• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round One Local Thread

Ted

Gopher of Pern said:
I'm sure every player is worried about refereeing, as the ref always goes the other way! :p

On a different note, in our game last weekend, the referee awarded a corner, saying the ball came off me, when I know i did not touch it. How far am I allowed to argue this? The Ref clearly made a wrong call, even the opposition was surprised, but being the gentlemen they are, they didn't tell the ref he was wrong. I ended up standing there with a stupid look on my face because I was nowhere near the ball...

By the way, no one in the game got a yellow for asking if it was indirect or direct. That was a completely seperate incident. It just took the ref some time to respond to our question. The first yellow was for blowing up about what the player thought was an unfair challenge on him.

fair enough Tim, ignore my previous dribble...

Bear

dibo said:
Laws of the game

In LAW 3 THE NUMBER OF PLAYERS, under the heading 'Players':

A match is played by two teams, each consisting of not more than eleven players, one of whom is the goalkeeper. A match may not start if either team consists of fewer than seven players.
(FIFA LoTG p.15)

So teams must have a goalkeeper.

rules have changed then, mind you the footage iv got is not heaps heaps old. its comical tho lol

dibo

Bearinator said:
dibo said:
Laws of the game

In LAW 3 THE NUMBER OF PLAYERS, under the heading 'Players':

A match is played by two teams, each consisting of not more than eleven players, one of whom is the goalkeeper. A match may not start if either team consists of fewer than seven players.
(FIFA LoTG p.15)

rules have changed then, mind you the footage iv got is not heaps heaps old. its comical tho lol

There's probably something worth noting here.

While it's obligatory to nominate a goalkeeper and have that player clearly distinguished from other players and the match officials, it's not obligatory for them to stand in between the posts, in the goal area, penalty area or any other place, provided they're on the field of play.

The keeper can play anywhere they like, they just can't use their hands anywhere outside their own penalty area.

hasbeen

dibo said:
Bearinator said:
dibo said:
Laws of the game

In LAW 3 – THE NUMBER OF PLAYERS, under the heading 'Players':

(FIFA LoTG p.15)

There's probably something worth noting here.

While it's obligatory to nominate a goalkeeper and have that player clearly distinguished from other players and the match officials, it's not obligatory for them to stand in between the posts, in the goal area, penalty area or any other place, provided they're on the field of play.

The keeper can play anywhere they like, they just can't use their hands anywhere outside their own penalty area.

I must be missing something here .. we've had a keeper like that for years.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Gopher of Pern said:
I'm sure every player is worried about refereeing, as the ref always goes the other way! :p

On a different note, in our game last weekend, the referee awarded a corner, saying the ball came off me, when I know i did not touch it. How far am I allowed to argue this? The Ref clearly made a wrong call, even the opposition was surprised, but being the gentlemen they are, they didn't tell the ref he was wrong. I ended up standing there with a stupid look on my face because I was nowhere near the ball...

The short answer to 'how far am I allowed to argue' is 'not at all'.  By all means, put your hand up and try to claim the GK, but once the referee's givenhis decision, shut up and play the game.  Do you REALLY think the ref is going to change a GK to a corner because the defende says it hasn't come off him?  We get it all the time.  Sometime I think the defender genuinely doesn't realise he's touched it - or sometimes the ref will get it wrong, very very easy to do.  It can easily go the other way next time.

If, on the other hand, the attacker puts his hand up and says 'no, I did get a touch on it ref', I'll normally say 'thank you for your honesty, we'll have a GK instead' - Most refs are happy to change their decision when it's the team that loses out admits a touch.  Although even then, sometimes I'll have to say 'I appreciate your honesty, but I still believe the opponent touched it after you, even if you don't, we'll stick with the corner.'

Had one of those at an U/11 Futsal gala day a few weeks back, both myself and the other ref thought it was a GK, the keeper admitted touching it.  We awarded a CK on that, and the other team scored.  Poor keeper, but great sportsmanship and maturity from him.

Ted said:
dibo said:
Ted said:
Even though the Captain is meant to converse with the ref, reaching for your cards when asked a question is lame IMO.

Bit harsh if that is how it is.

the captain has no special right to speak to the referee. the referee's decision is final and any dissent by word or action can be punished.

not saying dissent is never 'unjustified' in the real world, just that they're the laws of the game.

I agree mate, but a ref should 'know the rules' and the be able to tell difference between awarding a indirect or a direct free kick and when and why each should be given. Giving yellow cards to players questioning him about his decision when he has has no clue and being paid for it is simply wrong.

So this means a ref can show a card when ever he pleases without any reason and no one can question why?

By all accounts a player got a yellow for dissent, then he made a challenge the ref deemed as studs up even thoguh the other team denied it as being dangerous or studs up and sent him off with a 2nd yellow in as many minutes?

As has been said, the captain has no more right to talk to the ref than any other player (it isn't rugby league, after all) - but most referees will be happy to briefly explain a decision if it's been asked respectfully (ie not shouted, or the player hasn't run up to the referee).

As for the studs up challenge - well, surely you can't think that the opposing team thinking the tackle isn't dangerous is relevant :p After all, the referee (in theory, at least) knows the laws better than the rest of the players, and their interpretations and reasoning.

If he's gone out there and made blatant errors, then the best thing you can do is get your club to write to the ref's association.  Without being informed about it, there's nothing the ref's association can do - which means he's still going to make the same mistakes next time he refs you.  Upon receiving a report of blatant errors (that sounds legit, and not just sour grapes), the RA will try and get that referee inspected ASAP so any mistakes can be rectified, to everybody's benefit.  That's my advice whenever somebody encounters a ref that seems to be making blatant errors in law/interpretation - the RA has no interest in holding grudges agaist a team who raises the issue of a ref needing education.
But there's a difference between pointing out errors in law/interpretation, and complaining about a difference in opinion.  The latter is by far the most common type of report, and usually winds up in the bin, but when the RA has heard about refs doing the wrong thing they usally try to address it one way or another.

If player quietly and respectfully asks about a decision, I'll explain it - if I have time, and if I'm not being argued en masse.  If the player is raising his voice, or has run up to me, has a sarcastic/smartarse tone or has just been a nuisance all game I probaby won't, and it may be enough to give him a caution.

If your player carried on at the ref after the game then you should be considering yourself lucky he only got one week (although CCF have shown repeatedly that they really don't care about this sort of thing, spineless idiots they are).  If the player got a yellow for blowing up about a tackle then it sounds like he deserved the caution - and as for the 2nd, well it's a difference of opinion, and maybe the ref was wrong or maybe he was right.  I won't bother getting into what sort of challenges should result in a caution, I'm sure I've bored everybody enough already.

Anyway, what's with other people stepping in with law clarifications and ref's perspectives and advice on dealing with referees?  You mob are stealing my thunder here ;)

dibo

Well, we don't do a licence, it's a certificate (well a few... I only have Certificates 5 and 4.).

I'm pretty sure 'certificated' is a past tense of a verb 'to certificate'. Though perhaps 'certified' is more appropriate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred