we are perceived as contenders, team's are approaching with a completely mind set.

In those seven games the opposition did a high press on us We were able to counter it, with the fast counter, and against Brissie I'd be looking to do the same, but against some of the other teams they now sit back like Sydney did and try to use movement forward to wear us down, destabalize our lines.

Tevor

Stens had a good period out as well. We did well without Stens but suffered with him getting back into shape IMO.

Insertnamehere

How good is it to be working on what can get us back to our top of the table form, and not working out why we're so shit?

Urena has been a great pick up. From what ive seen and watched, the homework the club did on him was bang on.

And our defeats have come from not defending well enough, and not a deficit in goal scoring. Again a novelty.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami