• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

NRL alliance?

What is your opinion of the NRL?

• Love it, have a team I follow hard-core.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll watch it a fair bit

• I don't really care about the NRL

• Hate the NRL- wish it would die in the arse tomorrow.

• Total voters

midfielder

BJ

You have posed a very interesting question.

My input is this Football is in a growth phase and the NRL is a mature product with not much scope to expand, worsen given the tribal nature of its 16 clubs. The AFL is trying to expand but like the NRL its revenue is at a mature stage and expansion is the only way to increase it.

Football move to Asia the success of the A-League has spooked both the AFL & NRL, the world cup bid support from the Prime Minster has worried the ASL no end.  Each have taken different track to counter football, AFL all out attack.

The NRL however appear whether forced or it just happened are in a relationship with football. Look at the sharing of grounds and expenses, Storm & Victory, Mariners & Various NRL matches, Knights  & Jets, Titians & Galaxy, Cowboys & NT, not to mention Roar may move in with the Broncos.

By sharing of cost for medical staff, ground maintenance, etc the overall cost of both should fall. Also many of the fans support both codes and the NRL appear to want to work with football for the mutual benefit of both.

In closing given many of the teams Mariners included have to share grounds and work with the NRL you pose a very interesting question which only time will tell. But as to my feelings towards the NRL the following best sums up my position, as much as I hate the Scum I hope they do better the Knights.

Bex

I'm another Eels fan 'cos I grew up at North Rocks - a couple of suburbs away from Parramatta. Been following them since the late 70's, but only on TV.

The last two seasons of A-League have really conjured something special. I only caught the tail end of season 1, went to about half the home games in season 2 (and kept going towards the end of the season when we had basically given up and were playing shite) and went to every home game in season 3 as well as a game at Scumcastle, both semis and the GF.

The funny thing was, I knew last weekend was the first NRL round but didn't even check when the Eels were playing. On Saturday morning, I learnt I had missed the game and that it was the second biggest comeback in history - and I honestly didn't care.

I'll probably watch some NRL during the season, but I think times have changed and its time to go with a new home team - the mighty Mariners!

I'm even starting to get interested in the ACL and all the world cup qualifiers and hopefully that will tide me over to the A-League pre-season. I can also hardly wait to see the junior league and follow the young guys coming up into A-League.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
As I might have mentioned before I have had a spot in my heart for the eels since the early 80's (the family were berrie fans, you know with the old support where you live theory at full roar and yes I had a soft spot for Les johns and the boys,but i was never a solid canterbury fan)...

I was there when cumberland got BBQ'ed (scurrilous rumours aside) I was at the three GF's and Brett kenny coulda married my sister...BUT....the "NRL is a mature product with not much scope to expand" quote kinda sums it up.. so to quote Mr Jack Gibson....."DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD" .......the NRL have no real international competiton, I mean shit, their "world cup " is a f'n farse...you just gotta have a drop of russian blood in ya to play for russia, WHEN DID RUSSIA PLAY RUGBY LEAGUE?

Aussie football in the next 5-10 years will send the NRL as a major competitor into the history books....

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :vhappy:

Blackadder

Brought up on Rugby League (as a Parramatta Supporter), an really didn't follow "Soccer" as it was then, Until the creation of Northern Spirit FC.
Really can't stand the my code is better than your code crapola, but whatever floats peoples' boats.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred