• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Rd 6 v Adelaide (home)

turbo

You said;

“Okon was a decent striker...”

Posted without seeing TB’s post or wouldn’t have mentioned it.

I said “Okon was a decent striker away from having a reasonably competitive team.” To phrase it’s differently if Okon had a decent striker he would have had a reasonably competitive team. If a few people have misinterpreted it then maybe I wasn’t as clear as I thought I was.

adz

Staff member
I said “Okon was a decent striker away from having a reasonably competitive team.” To phrase it’s differently if Okon had a decent striker he would have had a reasonably competitive team. If a few people have misinterpreted it then maybe I wasn’t as clear as I thought I was.

It's strange, I thought it was clear and the partial sentence changes the context completely. Maybe that's all people read and then started raging?

Forum Phoenix

Ah sorry!! Ahaha. My bad. Got it,

adz

Staff member

giphy.gif

Wombat

Rumour is he was shown a picture of the female anatomy that we all like in a pysch test and he immediately yelled out Jolic.....and that is how he got his brilliant assistant. Not sure if its true or not.

Ozhammer

Okon’s biggest failing arguably wasn’t his tactical inflexibility on the pitch but the culture he allowed to prevail off of it.

There are those of us who know what went on and it can never be allowed to happen again.

That’s why Some of us will never remember his tenure fondly.

shipwreck

Okon’s biggest failing arguably wasn’t his tactical inflexibility on the pitch but the culture he allowed to prevail off of it.

There are those of us who know what went on and it can never be allowed to happen again.
That’s why Some of us will never remember his tenure fondly.
Can you provide details, or PM me? I'm genuinely interested.

Josho Howe

Can you provide details, or PM me? I'm genuinely interested.

I could be wrong, but l believe oz is referring to a few of the players back then enjoying adult beverages. Of course, l am in that category, but i'm not a professional footballer. Gotta make some sacrifices and going less hard on the sauce = better fitness = better performance. Now, all this is speculation and just what l remember hearing about back then.

FFC Mariner

I think one of our issues since Arnie (and before Staj) is we may have had coaches who seemed happy to allow behaviour and lifestyles that dont lead to good outcomes for professional sportspeople.
They would probably argue that they were allowing people to be adults but having been in my early 20's myself once I can promise you I needed someones boot up my arse to stop me partying too much. I also didnt have disposable cash and heaps of free time in a beach area. Potentially fatal
Our collapses in the last 15 minutes of games last season showed how unfit we were and if you are going out and then its harder to train properly, thats what happens

Western Nonentities would have rolled over us in the last 15 minutes last season and I think thats why we were all getting so stressed (I know I was).
Tommy Oar, Milan, Ziggy and to be fair Matty Simon lead by example in terms of work rate and effort and you have to train well to do that. I cant recall a harder working performance that GG's last Saturday and you have to be super fit to put in the shift that he did.
Staj seems to expect professionalism and thats why we will nick the odd game here and there simply because we are fitter

Ozhammer

I could be wrong, but l believe oz is referring to a few of the players back then enjoying adult beverages. Of course, l am in that category, but i'm not a professional footballer. Gotta make some sacrifices and going less hard on the sauce = better fitness = better performance. Now, all this is speculation and just what l remember hearing about back then.
Josho pretty much nails it in his response, although there were some other off the field issues over and above the drinking culture that was permitted to exist. It got so bad at one point that senior management had to call a meeting of all staff to reiterate what the club’s culture was supposed to be.

For any professional coach to allow that to happen under his watch is unforgivable from where I sit. Also, the less said about his coaching sidekick the better as far as I am concerned, as he was certainly a sub-optimal human being imho. Balder was probably the only one who deserves any respect from that period, especially given that Oklic were seemingly intent on going out of their way to prevent him from doing his job properly.

FFC Mariner

I think speculation, gossip and rumour isnt very helpful
I'm guessing the effort and energy on display against WU indicates no one is getting hammered or worse pre game and thats ok by me

Kit Walker

Josho pretty much nails it in his response, although there were some other off the field issues over and above the drinking culture that was permitted to exist. It got so bad at one point that senior management had to call a meeting of all staff to reiterate what the club’s culture was supposed to be.

For any professional coach to allow that to happen under his watch is unforgivable from where I sit. Also, the less said about his coaching sidekick the better as far as I am concerned, as he was certainly a sub-optimal human being imho. Balder was probably the only one who deserves any respect from that period, especially given that Oklic were seemingly intent on going out of their way to prevent him from doing his job properly.

Tell us more.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami