• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Nick Carle: Crystal Palace v Bristol City

pche0508

Crystal Palace v Bristol City - Carle Watch

It was a pulsating game as Nick Carle's Bristol City took a big step towards Wembley and the world's most financially rewarding football game. I have only watched a few Championship games in the last twelve months but this game provided a glowing presentation of the quality of football that the Championship can produce, despite the very high stakes on the line and the criticism that the Championship copes, including from myself. Generally, in world football now days, as the stakes get higher, the quality of football on display gets lower.

Although neither Crystal Palace nor Bristol City went gun-ho at each other, you certainly couldn't accuse either side of seating back as both teams were willing to commit numbers forward. This attacking mentality was present throughout the game, even towards the end when I was expecting Bristol City to seat back on the favourable result. Both teams, Bristol City in particular, were also willing to play the ball out of defence rather than simply punting the ball long. In fact, Bristol City was punished for not properly clearing their lines as a defensive mix-up lead to a Palace penalty and equaliser which Ben Watson emphatically put away. Long balls did occur, but they were the exception to the rule. Generally, the football was fluent with the ball being played along the ground rather than through the air. It was a thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable game to watch.

Carle Factor

In the middle of all the drama was Nick Carle who provided the assists for both of City's goals. The first involved a set-piece with Carle playing the ball across the box after receiving it from a well worked training ground move. Defender Louis Carey lashed his shot into the net and as the commentator said, it was a world-class finish which Inzaghi would have been proud of. The second assist from Carle involved him actually using his head. He headed the ball David Noble before the former Arsenal junior whipped an unstoppable shot into the top corner. It was a sensational finish of the highest quality. To give you an idea of how attacking both teams were, Noble's goal was scored in injury time when most teams would have been playing the ball into the corners or otherwise wasting time with the score being a very acceptable one all in the away leg.

As for Carle's general performance, he was playing in his preferred position of central midfield this game and he played the whole 90 minutes. Carle was playing in a deeper role than I'm use to seeing as he was more of a defensive midfielder than an attacking one. He got front on occasions to support the attack but his duties were generally more defensive. While in the A-League, Carle is remembered for the flashy aspects of his game, a different aspect of Nick Carle was on display today. It was a real work-man like performance from the former Jets man as he pressured the opposition and covered the zone in front of the back four. Pim Verbeek, attention here please.

Carle's passing was also slick and generally accurate. He rarely gave the ball away and he made a few incisive passes. However, because of his deeper position, he was playing more simple short passes rather than killer through balls. Given that he provided two goals (although the scorers have to be given much of the credit for the quality of the strikes) and the fact that he stayed disciplined to the defensive tasks he was given, it was a very impressive performance from the Australian and one which should put pressure on Culina in particular for a central midfield berth for the Socceroos.

The next leg is on Tuesday, cannot wait.

FFC Mariner

He went ok but not that great - Palace were shit

Sad that we have to watch scum in the off season to be honest with you.

Sean

Great layoff by Carle in that set play! and the winning goal was a stunner!

the match tonight was a rubbish standard of football though. Is it usually like that?

FFC Mariner

Yes, in fact there was a bit less mindless hoofing and neck high tackles than normal.

West Brom play good football but the normal standard is pretty poor

Sean

I think the a-league could be compared to c.c in terms of the quality of football played, but i feel cc is a faster game and the finishing leaves us for dead.

FFC Mariner

I think the HAL is at a similar skill/technique level to Championship.

Carney & the scum guy have adapted so probably top level HAL players would go ok

Such as Archie & Jedi. The fitness and commitment leaves the HAL for dead tho

serious14

Perm said:
Great layoff by Carle in that set play! and the winning goal was a stunner!

the match tonight was a rubbish standard of football though. Is it usually like that?

Depends what game you get - I remember watching Birmingham vs. Cardiff towards the end of the Championship last season, and I personally though that it was one of the best games of last season from anywhere.  The standard was really up there, the tackling was hard but fair, and the ref. barely had to blow his whistle all night.  F*ck all diving, a fantastic atmosphere and all that sort of gear.  Not to mention it was absolutely pissing down rain and the ground was a mudpile, which made it all the more amazing that the game was that good.

Then again, you get games like Stoke vs. Leicester from last week - I know there was so much at stake in that game but wow........ it was bad.  Really, really bad.

marinermick

i was impressed by carle

thought his workrate was brilliant and that aspect surprised the shit out of me

his desperation for that header that led to the second goal was also un-Carle like

serious14

Carle is a great player, and in the short time he's played for Australia he's done great things there as well.  I think the environment at Newcastle was hampering him more than anything (admittedly his hairstyles didn't help, but y'know).  Now that he's away from that shit heap of a "club", he's free to be himself and actually play.

brett

I was skeptical as to whether Carle would have enough time and space to play in the CCC but as the old cliche goes, the good players make their own time. Away from the assists there was one touch in the first half where it was a high ball coming down in the centre circle. Most CCC players would have just headed it forwards but NC played a sweet first time pass through defenders to space that his right back was moving into. Cue cross and a header just wide from the big black striker. It is that sort of 'extra %' type play that tilts the contest in your favour in the CCC and also the A-League because most of the time is just a physical contest.

I wish I could have seen more of Bristol's matches to get a better idea of how he has fit in there.

FFC Mariner

Princess was a key player for Melb and went to a Prem club (Fulham) and is yet to get a game - although he has made the bench a few times.

The club have got v high hopes for him (apparently) and probably didnt fancy chucking him into the relegation scrap.

He would easily get game time in the CCC so hopefully will go on loan there next season before coming back as a prospective 1st team player.

you would imagine that this is the preferred route for any good HAL player

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred