• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Now I've heard it all!!

Alicia

Newcastle now Jets town

NEWCASTLE Jets owner Con Constantine says that his team has conquered the rugby league heartland and is now just as popular as the Knights.

Just days before the Jets aim to shoot down Queensland for a place in the Grand Final at the Sydney Football Stadium on Sunday week, Constantine declared that it would be "an Origin battle'' and insisted star striker Joel Griffiths was Newcastle's latest sporting hero.

"For 20 years rugby league dominated this city - not any more,'' Constantine said yesterday as his team worked to cast off the memory of losing the major semifinal to the Central Coast on Sunday. The Jets were eliminated 3-2 on aggregate after falling 3-0 in the return in Gosford.

"When we started out three years ago I would have given the Jets a rating of 6/10. The Knights were 10/10. We've got just as much credibility now and we're all square. The people in this place just worshiped Andrew Johns. He was God. I loved the man myself. A great guy.

"But don't think for one minute that Joel Griffiths is not as big a personality as Andrew was. You go into pubs and clubs and everyone talks about Joel. Aside his looks, he's a coach's dream the way he plays the game. He gives it everything. He works his butt off and it was an absolute credit to him that he was the league's top scorer. He's a class above the others.''

With a place in the grand final at stake in Sunday's winner-take-all preliminary final, Constantine - who has poured millions into the club - said the buzz around the city now would be as nothing given victory over the Roar.

"This is not Sydney or the Central Coast we're playing - this is Queensland,'' he said. "This is like an Origin battle. And you know what NSW people think about Queenslanders. The fans will come out in their thousands to cheer our boys on and drive them home. This is just as big as when the Knights won their last grand final (against Parramatta in 2001).

"What some people may not be aware of is that we get over this hurdle and we're into Asian football. How good's that going to be for this city? It's also very special for the city in that soccer was played here over 100 years ago by Adamstown and to think we've come this far.

"We had a hiccup last Sunday (against the Mariners). It was one of those days. That's the round ball for you. I said when I took on the Jets that I believed it would take off. It was not easy at the beginning but this year we have gone to another level. As for the A-League, the sky's the limit.''

But Constantine's dream is to see the Jets and Knights unite.

"There's room for both to exist. One's played in winter and the other in summer. Let's have no more conflict,'' he said. "We have a very good relationship with the Knights now and I know we can do it (unite).''

A grand final spot is one thing and a re-match with Central Coast beckons. But victory over the Roar will also mean an automatic place in next year's Asian Champions League.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23202984-5006068,00.html

HoneySoy

I heard someone on TV say that the Sydney-Queensland game was like a state of origin match.  He's original, isn't he?

P

Pete

Maybe not yet, but certainly they have been increasing their supporters.

Newcastle and the Hunter Region has a great history of Football, and one they should be proud of.

kevrenor

Pete said:
Maybe not yet, but certainly they have been increasing their supporters.

Newcastle and the Hunter Region has a great history of Football, and one they should be proud of.
Indeed - great players and great clubs (shame about the current top one!)

Perhaps State of Origin is more appropriate than you think, but their mums and dads should have voted Yes in the 1967? referendum to create a new state in the north of NSW starting at Newcastle.

Chooky

You used to see kids everywhere wearing Knights shirts all year round, now they are wearing Jets gear. Its a smidge off being as popular as the NRL in this town. Good signs for the sport in this country. Knights and Jets need to sort out their differences and band together.

Tassiemariner

I think this upcoming NRL season will decide whether it's a football town. With the absence of Joey Jones, Newcastle have no new icon and some bandwaggoners may not turn up reducing crowd numbers. 

rosko

How can Con say "This is not Sydney or the Central Coast we're playing - this is Queensland,''? I place a much higher importance on the derby matches than Queensland or any other state.. He is just showing his throw back to the NRL! This isn't league, it's Football!!!!  :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot:

marinermick

thomas477 said:
Agree with you chooky - if the knights and jets combine then nothing will stand in our way BWAHAHAHAH :D

and you guys will always be second fiddle to the knights

these types of mergers have been tried before (collingwood, carlton, parramatta) and have been ultimagte failures

con should be very, very careful

Blackadder

"This is not Sydney or the Central Coast we're playing - this is Queensland,'' he said. "This is like an Origin battle. And you know what NSW people think about Queenslanders. The fans will come out in their thousands to cheer our boys on and drive them home. This is just as big as when the Knights won their last grand final (against Parramatta in 2001).

Yes Con, we hope that Qld runs right over you.  :thumbup:

Jesus

Jesus
Con will be owning a good part of the knights if a partnership ensues.

So I dont think he will be too worried

marinermick

Jesus said:
Con will be owning a good part of the knights if a partnership ensues.

So I dont think he will be too worried

the knights and rugby league community will never let that happen

they will never enter into an agreement unless they have control

midfielder

WTF do they need to unite for....share costs for sure...............but unite...............marinermick is right be very careful.

My Dad used to tell me that pre second world war, football was the main code in the mines and outer areas and league was played by the steel workers. He believed football was the bigger game in the hunter generally pre war so there is a huge history.

But F unite no way, just share costs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred