• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Maybe a new ground for Adelaide -

midfielder

Interesting article from the Adelaide Advertiser / Sunday mail

Dario has stadium plan

VAL MIGLIACCIO

April 24, 2008 12:30am

http://www.news.com.au/common/imaged...6003029,00.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23590424-5006373,00.html

Determined ... Adelaide United chairman Dario Fontanarosa with his model of a new inner city stadium. Picture: NEON MARTIN

ADELAIDE United chairman Dario Fontanarosa says building a new inner city stadium is not only about boosting Adelaide's chances of hosting proposed World Cup matches in 2018.

Fontanarosa's master plan to construct a purpose built all-seater undercover rectangular stadium is starting to take shape with overseas investors prepared to partly fund the project.

"I feel obligated as chairman of Adelaide United to deliver a worthwhile facility so people in this state don't continually miss out on the best soccer games available in the nation," Fontanarosa said.

Fontanarosa said Football Federation Australia chief executive Ben Buckley had in principle endorsed the master plan.

Fontanarosa said the proposed stadium should be built just for soccer and in five years.

"I don't want Adelaide United to play on a round oval or a running track around it," he said.

"It has to be a purpose-built soccer stadium. They're talking about billions (to build one) which is not true. A FIFA-approved world-class stadium is $10,500 a seat."

Fontanarosa's stadium project has been costed at $475 million for a 45,000 all-seater stadium.

He believes that the continual growth of the game will force Adelaide into moving to a bigger home - away from Hindmarsh Stadium.

"We're aiming at 25,000 to 30,000 crowds for Adelaide United matches," he said.

"Regardless of the World Cup we need a bigger stadium. The fact that we've got the World Cup (bid) now is just a bonus."

Fontanarosa said Adelaide's crowd pulling power when it staged a 25,039 sell-out clash at Adelaide Oval last year was no fluke.

"People love city stadiums," he said. "The ideal location I think is the Thebarton police barracks."

Fontanarosa revealed that United would always lose the rights to hosting A-League Grand Finals purely because of Hindmarsh Stadium.

A Department of Tourism report also revealed that the 2018 World Cup could bring billions of dollars in economic benefits to Australia.

The 2002 FIFA World Cup which was hosted in Japan and Korea generated a staggering $27 billion.

Atomic

I doubt that it will be a soccer only venue. Surely they'd have to make allowances to fit a rugby field in there are well. The only difference between the two fields is the in goal areas in rugby. It means that the end stands will have to be about another 5 meters back from where they otherwise would be. A very small compromise, but I'd rather have a stadium with the ends as close to the 'keeper as possible, ala Nou Camp

Omni

Not really Atomic, Ruby is nothing out there, it's AFL and Football so they could away with it and make Rugby deal with short in goal (like they do in England) if they want to use the stadium.

Atomic

Omni said:
Not really Atomic, Ruby is nothing out there, it's AFL and Football so they could away with it and make Rugby deal with short in goal (like they do in England) if they want to use the stadium.

I'm thinking of the Wallaby Test matches. The Adelaide gov't is crying out to host them as they have played to packed Adelaide Oval crowds in the past. I also saw a recent international rugby sevens tournament played there on Fox Sports. If the gov't are tossing in funds to build this stadium then they are going to want as many games as possible to be played there. One or two Wallaby games per year are guaranteed sell-out and I bet the ARU won't be playing there if the in-goal area is anything short of a decent size.

adz

Staff member
A bit optimistic building a new stadium in Adelaide to host grand finals ;)

dibo

Omni said:

they'd make it at least 130m long just in case anybody felt like playing a rugby match there (either code). world cup standard is 125m long anyway (allows 10m behind each goal line) - that's shorter than most of the 'traditional' grounds around the place like the nou camp or whatever.

Jesus

Jesus
He is a rich guy. If he thinks he can get it off the ground im sure he can.
Especially with the world cup bid, the state and federal govt will be more liekly to throw a few bucks at it.

Paolo

recycled article from a few months ago when they said it would happen.

Also...the article says an "allseater undercover" stadium when quite clearly the model is an open stadium with no undercover

Arabmariner

keensy said:
recycled article from a few months ago when they said it would happen.

Also...the article says an "allseater undercover" stadium when quite clearly the model is an open stadium with no undercover
I thought I,d read about this before.The photo I,m sure is from the same article months ago aswell.I wouldn,t be surprised if that article wasn,t almost a year old.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred