• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Rd 6 v Adelaide (home)

finally retired

as I mentioned on here earlier, matty has taught him how to go hard and press defenders. To a fault. He almost looks like he’s forgotten his attacking instincts. His brilliant city effort is a glimpse of how deadly he can be. Hopefully Jair’s technical ability can be of great insight to muzz. As well as his off the ball movements. I genuinely want muzz to be a success for us. He’s such a good bloke but such a rough gemstone right now.
I am also adamant that we need a striker coach.
that will probably be Simon once he finishes playing :popcorn:

pjennings

TBH I think a lot of our attacking problems come from not playing together much. While there have been some good combos there have been countless times where people pass to where they think another player should be or they have to hold the ball when the other player doesn't make the run. That will come with time playing together and a better understanding.

In the meantime adding more firepower is not a bad thing and if Jair can recapture his K League form we will be in for a treat.

Last edited:

Wombat

The was a poll today for the worst ever player to pull on a Leeds jersey.
Okon was selected as our worst EVER by two different people.
There was 129 responses.....that’s a pretty sad indictment of Australia Football that we thought he would make a good coach.
My personal selection Roque Junior....a Brazilian numpty.
Thomas Brolin, the fat Swede was the winner.....absolute trash by the time Leeds got him.

marinermick

The was a poll today for the worst ever player to pull on a Leeds jersey.
Okon was selected as our worst EVER by two different people.
There was 129 responses.....that’s a pretty sad indictment of Australia Football that we thought he would make a good coach.
My personal selection Roque Junior....a Brazilian numpty.
Thomas Brolin, the fat Swede was the winner.....absolute trash by the time Leeds got him.

Okon was an outstanding player. Technically one of the most gifted we ever had. His time in Leeds doesn’t equate to his successful career as a footballer. At that stage of his career he was plagued by constant knee injuries.

And we all know that a successful football career doesn’t necessarily make you a successful coach and vice versa.

Last edited:

turbo

Okon was a decent striker away from having a reasonably competitive team. Lots of people here are happy to shit on him and I believe there was some drama before my time here but there’s no need to rubbish his coaching even if it was inflexible.

FFC Mariner

Okon was a decent striker away from having a reasonably competitive team. Lots of people here are happy to shit on him and I believe there was some drama before my time here but there’s no need to rubbish his coaching even if it was inflexible.
To be fair. If Ass Dribble wasn't a dud we go ok and his coaching works.

turbo

We haven’t been a big scoring team for a while but the finishing was diabolical that season. Like missing open goals regularly levels of shit.

Wombat

I’m happy to shit on him and Moss and Mulvey.

FFC Mariner

I’m happy to shit on him and Moss and Mulvey.
Mulvey was the appointment that f**ked us over the most. Lazy and incompetent - a terrible combination. Reports are he had given up in pre season.
Will take at least 2 seasons to undo what he did

true believer

He was a sweeper

Michael

been saying that for donkeys years and not just at the mariners .
not having a shooting coach has made australia's obsession with okon ball .
even worse

it’s common practice at any level in Europe, why not here? We’re not too good for it. It’d change the game here. A quick YouTube search of the England nation teams training sessions you’ll see their Scottish striker coach (was a dud player btw, but has insane technique) is brilliant. He’s taken plenty of strikers throughout the English pyramid to the next level before the english fa hired him.
Then look closer to home, Lee Jones of Joner 1 on 1. Phenomenal coach, incredible striker drills. He’s also trialled with us a couple times. Would take muzz to the next level and our youth strikers too. I have no doubt about it. Then even closer, Tim Knight has quite an impressive reputation since no longer working with the club. Olly Bozanic and James Holland ALWAYS train with him when they come home.
A striker and individual defensive coach is just as crucial as a GK and fitness coach imo. Just because you’re a professional outfit doesn’t mean you can’t keep learning new things. Sometimes it just feels like they go through the motions during the week. I’d love to know who of our players stays back after training working on anything specific.
I remember seeing Manny Peters and Charles William last season at soccer 5s at 9pm on a Tuesday working hard on technical aspects, was hugely impressed.

Forum Phoenix

Okon was a DM / old school sweeper. One of our better technical players to be sure.

But as a coach he was prideful, harsh and completely inflexible (both here and junior NT level) Hard to tell if he cared at all for the club...or was just an out and out careerist. Maybe not, but there's surely a reason no ones given him a shot since us I think.

marinermick

Mulvey was the appointment that f**ked us over the most. Lazy and incompetent - a terrible combination. Reports are he had given up in pre season.
Will take at least 2 seasons to undo what he did

And the only coach over the last six seasons to operate with close to a full salary cap.

turbo

Okon was a DM / old school sweeper. One of our better technical players to be sure.

But as a coach he was prideful, harsh and completely inflexible (both here and junior NT level) Hard to tell if he cared at all for the club...or was just an out and out careerist. Maybe not, but there's surely a reason no ones given him a shot since us I think.

Im confused why you and TB are telling me where he played. I never mentioned his playing position and I don’t think my first sentence was read properly.

I did mention he was inflexible and that’s possibly a fault of being relatively inexperienced or just who he is but his system itself wasn’t bad. It had us conceding a low amount of goals for a good chunk of the season and we did create enough decent chances to be a lot further up the ladder but the finishing was dire. It was also not very entertaining football which is a bad combo when you aren’t winning.

I wouldn’t be surprised see him do well at a team with more resources if he can get his foot in the door.

Ironbark

Okon had a system that was effective with the right players. But both he and his system were one dimensional.
Total inflexibility as a coach is a massive weakness.

shipwreck

The only good thing Okon brought was the fact that the old sockah boys club who dominate the commentary got off our backs for a few months. Otherwise it was a pretty boring and uneventful time to be a mariners fan.

Mulvey was worse and shockingly it took us a lot longer to realise it, probably because he was charming at first and had the skills of a crooked salesman, where as Okon was about as smooth and subtle as a box of hammers, bless him.

Forum Phoenix

Middy brought this up before okon was coach .
About postion based football .that it never produces strikers .

Mmmm, I don't think it's that. Plenty of teams and systems that that simply doesn't hold true of.

I think it's systems themselves. Stakj mentioned and I've been around elite level coaches for may years,
Im confused why you and TB are telling me where he played. I never mentioned his playing position and I don’t think my first sentence was read properly.

I did mention he was inflexible and that’s possibly a fault of being relatively inexperienced or just who he is but his system itself wasn’t bad. It had us conceding a low amount of goals for a good chunk of the season and we did create enough decent chances to be a lot further up the ladder but the finishing was dire. It was also not very entertaining football which is a bad combo when you aren’t winning.

I wouldn’t be surprised see him do well at a team with more resources if he can get his foot in the door.

Lol now I’m confused you’re confused.

You said;

“Okon was a decent striker...”

Posted without seeing TB’s post or wouldn’t have mentioned it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami