• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 19 - Adelaide United [A]

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I think make muzz a "last 20min striker". As that sub he isn't really expected to achieve too much because that heavily depends on the disposition of the game, versus the pressure of carrying the front line for 90min.
It might allow him to get outside of his head a bit and have a go. Also lets him run at tired defenders.
And if he comes on if we're 2 nil down, nobody really expects a goal at that point. So a goal becomes a bonus, rather than an expectation (i know I'm understating the role of a sub)
Though i don't think it's just confidence, but hope I'm wrong.

Ads

Although nervous, they still moved the ball around better.
Lots of great sideward balls through the middle.
Nisbit, Kim and Mcguinley put in the hard yards.
Every player worked their arse off.

Problem is they shouldn’t need to work that hard if they had a bit more confidence in possession.

Harold did diagonal runs!!!!!!
Wow didn’t know they existed,

Even Murray was making runs behind the backline but just couldn’t finish.
Need to save some energy for when you need to make that important shot on goal.

lots of great possession moving ball just outside their box. Lots of positives but can they keep that intensity up after another loss.

Ads

*Keep same but bring Rowles into LB if fit.
*Maybe give Ruiz a chance in for Murray.
*Murray, Simon & Clisby backup

But then MC might not like the bigger $$ players sitting on bench or not being used (Duric)

I think Silvera might have an agreement to get minutes each game as apart of the deal or Mariners want to keep giving him the chance to show his skill on camera to promote him.

Ironbark

Michael mcglinchey’s professionalism and mental strength is something to be admired,he was dropped from the squad after scoring a brace early in the season and has been frozen out by the manager ever since,why? A lesser man would put his head down at the poor treatment he has received.Came in out of the cold and he was brilliant ,bossed the game and has proved himself once again
McGlinchey - as much as I have a soft spot for him - has been totally missing in all the games he started for us this season, barring maybe one.
Last night he returned to his earlier career form and (I'll put this in capitals for emphasis) MAY IT CONSISTENTLY REMAIN. He was excellent until AU worked out he was our fulcrum and pinned him down.

When they did they committed a man to him. Which left a hole and stretched their defenders who had to rotate to cover for it.
That was absolutely where we had to take advantage and attack that space, dragging defenders across and switching to keep them moving and stretched. It's like our players didn't recognise this though...or couldn't execute it.
Otherwise we were excellent, and as I have to say way too much, utterly toothless in front of goals. We deserved to win that game. Weemac deserves another start.

Ironbark

Although nervous, they still moved the ball around better.
Lots of great sideward balls through the middle.
Nisbit, Kim and Mcguinley put in the hard yards.
Every player worked their arse off.

Problem is they shouldn’t need to work that hard if they had a bit more confidence in possession.

Harold did diagonal runs!!!!!!
Wow didn’t know they existed,

Even Murray was making runs behind the backline but just couldn’t finish.
Need to save some energy for when you need to make that important shot on goal.

lots of great possession moving ball just outside their box. Lots of positives but can they keep that intensity up after another loss.
Yeah - I was happy with the Harold signing and getting happier by the game

Ancient Mariner

I do not think that MC gets that involved. I suspect that is Staj's call with possible suggestions from Anton.

I forgot to mention Duric in my summation.
Like last week he is really worrying me. Although he has a tonne of experience and ability. He is till looking too slow and too old . He has looked too slow since he first came here but initially he had the ability to score rockets from the edge of the box. That ability seems to have deserted him.
If he is carrying an injury, I admire his heart, but it is doing nothing for him, nor the Club, nor his future prospects and he should be getting it fixed.
He is playing as if he is too old as Anton suggested, which I find strange at a reported age of 29.
Whatever the reason, he is not fitting in at present.

Jay

Wee Mac returned to his normal self from the 46th minute so he can f**k off again to be totally honest.
Clisby was slightly better but the stupid needless piss weak errors are still there.
Murray needs at least 3 weeks in the stands and maybe on the bench after that. And I do not want him here any longer than this season. He’s not up to it. It’s plain and simple and it f**king killed us tonight. But all of our senior strikers can be thrown in that hat. It’s killed our season. Yeah the money hasn’t been spent for a top top striker but f**k me these blokes are at this level for a reason.
But anyway everyone else was genuinely excellent. Nizzy, Kim and Stens were HUGE. Ziggy brilliant, Miller too. Ruon was very solid. milan and jair had positive impacts. Birra had no chance on both goals and we have no chance in keeping him I
McGlinchey - as much as I have a soft spot for him - has been totally missing in all the games he started for us this season, barring maybe one.
Last night he returned to his earlier career form and (I'll put this in capitals for emphasis) MAY IT CONSISTENTLY REMAIN. He was excellent until AU worked out he was our fulcrum and pinned him down.

When they did they committed a man to him. Which left a hole and stretched their defenders who had to rotate to cover for it.
That was absolutely where we had to take advantage and attack that space, dragging defenders across and switching to keep them moving and stretched. It's like our players didn't recognise this though...or couldn't execute it.
Otherwise we were excellent, and as I have to say way too much, utterly toothless in front of goals. We deserved to win that game. Weemac deserves another start.
Totally agree the advantage wasn’t used with mcglinchey being man marked On a positive was good to see the team play with commitment in the first half. Don’t think mcglinchey has started a game this season before this one.

Wombat

I was pissed off last night but watched it again and it was a pretty good performance.

Next week Rowles to LB.
Jair for Murray.

Same starting 11 apart from those 2 changes. Kim as Capt.

3pts Kim
2pts Ziggy
1pt WeeMac

Michael

I was pissed off last night but watched it again and it was a pretty good performance.

Next week Rowles to LB.
Jair for Murray.

Same starting 11 apart from those 2 changes. Kim as Capt.

3pts Kim
2pts Ziggy
1pt WeeMac

Agree with everything except would’ve given nizzy 1 point
Wee Mac was genuinely very good first half, but as soon as he got given some attention I completely forgot he was on the pitch, went missing big time. A player of his experience should know how to deal with that.

Reactions: adz

Wombat

Agree with everything except would’ve given nizzy 1 point
Wee Mac was genuinely very good first half, but as soon as he got given some attention I completely forgot he was on the pitch, went missing big time. A player of his experience should know how to deal with that.

I felt Nizzy gave the ball away too much to get 1pt but he was good.

turbo

He’s doing a Troisi, turning up because it’s time to earn a contract

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
So the missus reckons I was a bit harsh on Muzz, but 5 goals in 35 games for a striker anywhere in the world is a shit stat by anyone's reckoning

turbo

Man I've got a shed full of Ozito tools that

There’s nothing wrong with cheap tools if you acknowledge what they are but it’s a big problem if you can’t afford high quality ones and expect the cheapies to perform as well or expect to use them all the time. And that’s exactly the issue with Muzz, through poor and under resourced recruiting we’re starting a cheap striker that should be a sub or injury cover who hasn’t been able to do what was asked of him and now his confidence seems shot. That or he’s so used to getting no service the fear of wasting it is paralysing him.

I’ve got no issues with him being in the squad but we’ve put a big burden on him and it’s not the result of factors we can’t control like really bad luck with injuries.

Tevor

First away game in Adelaide, will watch the replay when I get home but had a fantastic evening despite the result with plenty of laughs from Josho and the other lads. Also hats off to the bag piper who gave us something extra on the night. Wasn’t expecting such a good away bay and left me with some pride in the club despite not being able to win a game we dominated at times.

Recommend the AU away game to anyway if they are interested in an interstate game.

At the airport and plane is delayed, players are catching the same plane.

Insertnamehere

There’s nothing wrong with cheap tools if you acknowledge what they are but it’s a big problem if you can’t afford high quality ones and expect the cheapies to perform as well or expect to use them all the time. And that’s exactly the issue with Muzz, through poor and under resourced recruiting we’re starting a cheap striker that should be a sub or injury cover who hasn’t been able to do what was asked of him and now his confidence seems shot. That or he’s so used to getting no service the fear of wasting it is paralysing him.

I’ve got no issues with him being in the squad but we’ve put a big burden on him and it’s not the result of factors we can’t control like really bad luck with injuries.
Whoops didn't finish that thought before posting... But you've gone where I was going.

pjennings

So the missus reckons I was a bit harsh on Muzz, but 5 goals in 35 games for a striker anywhere in the world is a shit stat by anyone's reckoning

First of all - yes - 5 goals in 35 games for a striker anywhere in the world is a shit stat by anyone's reckoning.

Yes - you are a bit harsh on Muzz. Bear with me. When Adelaide attacked we didn't know who to shut down. Do you shut down Blackwood, McGree, Halloran, Ospeth or Mileusinic. When we attacked the Adelaide defence knew they just had to shut down Muzz or Harold - or at worst the two of them. Yes he was through on goal but his first touch was crap which let the chance go.

A simple let's swap this striker for that striker is not going to work unless the swapped in striker is many classes above what we have.

The squad needs investment. That way when a one of our strikers attacks the defence is worried about not only them but also who is with them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb