• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Referees must get tough on shirt holders as well as divers

nearlyyellow

I think this would be a good idea. I link to articles quite often that may interest other fans. This one this morning for instance by Michael Lynch:
Referees must get tough on shirt holders as well as divers
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...olders-as-well-as-divers-20150221-13ky4t.html

It's an interesting article, relevant to football in Australia and the world, but I couldn't decide where to post it. I didn't want to start a thread in any of the forums so what do you think about a "Presser" forum?

adz

Staff member
I just chucked it into Australian Football. Not sure about having a separate one for news clippings, a lot of articles get chucked in the middle of threads so that could confuse things a bit.
But happy to go with the flow.

Big Al

They should but won't. As soon as refs get tough people whinge about consistency and they are ruining the game and that's a defending type skill bull.

There could be 3 or 4 penalties every game if they did. The argument being once you punish routinely they should stop. Which they might for a couple of weeks then refs stop calling it and they start it up again.

The game is a lot cleaner for the better in the last 10 years but is some times seen as soft

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Hmm, I personally have my own thoughts on a lot of the issues with referees. The fact that our referees blatantly refuse to send off players for Denying an Obvious Goalscoring Opportunity for one - the number of times this has occurred is beyond a joke.

I don't know that shirtpulling is a particularly big problem in this league though, and referees seem to act appropriately on that. Dangerous tackles seem to be a bigger problem.

A few other things that bug me in the game that are accepted that I don't think should be, but oh well.

The problem with diving is you need to be 100% it's a dive to book the player. As a referee sometimes you feel lik it's a dive, but you're not overly certain, so you just tell them to get up. I hate it when a referee has clearly seen a dive though and refuses to take action. Quite often though a player will go down awkwardly, and players always scream for a dive - just because he went down an awkward or unusual way doesn't mean it was a dive.

I remember once sending off a player, second yellow for a dive. Referee commented to the player that it was harsh.

Well.....no. It was a dive.

But the problem with football is that referees, particularly at the high levels, won't award a penalty unless the player goes down like he's been hit by a truck. So players that do the right thing and stay on their feet are punished.

Really, if the attempted trip (or whatever) disrupts the player in a fashion that has an outcome on play, that should be a foul. Disrupt their footing for a few moments which allows a defender to tackle, that should be a foul. But we know that's not how it's refereed.

So players dive becase we, in a way, make them. When a player in the penalty area has his legs knocked but stays on his feet, I always think 'why?' - because even if he loses control, he'll never get the penalty without going down.

When I say 'we', it's easy to say the referees create this situation (because they do), but they referee in a manner that's more or less expected by players and fans (if they didn't, they certainly wouldn't put up with as much dissent!).

I guess holding is another of those fouls where it always affects play 'a bit', but it's kind of an accepted part of the game. Players always use their arms in tackles - why would they if it didn't affect play? And strictly speaking that should be a foul, but it isn't. Just accepted part of the game.

Like how strikers stiff-arm defenders all the time - have you ever seen that penalised?

But on community standards, remember the dive in the Iran - Iraq game, going down at the confrontation with the keeper? So many people reckon it shouldn't be a card because he was already on a card, etc etc (ridiculous reason).

But anyway, the only way to stop diving is suspension via post-match review. But players know that's unlikely, as they'll have to get the benefit of the doubt, which is fair enough. I reckon make it tougher - if the dive leads to a goal and that team draws/wins or an opponent is sent off due to the dive, dock competition points gained from that game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred