• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners v Victory

Pirate Pete

Agree with those saying Staj messed up the subs, Kuol needs to score 5 and assist 3 to start I think. Janota looked good but left him too late, then he brings Ollie off when you need some creativity!
Thought the ref was actually good too about time a goalie got booked for holding the ball too long

Good decision by the ref, but he didn't book Acton. He should have.
I did think he was going to clamp down on the time wasting though.
Having booked a player on just after the hour mark for time wasting I thought a couple more might have gone in the book, but it didn't stop them from more time wasting.

Drew

I think kuol has to start over Matty against Adelaide, he was brought on way too late last night and in recent games hasn’t looked as good, he needs another start to boost his confidence again, we need to improve massively in attack if we are gonna beat Adelaide and kuol’s energy from the start along with niz/dds etc would really help that I think, let’s hope we get the win!

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Sure ! I think Kouality should get a shot at starting BUT that pretty much means his gonna be surrounded for 70 mins instead of 20 ...it will be a test for him

Forum Phoenix

Agree on the subs. I’d guess why Staj hesitated was because we had the clear ascendancy at that point, But once we had their necks exposed it seemed obvious we should be going hard and fast for the kill. If you bring Kuol on at 79 minutes - it’s just not enough time -especially against a time wasting team. He’s going to get, what? 5-7 minutes of actual play?
Only other thoughT was he got scared of subbing Urena. But Matt and Urena are both old strikers. After an exhausted box to box midfielder, they should be the first to go and they should bloody well know they’re going to go.

Kuol has won us three games coming on at 60 minutes. Why you drop that formula in a game like this is beyond me. Double subs at 60 and a team working at one hundred and ten percent the whole game. Is now late and hesitant subs, and the team play at 70-80% for significant periods - a few players aside,

The sub he got right was Stens for Nisbet. Was that his injury flaring? Or just the yellow and how massively off the pace he was.

Imo we started that game like we were scared to lose. Yeah yeah always respect opponents..., but there are also times to show no respect until your opposition earns it and you just run right over the top of them.

Our timidity, lack of ambition and mongrel for the first 30 let them believe they could beat us, it was our worst thirty minutes all year, genuinely insipid football again. Thank god we moved past that though,

Nisbet gave us the control we were missing back and then they were scared of losing and started playing for a draw basically from half time.

Anyway most of it’s been said, I agree with Turbo. We need to change gears again or we’ll continue sliding - we’re obviously hugely improved and doing a lot right. Get the mongrel back, get the work rate back by giving our youth and subs a chance. Personally I’d be giving Hall a shot at RB Nigro had a much improved second half but he was awful that first 30. Clisby standing on the halfway line for their goal made me want to burn the world down - but he did a lot of great work otherwise. And Rowles and tongyik - one scary moment aside - were excellent yet again.

Last edited:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Good decision by the ref, but he didn't book Acton. He should have.
No, it's just an IFK. There's no card for that
On another night that would've been 3-1 CCM and the discussion here would be about the team's ability to get a win even with a slow start and Staj's questionable subs.

I'm confident of getting a result against Adelaide next week, so far this season CCM have a decent record of aiming up against good opposition.
Forgotten about MCY already?

AU are very much in form at the moment - we're so out of form and out of our heads that we can't even beat the bottom dwellers, at home, when they have players out.

Staj needs to find a miracle this week to prevent AU taking us to school. That's 2 games in a row where we haven't even turned up - if AU tear us to shreds, I'm worried they won't be able to recover mentally.

Wombat

No, it's just an IFK. There's no card for that

Forgotten about MCY already?

AU are very much in form at the moment - we're so out of form and out of our heads that we can't even beat the bottom dwellers, at home, when they have players out.

Staj needs to find a miracle this week to prevent AU taking us to school. That's 2 games in a row where we haven't even turned up - if AU tear us to shreds, I'm worried they won't be able to recover mentally.

No one is tearing us to shreds. Even City didn't destroy us. I think we can and will beat Adelaide.

marinermick

Agree on the subs. I’d guess why Staj hesitated was because we had the clear ascendancy at that point, But once we had their necks exposed it seemed obvious we should be going hard and fast for the kill. And if you bring Kuol at 79 minutes - it’s just not enough time especially against a time wasting team. He’s going to get 5-7 minutes of actual play.
Only other though was he got scared of subbing Urena. But Matt and Urena are both old strikers. After an exhausted box to box midfielder, they should be the first to go and they should bloody well know they’re going to go.

Kuol has won us three games coming on at 60 minutes. Why you drop that formula in a game like thus is beyond me. Double subs at 60 and a team working at one hundred and ten percent the whole game. Is now late and hesitant subs, and the team play at 70-80% for significant periods - a few players aside,

The sub he got right was Stens for Nisbet. Was that his injury flaring? Or just the yellow and how massively off the pace he was.

Imo we started that game like we were scared to lose. Yeah yeah always respect opponents..., but there also times to show no respect until your opposition earns it and you just run right over the top of them.

Our timidity, lack of ambition and mongrel for the first 30 let them believe they could beat us, it was our worst thirty minutes all year, genuinely insipid football again. Thank god we moved past that though,

Nisbet gave us the control we were missing back and then they were scared of losing and stared playing for a draw basically from half time.

Anyway most of it’s been said, I agree with Turbo. We need to change gears again or we’ll continue sliding - we’re obviously hugely improved and doing a lot right. Get the mongrel back, get the work rate back by give our youth and subs a chance. Personally I’d be giving Hall a shot at RB Nigro had a much improved second half but he was awful that first 30. Clisby standing on the halfway line for their goal made me want to burn the world down - but he did a lot of great work otherwise. And Rowles and tongyik - one scary moment aside - we’re excellent yet again,

I just watched a replay of the goal conceded. Clisby thought we won the free kick and jogged up the field leaving McManaman on his lonesome.

turbo

Staj needs to find a miracle this week to prevent AU taking us to school. That's 2 games in a row where we haven't even turned up
Maybe it being Adelaide after the robbery last time we played will be the catalyst the squad needs to fire up again. You’re right that we need to find something to get out mojo back. I didn’t have a great feeling about the game being an expected big win, I think mentally expecting a tough game against Adelaide and being wronged before suits us better.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Maybe it being Adelaide after the robbery last time we played will be the catalyst the squad needs to fire up again. You’re right that we need to find something to get out mojo back. I didn’t have a great feeling about the game being an expected big win, I think mentally expecting a tough game against Adelaide and being wronged before suits us better.
Yeah, I'm hoping for that. Hope it gives us that push to get our heads back in the game. That includes Staj.

This is a big and difficult week for Staj and the leadership group.

scottmac

Suspended
I just watched a replay of the goal conceded. Clisby thought we won the free kick and jogged up the field leaving McManaman on his lonesome.
The linesman raised his flag for offside and I think that's what sent Clisby upfield when the whistle went. Either way he can't leave a player that far advanced and still onside at a dead ball situation. Even if it was our free it was very poor positional play. Could have just moved 3 or 4m in front of the victory player so the ball could be played into that space. Clisby's mistakes that lead to goals are starting to rack up.

LFCMariners

Last night was the first time I recall going into a game anxious this season, mainly due to the expectation that CCM "should" beat a side with their own troubles and lingering at the bottom of the ladder. I actually expected Melbourne to grab the first goal, it's typical a team like that with nothing to lose chances their hand more early and grabs the lead, so all things considering...

I would've been really concerned if, going 1-nil down, CCM had gone completely flat or started playing panic football. But Urena grabbed the equaliser and for the rest of the game we were the better side. Last night was more about luck and tactics (passing it sideways when going forward there were better opportunities to get in open space, players going themselves when they had support inside to switch it and set up a better scoring opportunity, Staj subbing Urena off and Kuol on and the timing of both) than it was about attitude or morale in the squad

I'll leave it until after the Adelaide game to judge whether there's a slump going on or whether there's tactics that need to be adjusted....

pjennings

I know Ollie mentioned the free kick before their goal some of our players thought the decision was was going the other way for the offside. This is the reason Clisby was so out of position. That's on us. Credit to Brimmer as well for seizing the opportunity. However, the ball was still moving when he took the free kick. He pushed the ball to the right and then took the free kick while it was still moving.

Staj was complaining about the signaling of the ref to the 4th. He then asked was the VAR checked for the the ball moving after we had all yelled out about it. The 4th said it was checked. I watched the replay last night and it was definitely still moving.

Michael

The linesman raised his flag for offside and I think that's what sent Clisby upfield when the whistle went. Either way he can't leave a player that far advanced and still onside at a dead ball situation. Even if it was our free it was very poor positional play. Could have just moved 3 or 4m in front of the victory player so the ball could be played into that space. Clisby's mistakes that lead to goals are starting to rack up.

he had what? 3 decent matches this season? It’s been my belief this entire time, he is by far and away the weak link in the team and will continue to be.
Mcmanaman was victory’s only threat, he was always going to get one big chance from some kind of Clisby error. And he scored.

Staj f**ked his subs up big time, left it way too late. Why isn’t Janota starting?
We are so predictable now, our attacks are always the same. Over lapping full backs and crosses. Needs to be sorted out very very quickly otherwise all this brilliant work is going to be brutally undone.

Ancient Mariner

But Matt and Urena are both old strikers. After an exhausted box to box midfielder, they should be the first to go and they should bloody well know they’re going to go.
This, more than anything should be the lesson learnt.
I would go much further and play Matty from the bench and start Kuol or even Bouman up front. Urena can lay on some beautiful assists but we need some speed up there to take advantage of them. I suspect Kuol will be seen as a danger and draw two defenders which should provide more space for others.
We also definitely need Nizz on the park to organise some positive go forward. Ollie is playing deep in attack to start the attack rolling which is fine but we need some extra spark in the middle to link with the forwards so Urena does not have to drop too deep.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I know Ollie mentioned the free kick before their goal some of our players thought the decision was was going the other way for the offside. This is the reason Clisby was so out of position. That's on us. Credit to Brimmer as well for seizing the opportunity. However, the ball was still moving when he took the free kick. He pushed the ball to the right and then took the free kick while it was still moving.

Staj was complaining about the signaling of the ref to the 4th. He then asked was the VAR checked for the the ball moving after we had all yelled out about it. The 4th said it was checked. I watched the replay last night and it was definitely still moving.

Faghani made an absolute mess of that restart.

Even his whistling would have confused people. I've never seen a referee with poorer whistling than him - he's whistled 20 times for a sub before. That FK, he whistled 8 times. Just absurd.

The whistle is a communication tool. And that means that I should be able to make a fair guess on how many free kicks, yellow cards, red cards, penalty kicks and subs there were from the sound of the whistle alone, even if I wasn't watching the game. Whistling like that, nobody has any clue what he's calling.

He also put an arm straight up in the air for an indirect first - so that was clearly the wrong signal. There was an offside - that just meant the advantage couldn't be played. But he shouldn't have signalled it. You see that Clisby saw the offside arm, then put his head down and started jogging up the field before Faghani corrected his signal. Having said that, he wasn't the only one around there - Rowles was in the middle and wasn't watching the line - he needed to be screaming at Clisby and covering himself; he did neither. So, I'd say Rowles is just as much at fault - whose in the middle needs to be controlling that back line. Rowles at least had the opportunity to see it was a MV free kick - but still didn't look around until it was too late.

And yes, the ball was moving. Given he rolled it back to himself then kicked it immediately, there's a pretty good case for a double touch too.

Last edited:

marinermick

People in the front half of Bay 16 should breathe a sigh of relief that it was not a goal frenzy for CCM - @marinermick and I were ready to launch a rather lot of $$ worth of beer into the atmosphere, providing "beer showers" for the bay, but unfortunately that did not happen.

Next time Mick, next time.

And I am in my much poorer state today for consuming that beer rather launching it in a beer shower

Ancient Mariner

Both our fullbacks did some good things but both made some bad errors. Clisby diving in when he shouldn't and just simple mistakes from Nigro.
However, their only goal came from a quickly taken free kick, and the only other real chance came at the end of the game when Elvis (most overhyped player in the league) made his break and got around Birraz.
Watch the replay. Three of our defenders busted a gut to get back to block him or any cross.
I would not mess with the back four at present. Our problem is finding the back of the net.

Tevor

Watched the replay, we just couldn’t finish and we all know if you don’t take your chances you generally don’t get the chocolates. They had two chances and put one away, we had at least 5 good chances and put one away and that’s football. Emotion got the better of me last night and the disappointment of the result but we did play ok just didn’t finish.

DDS, Bouman, Urena and Nis when he came on all had outstanding games and I think our attack wasn’t that bad. LB and RB were not strong and some of the crosses were not good enough. We just needed one from what felt like 30 to be on the mark.

They started playing for a draw from 35 mins and they pushed the limits in stalling the game enough to be able to hang on. The Ref had some real moments, the IFK should have been re-taken as they jumped off the line. But the Ref didn’t stop us from hitting the back of the net on at least 5 good chances. We should have won and dropped 2 points. I hope this fires us up for the Reds game.

I don’t think we need any drastic changes it was just one of those nights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami