• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R4 v Perth away

Ancient Mariner

I will attempt a player summary for Wombat. I am doing this after the one viewing.

Keeper
Birra: All I will say is that at long last we have a quality keeper who every fan should be satisfied with. 'Nuff said.

Full Backs
Ziggy: A good professional defensive full back. I am happy with the way he is playing but suspect he will improve as he settles in. Had a good game but copped a very soft yellow.

Clisby: Good attacking play but did some silly things. He was very lucky to dodge a 2nd yellow which would have led to a finish like the first two games. About time we copped a break. However he is committed and reasonably competent and fills a difficult to fill position reasonably competently. If that makes sense.

Centre Halves
Fox and Rowles are working well together. Rowles has good anticipation and pace and has extendable legs that can cut out dangerous crosses but can be a bit slow off the mark and tends to grab which can lead to nasty free kicks and cards. Overall the defence is getting more solid. I am not sure who it is but someone is doing some excellent organising. It is most probably due to the midfield and even the attackers getting back and covering and taking a lot of pressure off the back 4. The thing I did like was that there was no panic even when we were under the pump. When possible the ball was quickly passed to someone in a better position.

DMs
Both Stesness and Gallifuoco had great games taking pressure off the back 4 and providing excellent links forward.

AM
Duric is a pro and a clear and present danger to any opposition. I loved him in the first half. I thought he was quiet in the second but I would like to watch the replay as I suspect I missed a lot of his good work live.

ATTACKERS
DDS, Oar and Silverra in the first half tore Perth a new one. Absolutely awesome. Some of the prettiest attacking football I have seen from CCM for ages. Sometimes it was three up front, sometimes two and sometimes one. The understandings are starting to happen and will only get better. Although there were times when it was obvious if we had a true finisher we would have been three up at half time I do not know how we would fit him in. Silverra fitted in wonderfully all over the front.

SUBS
Staj got the subs right. DDS was gassed. Bringing Kim on did not allow him to play his natural game but it strengthened the defence. I would prefer to see Kim starting as his organisational ability can then be of greater benefit.
Fantastic that we can bring on a quality centre half late in the game.
And at last CCM have finally worked out how best to use Matty even though Arnie did it for two years at SFC. He can now be a "very useful engine".

What impressed me most overall was that we at last are playing fast one touch football with good triangles and good support. Runs are starting to get rewarded and players are getting back and getting organised in defence with lots of talk and very little panic. Mistakes were still made but the team is still improving.

On the tv Slater was going into raptures over Silverra, I am glad we have him signed fro 3 years. But I was thinking "Robbie wait until you watch Josh Nisbett fit into this team".

There is a long climb still ahead but with Staj I can see blue skies ahead.

I love the all yellow outfit.

scottmac

Suspended
How about the calmness under the press! Playing the ball between keeper full backs and centre backs while under a full field press then finding a loose man more often than not against Perth was just f**king awesome! Seemed like a plan to me. Draw them out of a set defence then pass through them.

Forum Phoenix

Not a great individual impact but he came on when it was all hands to the pumps in defence. As I said above I would rather see him start.

Yeah I did. He’s solid, reads the play very well and only really lost out to Chianese once due to speed. But he doesn’t look as up to full speed himself yet so I’m sure he will improve. But I tell you what, Stensness is more than earning his keep (very impressed by him tbh) and GG is going from strength to strength and was excellent tonight - so he will have to force his way into the starting 11. Just like Silvera has.

Forum Phoenix

How about the calmness under the press! Playing the ball between keeper full backs and centre backs while under a full field press then finding a loose man more often than not against Perth was just f**king awesome! Seemed like a plan to me. Draw them out of a set defence then pass through them.

Yeah how good was it. And not like Okon ball. Moving it so much quicker, lots of one touch balls, seeing what’s around them and not just passing by default or only playing to the closest man. Then having Milan hitting those beautiful switch of play balls to willing and able runners was just magic.

Forum Phoenix

What a find Milan Duric is. Absolute machine. In my opinion, he's the best player we've had in our colours in a long long time.

This is abundantly clear. I was cheering even his general play. Always clever and just the right thing. Sublime is really not too strong a word. What a find. Looked among the best players in the whole league, and better than Castro tonight.

Hitting him up for a Serbian striker mate would be my highest priority if I was in charge of recruiting,

true believer

What a genius is Staj. Caught Poppa hopping with wee Sammy up front. Brilliant.
the free kick plays and corners are incredible .we should have been up 4 -1 at half time .
he doesn't play any fixed system . his guys all buy into his philosophy .
give this guy a striker and he'll give us silver ware

Last edited:

turbo

Just got done watching the recording, what a ride that was. Birraz the MOTM for me, absolutely kept us in it on a few occasions and it’s so nice not to see any 50-50 go in. But hard to fault anyone else although I am glad Clisby didn’t cop a red the rest of his work was good.

On the subs I thought we might have seen Muzz in for Oar or Silvera who were both slowing down in the final third of the game and really pushing for the extra goal. We kind of gave up on attacking there and Matty only confirmed it although we finally got to employ his defensive striker qualities and he did what we needed him to,

Fox gave us a decent wrap and was nice to hear them talking about the good things we’re doing not Perth having a shit game.

LFCMariners

What's stood out to me not just today, but in the previous two matches, has been how much better the defence looks this season. I'd be surprised if somebody puts a 2+ goal score on us with all 11 players on the pitch. Stajic is clearly out to prove a point, and he's got the side looking like those well-drilled outfits that defined Arnie's time in charge.

Onward and upward. I maintain (looking back now) that rock bottom was the evening Perth won 3-0 on NYE and half the crowd left at h/t to go watch the fireworks instead...and if CCM can reverse that result and draw a decent crowd this December 31st, then maybe we can say those dark days are exorcised?

true believer

gee with the short turn around , friday against shitty is a monster . our guys were really gassed after
"the miracle of perth" if the lads pull anything from this game .
staj will have walked on water and i'll be asking for fishing spots .

marinermick

Was definitely a tactic worked on in training. Stajcic wanted our team to work the front third as much as possible. He felt they were lazy in defence and the extra work would tire them out, making them less effective in attack.

He also felt there was space behind their full backs as they like to get forward, hence the quick transition to Oar which found us plenty of room. Franjic was especially vulnerable to this.

Michael

I’m confident the lads will pull up fine with a full recovery day today, let’s not forget Staj cut his teeth in international tournaments getting his players ready in tiny turnarounds. We’ll be ready to go friday.
The boys fitness levels are out of sight too. DDS and Tommy would’ve done more running in 45 than some other attackers do in 180. Especially DDS, he’s honestly looking at Socceroos footy if he keeps this energy and form going.
And we got DDS off early, tommy said it was purely cramp and seemed fine afterwards, same with Kye. Hopefully there’s a Cryo place in Perth! The lads love the one on the coast.

The $ity game will be quality, they’re finally using their own young lads but I reckon we’ve got more quality and will win. I’d only bring Kim in for GG or Stens.

Wombat

I’d bring Kim in for Stens. I thought GG was excellent and Stens gave the ball away a couple of times but a great player to have as cover.

Wombat

I will attempt a player summary for Wombat. I am doing this after the one viewing.

Keeper
Birra: All I will say is that at long last we have a quality keeper who every fan should be satisfied with. 'Nuff said.

Full Backs
Ziggy: A good professional defensive full back. I am happy with the way he is playing but suspect he will improve as he settles in. Had a good game but copped a very soft yellow.

Clisby: Good attacking play but did some silly things. He was very lucky to dodge a 2nd yellow which would have led to a finish like the first two games. About time we copped a break. However he is committed and reasonably competent and fills a difficult to fill position reasonably competently. If that makes sense.

Centre Halves
Fox and Rowles are working well together. Rowles has good anticipation and pace and has extendable legs that can cut out dangerous crosses but can be a bit slow off the mark and tends to grab which can lead to nasty free kicks and cards. Overall the defence is getting more solid. I am not sure who it is but someone is doing some excellent organising. It is most probably due to the midfield and even the attackers getting back and covering and taking a lot of pressure off the back 4. The thing I did like was that there was no panic even when we were under the pump. When possible the ball was quickly passed to someone in a better position.

DMs
Both Stesness and Gallifuoco had great games taking pressure off the back 4 and providing excellent links forward.

AM
Duric is a pro and a clear and present danger to any opposition. I loved him in the first half. I thought he was quiet in the second but I would like to watch the replay as I suspect I missed a lot of his good work live.

ATTACKERS
DDS, Oar and Silverra in the first half tore Perth a new one. Absolutely awesome. Some of the prettiest attacking football I have seen from CCM for ages. Sometimes it was three up front, sometimes two and sometimes one. The understandings are starting to happen and will only get better. Although there were times when it was obvious if we had a true finisher we would have been three up at half time I do not know how we would fit him in. Silverra fitted in wonderfully all over the front.

SUBS
Staj got the subs right. DDS was gassed. Bringing Kim on did not allow him to play his natural game but it strengthened the defence. I would prefer to see Kim starting as his organisational ability can then be of greater benefit.
Fantastic that we can bring on a quality centre half late in the game.
And at last CCM have finally worked out how best to use Matty even though Arnie did it for two years at SFC. He can now be a "very useful engine".

What impressed me most overall was that we at last are playing fast one touch football with good triangles and good support. Runs are starting to get rewarded and players are getting back and getting organised in defence with lots of talk and very little panic. Mistakes were still made but the team is still improving.

On the tv Slater was going into raptures over Silverra, I am glad we have him signed fro 3 years. But I was thinking "Robbie wait until you watch Josh Nisbett fit into this team".

There is a long climb still ahead but with Staj I can see blue skies ahead.

I love the all yellow outfit.

Thanks Ancient good review.
I saw from 20 min mark in the star bar in George St.....they had Women’s cricket on when we walked in but were kind enough to switch it over for us.

Great performance. We should have scored more. The defence was epic but still a bit shonky on their goal and a couple of occasions.
Midfield is purring.
Silvera can play anywhere in the front third.
Staj is a legend.
Matty Simon was perfect and showed exactly how we should be using him.

Ancient Mariner

Thanks Ancient good review.
I saw from 20 min mark in the star bar in George St.....they had Women’s cricket on when we walked in but were kind enough to switch it over for us.

Great performance. We should have scored more. The defence was epic but still a bit shonky on their goal and a couple of occasions.
Midfield is purring.
Silvera can play anywhere in the front third.
Staj is a legend.
Matty Simon was perfect and showed exactly how we should be using him.
A shame you missed 20mins of great football. Hope you can catch the replay. I thought Oar was immense early.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max Clark