• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Socceroos thread.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
redmaynes a goofball of extreme proportions....how he got there over Birraz just shows how fixed on pick and stick fkn Arnie is

FFC Mariner

'Who are these blokes?': The other kinds of 'Aussie DNA' threaded throughout the Socceroos

Brilliantly written, last bit is a big f**k you to that newscorpse clown who coined asked "who are these blokes"

booney

'Who are these blokes?': The other kinds of 'Aussie DNA' threaded throughout the Socceroos

Brilliantly written, last bit is a big f**k you to that newscorpse clown who coined asked "who are these blokes"
Great article -pity that probably not many people would see it or read it

pjennings

The World Cup will have extended squads of 26 and up to 5 subs.

We have two matches against NZ coming up in September window. We have shown that we can defend reasonably but we will not go further than the Group stage unless we can find some goals. I'd like to use an extended squad of 30 in that 2 game series and try some other options.

My 30 man squad would be

GK (4)

Maty RYAN, Mitch LANGERAK, Danny VUKOVIC, Mark BIRIGHITTI)

Defenders (8)

Nathaniel ATKINSON, Fran KARACIC, Kye ROWLES, Trent SAINSBURY, Harry SOUTTAR, Bailey WRIGHT, Aziz BEHICH, Joel KING

Midfielders (8)

Denis GENREAU, Ajdin HRUSTIC, Jackson IRVINE, Riley McGREE, Aaron MOOY, Tom ROGIC, Massimo LUONGO, Cristian VOLPATO

Forwards(10)

Martin BOYLE, Mitch DUKE, Craig GOODWIN, Mathew LECKIE, Awer MABIL, Jason CUMMINGS, Alou KUOL, Garang KUOL, Marco TILIO, Nicholas D'AGOSTINO

JoyfulPenguin

We have two matches against NZ coming up in September window. We have shown that we can defend reasonably but we will not go further than the Group stage unless we can find some goals. I'd like to use an extended squad of 30 in that 2 game series and try some other options.

My 30 man squad would be

GK (4)

Defenders (8)

Nathaniel ATKINSON, Fran KARACIC, Kye ROWLES, Trent SAINSBURY, Harry SOUTTAR, Bailey WRIGHT, Aziz BEHICH, Joel KING

Midfielders (8)

Denis GENREAU, Ajdin HRUSTIC, Jackson IRVINE, Riley McGREE, Aaron MOOY, Tom ROGIC, Massimo LUONGO, Cristian VOLPATO

Forwards(10)

Martin BOYLE, Mitch DUKE, Craig GOODWIN, Mathew LECKIE, Awer MABIL, Jason CUMMINGS, Alou KUOL, Garang KUOL, Marco TILIO, Nicholas D'AGOSTINO
I don't think Duke should be anywhere near a Socceroos squad. He is playing for a middle table second division Japanese side. If you need a player in his mould take Yengi.

pjennings

I don't think Duke should be anywhere near a Socceroos squad. He is playing for a middle table second division Japanese side. If you need a player in his mould take Yengi.
I know what you are saying - but we need a balance. Players like Duke and Leckie pressure the defence well but do not score. Taggart can bring in others but still not score freely and Maclaren is who you need when you are playing Nepal. That is why I had no Maclaren. We need the defensive attackers (think Matty or Nkololo) to force turnovers but we have no one clinical at the international level.

Boyle is the only one that looks dangerous at the moment.

I really want to see what Jason CUMMINGS, Alou KUOL, Garang KUOL, Marco TILIO, Nicholas D'AGOSTINO can do and make a real case for the World Cup squad. But if none of them show something against NZ where will the goals come from in Qatar.

I'm also keen to see what Luongo could add.

JoyfulPenguin

I know what you are saying - but we need a balance. Players like Duke and Leckie pressure the defence well but do not score. Taggart can bring in others but still not score freely and Maclaren is who you need when you are playing Nepal. That is why I had no Maclaren. We need the defensive attackers (think Matty or Nkololo) to force turnovers but we have no one clinical at the international level.

I really want to see what Jason CUMMINGS, Alou KUOL, Garang KUOL, Marco TILIO, Nicholas D'AGOSTINO can do and make a real case for the World Cup squad. But if none of them show something against NZ where will the goals come from in Qatar.

Luongo on his day is a great player. Was the X-Factor in our Asian Cup triumph but seems to be struggling the past few years.

Mooy is our best midfielder when he is playing in a decent league, China just seems to destroy players. Until he moves on from Shanghai I don't think he should be in the squad.

If Mooy won't move then Genreau should be starting at the World Cup. He was a key player in winning promotion to the French top flight and deserves playing time.

If we don't start players who are regularly playing then we will get eviscerated by France, Denmark and Tunisia.

Big Al

My 30 man squad would be

GK (4)

Defenders (8)

Midfielders (8)

Forwards(10)

Stenns?

pjennings

Thought about it and would still consider him for Qatar given he can play CB and DM. But I want to see what Massimo LUONGO Denis GENREAU, Riley McGREE can do and Cristian VOLPATO is still not locked in for Italy. Maybe leave Irvine out as we know what he can and can't do.

Big Al

Thought about it and would still consider him for Qatar given he can play CB and DM. But I want to see what Massimo LUONGO Denis GENREAU, Riley McGREE can do and Cristian VOLPATO is still not locked in for Italy. Maybe leave Irvine out as we know what he can and can't do.
Luongo is past his best. We have to drop some of the old guard of Duke Irvine Rogic Mooy but don’t see any of them being dropped till after the cup.
Don’t know anything about Volpato but if he chose Italy then bringing him in just for the cup doesn’t sit well with me

I thought Stens was pretty good when given a shot and will be needed against France and Denmark

Rising Sun

Agree with most of what you are saying but one of my concerns is that I thought we should have gone looking for a higher standard of opposition for these games. Things that work against NZ are not necessarily going to work against France or Denmark - it's not really a valid test.

With regard to Langerak, is he an option? It is a concern if Maty gets injured that we are currently left with Danny who is 38 and been sat on the pine for a year, or Redmayne who isn't really an option at all.

I think Australia is just a back up plan for Volpato and and there is no chance of getting him until he is convinced he is not going to make it into the Italian team. I would give his midfield spot in your team to Brimmer, a midfielder who can score goals, see if he can step up to international level (though as per my opening point, playing well against NZ doesn't necessarily qualify as stepping up to international level). Definitely think McGree and Genreau need to get some serious minutes in these games.

AuzDutchy

Surely we'll see a few more friendlies announced for the run into the cup, hopefully there are a few camps as well, Arnie needs as many games and as much time to look over everyone as possible

pjennings

Surely we'll see a few more friendlies announced for the run into the cup, hopefully there are a few camps as well, Arnie needs as many games and as much time to look over everyone as possible
Players have to be release by 14/11 - first game of the finals is 21/11. No other windows except September when we have a home and away against NZ. So yes we may have friendlies in the week before the first game but that is too late for selection.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami