National Youth League Fixtures and Mariners youth team discussion

Discussion in 'Central Coast Mariners FC' started by Paolo, Aug 5, 2008.

1. joe bailey

joe bailey Member

Mariners starting to look like a retirment village with these ex AIS coaches. NYL not doing too well atm under one of them. See how the 20's and seniors go this season. Will be pissed if they don't do better than when Peter Preston and Will Vasquez were at the helm!

2. Insertnamehere

Insertnamehere Well-Known Member

A youth programs quality doesn't change overnight.... Seniors might be able to but kids don't.

3. joe bailey

joe bailey Member

mate 18s/20's/seniors I'm talking about did very well last season didn't see the need for change IMO

4. possum x

possum x Member

Screenshot_20181220-112549_Samsung Internet.jpg Does he have a point or is he a disgruntled parent ? Interested on people views on this, its obviously unrealistic to expect anywhere close to 100 % if we're to be competitive but is 6% enough. I'm sure from sap to 16s it would be 95% coast kids.

5. Insertnamehere

I think you gotta take the best you can find but always consider local boys as their friends and family are the supporter base of the club broadly

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Big Al

Big Al Well-Known Member

Considering we are looking for talent to play in the 1st team it’s got to be best players in the country.

However this is where the club gets caught between community and best interest of a professional club.

Especially as most of the juniors say till 16 are coasties in the system who are then pissed off when they aren’t picked for say the 18’s where we would be recruiting the best players

• Like Like x 1
  7. priorpeter

priorpeter Well-Known Member

It’s more than 6% in the current NYL squad - it’s closer to 20%. Out of the 16 signed, at least 3 played their junior football for clubs within CCFA (Glassock, Kyle Johnson, and Matt Hatch). Jordan Smylie played for Berowra, you could probably class him as a local.
    Munford was a Sydney United junior, Cheng was Northern Tigers/Manly, Miller was North Shore Mariners/Manly. Vinci is another from Manly.
    Faust & Katsoulis were Canberra boys, while Barnett came from SA. Hall was another one from interstate (Brisbane City/Western Pride. Jevtic has recently returned from Spain.
    Peters/M’mombwa had ties to Mounties, and Ruiz-Diaz has bounced between FNSW institute, WSW, and SFC.
    De Silva came from wherever his brother came from.

Of course it may be a different story for CCMA but we’ll just see when the squad is released hey

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Insertnamehere

It's also encumbent on the club to work with the local clubs in their junior programs to try and ensure the local kids coming through are as good as they can be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. FFC Mariner

FFC Mariner Well-Known Member

De Silva's are from WA originally

10. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Came from his Dad's dick, I meant his 'dick' of a Dad.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Kompiler

Kompiler New Member

The dismantling of the Mariner's SAP (<U12) next season is certainly not going to assist in retaining local talent in the long term. For those unaware, 'some' of the changes include:
    * Training has dropped from 3 times a week back to 1
    * The player pool has expanded from a handful of talented kids to 40 per age bracket
    * No more travelling to play other SAP teams, just play among themselves
    * Must also play for a local club

Lets just say that after seeing the summer program, it appears to be a quantity over quality approach now. It's unfortunate because a number of highly talented kids from last seasons SAP are now looking elsewhere (Jets SAP etc) because the competitive environment and overall skill levels have diminished so much...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  12. JoyfulPenguin

JoyfulPenguin Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

C'mon Boy's .... FTS !!

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Les is a great passionate bloke, does brilliant work filming the CCU games, but the NYL team he is referring to that was Patty Z’s year, was probably one of our worst seasons in NYL. From what I can remember. And I knew/played against and with many of those boys.
    We have to always aim to get the best youth nation wide and if there’s local boys good enough then it’s a bonus. There will be more and more high quality local youths in the years to come from our academy teams and may eventually lead to a 80% + local NYL team.

Our golden youth boys that then turned into our golden aleague boys were all from western Sydney and inter state.

• Like Like x 3
  15. JoyfulPenguin

16. JoyfulPenguin

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. joe bailey

joe bailey Member

anyone know the seriously, ridiculous wages these ex ais coaches are pulling in? Ray Junna is a power and pace guy not interested in technical players. Rumours quite a few nyl players (big names) looking to leave under him. Shame as we did so well under Preston and Vaszueq who were on less than a 10th plus of these guys wages!! https://www.smh.com.au/sport/canber...32-defeat-to-cooma-tigers-20140707-zsz4x.html

18. Antlion

Antlion Well-Known Member

Vazquez is an intelligent coach. He will do very well in time

19. possum x

possum x Member

Interesting but I don't think " big names" and NYL belong in the same sentence!!!!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. joe bailey

joe bailey Member

the big names of NYL I speak of are supposedly the future of CCM A League!