• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 5 - Perth v CCM

Antlion

Looking forward then.

With 2 weeks between games this is the chance for tactics, double sessions and some serious analysis.

I'd like to see Mulvey mix it up and give some more players a shot. As much as we need some consistency I would prefer to see lethargic players dropped and fighting for their spots, and a trial of some different formations.

We'll almost certainly lose if we simply play the same team and formation anyway - now is the time to test out something new. I'd rather go down fighting and learning than repeating the same nonsense over and over.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

So mulvey has just realised there's a cultural attitude problem.
What can he do with that in 2 weeks ? I'm glad we have a break... How is he going to make players and staff accountable ?

Tevor

Let’s hope the break interrupts Glory’s mojo. My only expectation is defeat in this away game, Glory too fast and organised with multiple threats. I’ve watched their games and they are the deal this year with good players still to come. They have beaten both MV and AU who both toweled us up with ease.

At least Gameiro and Aspro might be ready for the bench at this game.

Last edited:

Michael

With the international break I really hope there isn’t any days off. Perhaps not double sessions every day but everything needs to be ramped up. I’ve regularly heard stories of British teams in slumps, when they do their 5 v 5s and 11 v 11s. The players draw a line in the sand and get proper aggressive and stuck into it. Building character and sharpening the touches. And showing the coaching staff who wants to win more than the others.

I’d love for Mulvey to have an 11 v 11 90min match, 7days before the next match, regulars v reserves and sort the men from the boys so to speak.

Something has to change ASAP, we need a real 90minute performance put together. Quality and effort.

Right back is a massive issue now. Teams have already figured us out. Rowles has been excellent defensively till a point when he’s just being targeted. And he clearly isn’t an option getting forward. Tom H can play there. Is it almost time to sacrifice his midfield excellence and plug the RB hole?

Golec needs to be dropped. Cisse probably had his worst of his 4 games thus far but he didn’t pass the ball, under no pressure, to one of the best players to ever play in the aleague on the edge of the box when we were looking half decent. Criminal.

I’d probably give McGing another crack at RB before the emergency use of Tom H there. And Tommy Oar was a lot better and looked like he was more confident although he didn’t really affect the game, he ran at players more and that’s a start.

Kennedy

Mcging
Cisse
Rowles
Clisby

O’Neil
Tom H
Pain
Wee Mac/Hoole
Oar

Ross

Bench: Pearce, Golec, Melling, Hoole/Murray, Simon

greenlig

I wonder why Arnie's two banks of players in defence isn't a thing for us? When we turned over in those days, everyone worked back real hard into that shape. It's not the most difficult thing to coach, and makes it painful for teams to get through. Are we trying to be all gegenpressing? There's no way in hell we are fit or technical enough for that. We've got good enough players to make it tough for other teams, but there seems to be a huge lack of discipline.

Ancient Mariner

With the international break I really hope there isn’t any days off. Perhaps not double sessions every day but everything needs to be ramped up. I’ve regularly heard stories of British teams in slumps, when they do their 5 v 5s and 11 v 11s. The players draw a line in the sand and get proper aggressive and stuck into it. Building character and sharpening the touches. And showing the coaching staff who wants to win more than the others.

I’d love for Mulvey to have an 11 v 11 90min match, 7days before the next match, regulars v reserves and sort the men from the boys so to speak.

Something has to change ASAP, we need a real 90minute performance put together. Quality and effort.

Right back is a massive issue now. Teams have already figured us out. Rowles has been excellent defensively till a point when he’s just being targeted. And he clearly isn’t an option getting forward. Tom H can play there. Is it almost time to sacrifice his midfield excellence and plug the RB hole?

Golec needs to be dropped. Cisse probably had his worst of his 4 games thus far but he didn’t pass the ball, under no pressure, to one of the best players to ever play in the aleague on the edge of the box when we were looking half decent. Criminal.

I’d probably give McGing another crack at RB before the emergency use of Tom H there. And Tommy Oar was a lot better and looked like he was more confident although he didn’t really affect the game, he ran at players more and that’s a start.

Kennedy

Mcging
Cisse
Rowles
Clisby

O’Neil
Tom H
Pain
Wee Mac/Hoole
Oar

Ross

Good looking line up with the current "fit" cattle. I think Wee Mac/Hoole, is the way to go at #10 rather than Oar.

I have been watching Wee Mac lately and cannot criticise too much as his commitment is 100%, just getting on a bit I suppose, but if he does not spend too much time trying to terrorise defences (not really his thing) when they are playing out from the back he may last longer and provide some attacking creativity. He is too old to play on the wing.I would like to see him playing in behind Ross and providing creativity and doubt in defences, with Hoole taking over at the 60 min mark. If he and Ross just sit on halfway in defence and not run uselessly at keepers, we may get to see what they do best.

Arnie's 442 compact defence is a must.

It is one thing to get in the opposition players' faces and show desire, it is another to play smart. To play a high aggressive defence you must have young and fit players up front

Ancient Mariner

Didnt WeeMac just fail badly as a 10?
Yeh he was not great but he tried to be Matty Simon early and burnt himself out.

I thought he played too much alongside Ross and wasted too much trying to shut down the defence and hence wasted far too much of himself. I think if he plays a bit deeper, links with the DMs, and saves his energy for creative stuff he may work out.

Probably just wishful thinking and clutching at straws.

In truth #9 and #10 will not function until the right hand side gets sorted.

Wombat

I think Simon would make a better 10 than WeeMac. He may get his shit together but at this stage he is not looking the goods.

scottmac

Suspended
There are rumours about Ferreira moving from Perth. He would be the right side player that would suit our team and start there over anyone we currently have. Adelaide apparently showing interest

Forum Phoenix

Kennedy

Mcging
Cisse
Rowles
Clisby

O’Neil
Tom H
Pain
Wee Mac/Hoole
Oar

Ross

Man that post is like you’re in my head.

My exact lineup and agree with every word.

Scotty

In my view, our prep for the Perth game has to be more intense on whatever we've been doing thus far, specifically our defence. I guess that's a Captain Obvious comment giving the leaks at the back in the last two matches.

We have been cracked open so often by the high press. We are simply too slow with the ball at our feet. Poppa will exploit that.

To be fair, the blame can't be aimed totally at our defenders. When they have the ball moving forward, there's no movement or options in the midfield. We then revert to Okon ball and hold the ball in our half until we eventually cough it up.

We are fortunate to have the break now, it couldn't have come at a better time to sort ourselves out.

Insertnamehere

In my view, our prep for the Perth game has to be more intense on whatever we've been doing thus far, specifically our defence. I guess that's a Captain Obvious comment giving the leaks at the back in the last two matches.

We have been cracked open so often by the high press. We are simply too slow with the ball at our feet. Poppa will exploit that.

To be fair, the blame can't be aimed totally at our defenders. When they have the ball moving forward, there's no movement or options in the midfield. We then revert to Okon ball and hold the ball in our half until we eventually cough it up.

We are fortunate to have the break now, it couldn't have come at a better time to sort ourselves out.
I'd like to see quicker transition forward, less long passes back to GK and CB, more passing triangles when we're being pressed like MVC did (which will be every week now) and more dynamic in midfield when attacking (pace and movement).
I think golec needs a spell after watching the goals against mvc. To me he seems way off confident on his busted leg.
And I think we get away from 2 holders in midfield.
Easy to say.....
It's also hard to say who to pick, not being able to see training.
I'd play a 433 in attack shifting to 541 in defence, essentially a 54 because Ross doesn't really defend now does he...
So my team this wk.
Bk
Tommy Cisse Rowles Clisby
O'Neill
Hoole. Oar/weemac/shabow (who's fit)
Murray Ross. Pain

scottmac

Suspended
We've moved very quick to writing off McCormack as lazy. Let's remember he has played 4 games since leaving last year and all for us. He would have scored last week too if Shabow wasn't in the way. He be far from match fit and with a team he's known for 2 months.

Reactions: adz

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami