• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Rd 10 South Gosford FC V Central Coast Mariners

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
When did Muzz get a concussion ?.....did Matty clobber him at training or something :vhappy:

midfielder

https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/gameday-squad-staj-names-his-team-mariners-return-action

Squad |

1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk), 2.Ian Zygmunt GORDON, 3.Jack CLISBY, 4. Eunsun KIM, 6.Giancarlo GALLIFUOCO, 7. Milan ÐURIĆ, 8. Mikey MCGLINCHEY, 10.Thomas OAR, 11. Daniel DESILVA, 12.Adam PEARCE (gk), 15. Kye ROWLES, 16. Dylan FOX, 17.Samuel SILVERA, 18. Gianni STENSNESS, 19. Matthew SIMON, 21. Ruon TONGYIK, 26.Joshua NISBET, 27. Lewis MILLER, 29. Jair BRITTO, 30. Dylan RUIZ-DIAZ **2-4 to be omitted**

Given the break & Jair has been in training and Kim is coming into fitness... this is arguably our strongest squad ...

Mids, GG, Kim, DDS, Milan, Oar, Silvera, Steness, Nisbet, weeMac... thats 9 with aside from weeMac all capable of being in the run on side.

Backs... Ziggy, Fox, Rowles, MIller.... Clisbey,

midfielder

My run on side...

----------------Birighitti-------------------
Miller ------ Ziggy --- GG------ Rowles
------------------Kim-------------------
SS------DDS--------Duric--------Oar
-----------------Jair------------------

Reactions: Ads

Big Al

Anyone want to make a stab on what they guess the starting eleven will be? Not what they think the starting eleven should be but what they think Staj will do.
Some form of a back 5. GG dropping into the back where necessary.
Syd like to go wide and cut back or ALF off the shoulders.

If we can cut supply there we have a chance.

With no striker again

Brirra
Millar Ziggy Rowles Clisby
GG dropping into the backs regularly
Kim GS
Milan
Oar DDS

Sam and Jair off the bench for a late run at them

Ideally one of GG and GS is on the bench but I think we go clog the middle and back

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I've never had a crack at this before...here goes

EDIT: First off - I don't think all-out defence is the way to go. If you plan on defending for 90 - or even the first 70 minutes, your defence needs to be errorless. Ours isn't, so we need to control it in the mids and play with a buffer. If we focus too heavily on the backs, they'll still get enough of an attack to make 2 of them count, at least. IMO when we've played with a heavy defensive focus, it doesn't work well.

Bira
Miller Ziggy Rowles Fox
Stens ---------------Duric
SS DDS Oar
Jair

subs
Kim, Nisbet, GG, Pearce, Ruiz, Simon, Mcglinchley

We need as much Jair time as possible. We have to score early and hold it, then score again in the 2nd half. When our team gels, we have one of the best midfields in the league.
We're a much, much better side when SS and DDS are on together.
We need to keep controlling that midfield - even if Jair comes off, we still have 4 players on the field who MIGHT score, though if we lose Jair and one of SS/DDS/Oar/Duric then our attack becomes a bit more problematic - though that's going to push us more defensive anyway. but with Kim And Nisbet to replenish midfield stocks, we shouldn't tire there. GG can sub in at the backs if needed.
Alternative sub is to bring on Diaz, pair him with Jair, but perhaps have him drop in behind a little if needed. We need to go all out attack if we're down. Eg

Bira
Miller Ziggy Rowles Fox
-------Duric------Oar
DDS--------------------SS
------------------Ruiz
-------Jair
Simon could come on in the last 20 if we're up, but he has to run his legs off. He'll be running at tired defenders - but he also needs to be dropping back to help out in the mids and backs. He'll be supporting a striker at that point. eg

Bira
Miller Ziggy Rowles Fox
GG----------------------Duric
-----Nisbet Oar------------
Simon----------------- SS
------------Jair

that was fun!!!

Last edited:

marinermick

Some form of a back 5. GG dropping into the back where necessary.
Syd like to go wide and cut back or ALF off the shoulders.

If we can cut supply there we have a chance.

With no striker again

Brirra
Millar Ziggy Rowles Clisby
GG dropping into the backs regularly
Kim GS
Milan
Oar DDS

Sam and Jair off the bench for a late run at them

Ideally one of GG and GS is on the bench but I think we go clog the middle and back

I suspect we will go strikerless as well. I am sure Jair would have got time in the NYL last but it was postponed. I think Jair needs a couple of games off the bench and NYL on Tuesday night to get up to speed, especially coming off an injury.

turbo

First off - I don't think all-out defence is the way to go. If you plan on defending for 90 - or even the first 70 minutes, your defence needs to be errorless. Ours isn't, so we need to control it in the mids and play with a buffer

Agreed, we have seen how much pressure we put ourselves under if we try to go full defence. Perth & WU showed how dangerous it was even when we don’t get punished and Sydney probably will punish us. Even without an error sooner or later someone will hit a rocket or we’ll see a soft foul or handball. My hope is that we’re working on how to play conservative when we need to be but not stuck in our back 3rd of the pitch. Maintain some possession in an attacking position and let them feel some pressure. Doesn’t mean you can’t counter attack but know when to move fast and when to be methodical.

marinermick

Sydney FC have 2-1 for one adult deals for the hill. $30 for a ticket and you get one free. Compare that to adult away section which is $27.

Most of us stand/sit behind the away section anyway so this is a good deal. Instead of buying a family ticket for $67 and smuggling one adult in on a child ticket I just bought the two-for-one deal.

Big Al

Agreed, we have seen how much pressure we put ourselves under if we try to go full defence. Perth & WU showed how dangerous it was even when we don’t get punished and Sydney probably will punish us. Even without an error sooner or later someone will hit a rocket or we’ll see a soft foul or handball. My hope is that we’re working on how to play conservative when we need to be but not stuck in our back 3rd of the pitch. Maintain some possession in an attacking position and let them feel some pressure. Doesn’t mean you can’t counter attack but know when to move fast and when to be methodical.
I think the Roar template was what Staj would like to do but injuries etc have ruined the plans.

WU game we held tight in the first half and then let the game open up in the second

Roar plan I think was to stay tight and basically not loose the game by halftime away from home and then have a crack. Just conceded those two goals at the wrong time

So I agree we can’t go defensive for the whole game but at least the first 45 and maybe 60 70 a way from home to the ruthless champs

turbo

I never ended up seeing the roar game and quite frankly I don’t think we should have approached them with a defensive mindset, if we do that against lower opponents we’re psyching ourselves out to begin with.

I’ve got no issues with the smothering game we started with playing WU it was when we took a step back they were able to keep coming at us. Did it even worse in Perth. We can’t afford to go up and chicken out, when you’re doing something right you keep going. Maybe dial back a bit but not try to dig in.

ashman89

I don’t understand why away active bay is $27 for an adult when you can buy a child ticket in the GA next to away bay for $13?

turbo

Pack the away bay!! Make plenty of noise for the lads. A fair few of us are catching the train there. Get involved tomorrow, chant the boys home.

CC16.

Someone on reddit was posting about track work. I’m not sure if it affects part of the trip closer to the ground but best to check it out.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb