• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Pluim Park Upgrade

darrensprod

All on the forum,

CCF having been working to gain the support of both the Government and Opposition parties seeking funds to upgrade Pluim Park and to make it (as much as possible) weather proof so we can play a lot more games there and transfer club games to avoid washouts etc. Today Tony Abbott visited Pluim Park and I have attached a Media release advising an elected Coalition government would provide $3million to upgrade Pluim Park.

Regards
Darren Sprod
Chairman

Attachments

• 10-08-15 Joint Press Release with Mr John McNamara and Mr Darren Jameson.pdf
    52.9 KB · Views: 28

kevrenor

All on the forum,

CCF having been working to gain the support of both the Government and Opposition parties seeking funds to upgrade Pluim Park and to make it (as much as possible) weather proof so we can play a lot more games there and transfer club games to avoid washouts etc. Today Tony Abbott visited Pluim Park and I have attached a Media release advising an elected Coalition government would provide $3million to upgrade Pluim Park.

Regards
Darren Sprod
Chairman

For that much $ you should be able to put synthetic turf on No.1 (like Seymour Shaw, Cromer, and Hensley Field). I don't see that in the press release!?

offtheball

Bit concerned about the use of the term "increase the number of sports and games available to the community" Abbott trying to gather votes from football followers as well as other sorting groups, promising them use of a newly developed Pluim? Or am I reading it wrong.

We have a grossly inadequate number of fields for our playing numbers as it is, without promising other codes use of Pluim.

masmariner

Bit concerned about the use of the term "increase the number of sports and games available to the community" Abbott trying to gather votes from football followers as well as other sorting groups, promising them use of a newly developed Pluim? Or am I reading it wrong.

We have a grossly inadequate number of fields for our playing numbers as it is, without promising other codes use of Pluim.

Ahh yes read the fine print part of the acceptance of the funds will mean that Pluim Park will allow access to other codes I guess primarily during the summer months, interesting to see if this all works out for the benefit of the football family.

marinermick

Ahh yes read the fine print part of the acceptance of the funds will mean that Pluim Park will allow access to other codes I guess primarily during the summer months, interesting to see if this all works out for the benefit of the football family.

no reason, if the grounds are up to standard, that it shouldn't be available to other sports during the summer months

would provide an extra income stream to central coast football

kevrenor

Synthetic pitch ... a must at Pluim .. plus fog dispersers! lol

Hensley Field’s $2.2 million dollar upgrade is new place for Football
20.08.10 10:28

Photos by Gavin Leung

Hensley Field’s new multimillion dollar synthetic field upgrade has been dubbed as the “new place for football in Sydney” by Mayor Ron Hoenig during the official unveiling on Saturday 14th August in Eastgardens.
The facility, which aims to play a role in the 2022 World Cup bid, was funded by the Government's $800 million Community Infrastructure Program and will be the new home ground for Super League outfit, Sydney University.

In what was a perfect day under blue skies, hundreds of kids mixed with parents, coaches, photographers and community officials flocked to the “Jewel of the Crown” to watch the unveiling and the first official match on the new field between Sydney University and Central Coast Lightning (Under 13).

With upgrades to the outside athletic track, jump pits, amenities, drainage, electrical and grandstand, the 10 month project certainly lived up to its expectation.

“This facility is the focal point for Sydney sport,” boasted Mayor Hoenig.

“Millions of dollars have been poured into this facility and when I look around, I still marvel at what has been done.

“This is a very important day for sport in Sydney,” added Hoenig.

Utilizing recycled rubber which would have otherwise ended up in landfills, the state of the art synthetic field provides footballers with a true bounce and an environment players can be excited playing on.

“This is without a doubt the best facility in the Super League,” said Under 13 head coach, George Makridopoulos.

“The players love it because it gives a true bounce while allowing them to play two-touch football without any grass burns.

“It’s also a massive drawcard for Sydney University since we can expect to see many more players coming to trial with us due to this facility,” he added.

The day saw numerous small sided games where players were clearly satisfied with the way the surface held up. Sydney University’s U/15 left midfielder, Nick Hyde, shared his thoughts about the pitch after having trained on it previously.

“The field is very comfortable to play on since it is not hard and makes it easy to play football.

“All the players from our team love it and are very eager to play on it again,” he added.

Since it was founded in 1968, Hensley Field has seen insignificant upgrades until now and with the community crying out for change, modifications couldn’t have come at a better time. Federal Minister for Transport and Local Government, the Hon. Anthony Albanese was recognized for the funding that allowed Council the opportunity to provide this outstanding facility.

Proud parent, Bill Hyde and Under 15 head coach, Theo Fotopoulos, believe its facilities such as Hensley Field which create excitement for young footballers.

“The players were very excited about playing today,” they said.

“At training, they simply went crazy and were training their hearts out. This is an amazing facility and one which allows for good quality football,” they added.

-By Caetano Lima

dibo

In that case, Labor's committing $10 mill for the CCM COE. More than three times the commitment to central coast football.

Just saying...

blackburnforever

Could other members of this forum(including darrensprod) explain to me in their beliefs, how you think a $3M upgrade to Pluim Park is going to benefit the average football player on the Central Coast? By this, I mean a family that has juniors playing in lower grades, or an all age or over 35's player(like myself).

I believe the main beneficiaries to a Pluim Park upgrade would be our Lightning rep teams and A grade teams making up washed out games. To me, whatever happens over summer at Pluim is fairly irrelevant. The groups mentioned, although they represent the elite end of our local football players, are still a minority group when compared to the thousands of juniors, lower grade all age and over 35's players and their families.

Instead of spending $3M on one facility that probably only a minority will use, why can't the politicians be lobbied to spend $ on much needed improved facilities all around the coast to aid in the benefit of the majority of the local football community.

This year in particular has shown the lack of facilities available for local football; with numerous washouts that are not replayed. As example, I have a son playing lower grade juniors who will end up with a maximum of 10 official games this year. A friend, playing 35's with a maximum of 12 games. Both these players are considering not playing next season; other sports and activities offer more facilities and possibly better value for $ spent. I am led to believe the main reason for not replaying wash outs this year is because of the lack of facilities.

Forum Phoenix

Good post BBF. If Mr Sprodd you mean Pluim wash out replays being for the thousands of other players who are not in our elite division but also pay their fees, then that would be equitable and worthwhile.
Though yes Pluim obviously needs the work.

But hmmm 10 mill or 3...

It's just smart economics Mr Abbott surely?

I'm with comrade Dibo.

hasbeen

A $10m bribe for the CCM CoE is three times the bribe promised for the Pluim upgrade yet will be even far more elite in its use.

Both offers are blatent pork-barrelling and will not sway this little duck.

We need money to go to the Councils so they can at least do some maintenance on the local grounds. The reason the Councils close the grounds so readily is that they do not have the money to repair these grounds between winter and summer sports.

darrensprod

All,

If funded we would be looking to establish 4 all weather fields (and we are investigating synthetic options) at the Pluim Park complex that will allow local games to be moved and replayed at the facility so we can minimise the number of games lost. This will be for local comp games not the lightning/rep teams only.

Hasbeen is quiet correct that the council struggle with their facilities because of their budgets and we at CCF are currently undertaking a seperate program where we look at funding assistance for council grounds however that is a little more challenging as we do not own the facilities but we are working with council on this.

As I have said numerous times the current washout situation is not acceptable and we are working on a different model for next season but we do need to work within the constraints put on us by council. If we can make Pluim Park (a ground CCF owns) able to handle games on 4 fields 5 nights/days a week rather than the current 8 games per field a week then this will help eliviate the problem with council grounds.

Regards
Darren Sprod

concerned

All,

If funded we would be looking to establish 4 all weather fields (and we are investigating synthetic options) at the Pluim Park complex that will allow local games to be moved and replayed at the facility so we can minimise the number of games lost. This will be for local comp games not the lightning/rep teams only.

Hasbeen is quiet correct that the council struggle with their facilities because of their budgets and we at CCF are currently undertaking a seperate program where we look at funding assistance for council grounds however that is a little more challenging as we do not own the facilities but we are working with council on this.

As I have said numerous times the current washout situation is not acceptable and we are working on a different model for next season but we do need to work within the constraints put on us by council. If we can make Pluim Park (a ground CCF owns) able to handle games on 4 fields 5 nights/days a week rather than the current 8 games per field a week then this will help eliviate the problem with council grounds.

Regards
Darren Sprod

Darren,
You still do not state if such make ups will only be for the elite "A" grades or for all grades down to "G'.
Also you again reiterate what we all know and that is your washout system was a complete washout in itself this year. Bring back the old school from 2009. You severely criticised them before the last AGM but despite an equally wet season and the same impositions by Council they got almost all games played. From what I have been told they only lost 280 games, from 3,500+ affected by rain, over all grades and all games played acrtually counted. That was despite them not having the extra grounds you had this year which now have night game lights. This year when my stepson's team won their only game of the season they then had it declared a washout because one of the 5 games played each week in their competition got washed out. That did not happen last year. Kids need encouragement. If they want football to continue to grow the CCF cannot afford to be to cemented in their own beliefs.Please do not blame the clubs for the vote they took at the beginning of the season. I spoke to my Club delegate. It was a catch 22 for them. They were apparently only given 2 options, both of which were hopelessly biased against getting many games played. They were not given the option of "night before" changes as happened last year but got games played in all grades. Maybe it would be good to look at old ways. Maybe they are the best afterall. Experience counts. they had it whereas your crew do not. Eat a bit of humble pie and sek their guidance.

Bex

In that case, Labor's committing $10 mill for the CCM COE. More than three times the commitment to central coast football.

Just saying...

Already spotted that...I'm voting labour.

Tuggerah FC will be playing on the new fields. There's going to be seven of them all international standard plus 8 futsal courts.

The National Youth League team will play all home games there.

There will a sports science centre based there cooperating with Uni of Newcastle.

Hopefully, we'll get the World Cup and it will be a training base for a really cool team.

Refurbished club facilities with function room capacity 400 people. Imagine the new club during away games - a dedicated football club where there's no doubt whether the football will be live on the main screen - a real home base for the fans with a real football culture.

120 room accomodation for visiting football teams. A potential training base for international teams during off season that could strengthen our Sheffield United network links and cement our place as a desirable club for overseas talent to ply their trade and get noticed by European clubs.

The club, accommodation, gymnasium, playing fields and indoor pool facilities will setup an income stream for the Mariners as well as providing all the facitilites they need themselves. This represents priceless stability for the club.

This $10 million will help Central Coast football and the Central Coast. If this comes off, we will have a footballing identity like never before and like no other club in Australia. This is perhaps a one-off chance to have a government fund this for us. I'm gonna grab it with both hands...

Forum Phoenix

Good post Bex.
Surely I can eat some pork out of a barrell if I want to??
;)

Darren, I sincerely like the idea of any upgrades for football on the coast to be honest. But I do share Concerns concerns (Bloody hell) regarding the wash out policy and its application to all skill levels. We need a fair and equitable policy. I very much hope you achieve it for next year. Everyone pays fees. And as such is surely worthy of the efforts and support of their association. Also as I'm sure your aware, once ANY round is declared a washout without replay - the competition table has become irrevocably flawed. Thats just an inarguable fact. Lower level teams have had to suffer less games, flawed inaccurate tables, and for some the loss of premierships and finals berths as a result.

This of course leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

"Concerned"
Flawed competition standings due to washouts was also a considerable issue last year even though there were "some" replays for all levels of teams. And despite this years elitist washout disaster policy with no replay for lower level teams. 2009 was not a year of football management to be receiving high accolades for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred