• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Wombat

You’re grossly overestimating the value of a kid that has had a handful of starts and has only looked threatening in a small percentage of them.

Pearls before swine with you lot.

If you can’t see what you have in front of you that’s up to you.

Enjoy zero penetration from the midfield for the rest of the year.

I’m like insertnamehere.....I’m going to the park/pub.

marinermick

Pearls before swine with you lot.

If you can’t see what you have in front of you that’s up to you.

Enjoy zero penetration from the midfield for the rest of the year.

I’m like insertnamehere.....I’m going to the park/pub.

And what penetration has he supplied since the Perth game? Eleven games, one goal, no assists and only twelve crosses are suggestive of meaningful penetration?

His game has been worked out and he has not been able to adapt. Defenders just shepherd him down the line where he runs out of space. They have also become more physical with him as well. Remember that crunching tackle he received away at Sydney? He subsequently kept coughing up possession because he was looking over his left shoulder for another tackle. Janes Meredith also had him in his pocket.

If this is silk then I am watching a different game.

Last edited:

turbo

Even if you believe he can be a 1m player at some point you’re taking a significant risk assuming he’ll get there while contracted with us, doesn’t hit a form slump or injury. I can see why the payday would be appealing if its as reported, it’s not a small chunk of revenue for a club like ours.

Reactions: Ads

Forum Phoenix

Even if you believe he can be a 1m player at some point you’re taking a significant risk assuming he’ll get there while contracted with us, doesn’t hit a form slump or injury. I can see why the payday would be appealing if its as reported, it’s not a small chunk of revenue for a club like ours.

That’s how I see it. I would have ideally liked to keep him for 2 years, get some good football out of him and then sell him for as much as possible. But you never know what can happen. He does still need time to develop, and we need results ASAP, and 400k in the hand could be the critical difference in fielding a strong enough side next year.

Wombats right that Silvera could be worth multiple times that in a year or two ( I’d bet he will be) but given how weak a position we’re in, can we really afford to gamble? This is a bird in the hand scenario.

pjennings

That’s how I see it. I would have ideally liked to keep him for 2 years, get some good football out of him and then sell him for as much as possible. But you never know what can happen. He does still need time to develop, and we need results ASAP, and 400k in the hand could be the critical difference in fielding a strong enough side next year.

Wombats right that Silvera could be worth multiple times that in a year or two ( I’d bet he will be) but given how weak a position we’re in, can we really afford to gamble? This is a bird in the hand scenario.

I hope not. I want that to help re-sign Birraz and a couple of others. However, the game changers are our own IP and stadium rights. They have the potential to really change the dynamics at the club. They also are not without their risks. The club has had no experience managing a stadium and while it could be a golden goose that area will need to be funded/managed with care. Equally - owning our own IP is worthless unless the right player/players can be attracted.

If both the stadium rights happen and we control our own IP then next season is the season to invest heavily in the squad. Not only in visa players - but in OS Aussies coming off contract at the right age. The obvious first XI has to be a match for any team while the second team needs to be filled with the best youth.

turbo

The other thing selling him does is say to the younger players in the league we will help you get game time and that dream move overseas rather than hiding you behind a price that won’t be paid. There’s some value in that when we lack the prestige and big budget of some other clubs.

Michael

The other thing selling him does is say to the younger players in the league we will help you get game time and that dream move overseas rather than hiding you behind a price that won’t be paid. There’s some value in that when we lack the prestige and big budget of some other clubs.

brilliant point. I mean, I’m not upset if he ends up leaving this month. Whilst I rate him so highly he has underwhelmed since about round 6 (growing pains) and he’s definitely been carrying some niggles. We’re the winners, some money into the clubz DRD moves up the pecking order which also should mean another of our great bunch of youth boys moves into DRD’s previous spot.
In reality, Silvera is the loser. There’s absolutely no way he’ll start over the older visa players at LAFC. Long term is better for him and possibly better again for us with a sell on %.
And as you say it puts us on the map of young players around the league, like we used to be!
Look at the likes of Devlin at the Nix this year, he’s been killing it and he only went there because he had no hope of a break through with Sydney.

marinermick

I hope not. I want that to help re-sign Birraz and a couple of others. However, the game changers are our own IP and stadium rights. They have the potential to really change the dynamics at the club. They also are not without their risks. The club has had no experience managing a stadium and while it could be a golden goose that area will need to be funded/managed with care. Equally - owning our own IP is worthless unless the right player/players can be attracted.

If both the stadium rights happen and we control our own IP then next season is the season to invest heavily in the squad. Not only in visa players - but in OS Aussies coming off contract at the right age. The obvious first XI has to be a match for any team while the second team needs to be filled with the best youth.

Stadium rights - the next golden goose after the CoE.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I think we're starting to see that for whatever reason we're not able to get anymore out of Silvera in terms of his development. Him moving on would be win-win if we get a nice fee out of it

Michael

So a couple of our youth boys are going on loan to a Serbian club that Anton has strong links with. The club has put a statement up about it...
This excites me because it says to me that a partnership is there and this is a good will kind of thing.
Give us a couple more Serbians in the ilk of Milan please.

Big Al

SS.

I’ll take one in the hand thanks. Especially when it includes sell on clauses. If he is a million dollar man in the future we still get some of that.

Ancient Mariner

SS still has a long way to go before he is A-League level. A lot of young developing players have left us for better deals elsewhere in the last couple of years and struggled. Bernie, Amini. Rogic and Matt were the only ones to really Kick on but they were much further advanced than our recent youngsters. Caceras is starting to perform after quite a few years, Lachie is going better than I thought he would but is still in the A-League and not setting the world on fire, and TBT has a lot of sub time yet with SFC, even allowing for his injury. DDS went too soon and ruined his development.
I liked SS in the Cup and early games, he showed a lot of promise but since then he has faded badly. His defence has always been woeful and his attack has been pretty well worked out by oppositions.
He can shoot and take on players. I think he could turn into a useful #10 and if he stays I would like to see him play there.
However I think his move is ill advised and has probably come from a manager who can see his percentage rather than SS's future. I fear like others he will be bought up cheaply (o'seas budgets) along with as many other youngsters from around the world, given a chance and if he does not perform quickly enough, he will be dumped, with a couple of wasted years to his credit.
If I were the Club I would grab the $400k plus on sells as money for jam.
I would be happy if he comes back and progresses here, however he could continue to improve somewhat for the next couple of years and then move to SFC for no fee.

Play poker, you have to work out the pot odds versus the card odds to determine the value of your decision.

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

SS still has a long way to go before he is A-League level. A lot of young developing players have left us for better deals elsewhere in the last couple of years and struggled. Bernie, Amini. Rogic and Matt were the only ones to really Kick on but they were much further advanced than our recent youngsters. Caceras is starting to perform after quite a few years, Lachie is going better than I thought he would but is still in the A-League and not setting the world on fire, and TBT has a lot of sub time yet with SFC, even allowing for his injury. DDS went too soon and ruined his development.
I liked SS in the Cup and early games, he showed a lot of promise but since then he has faded badly. His defence has always been woeful and his attack has been pretty well worked out by oppositions.
He can shoot and take on players. I think he could turn into a useful #10 and if he stays I would like to see him play there.
However I think his move is ill advised and has probably come from a manager who can see his percentage rather than SS's future. I fear like others he will be bought up cheaply (o'seas budgets) along with as many other youngsters from around the world, given a chance and if he does not perform quickly enough, he will be dumped, with a couple of wasted years to his credit.
If I were the Club I would grab the $400k plus on sells as money for jam.
I would be happy if he comes back and progresses here, however he could continue to improve somewhat for the next couple of years and then move to SFC for no fee.

Play poker, you have to work out the pot odds versus the card odds to determine the value of your decision.
So another Kekeris? - good at running sideways, plenty of step overs and no end product. We had loads of them in NYL and Monty has moved them on. The kids he has now work hard to earn the right to display their skills
The Australian curriculum seems to produce kids who can run fast, do tricks and who fail when faced with a well trained defender (Kekeris, Wales, DDS, SS etc etc). Listening to Craig Foster wanking on about Spanish and Dutch football probably doesnt help
A scum junior development coach calls it the "Hoole effect" as a kid he was the best in every grade and age team he played in so he believed he was a superstar. Then he came up against proper footballers and the rest is history. They reckon he should have gone to Sydney NPL at 15 or 16 to develop.
In other countries they add pace, power and workrate to those skills - we seem not to as we think tricks alone are sufficient. They arent.
Miller is the archetypal Aussie athlete. Strong, powerful and will run all day. That plus his skill makes him arguably the break out AL player of the season so far.
Hall, Hatch and Kuol in youth are out of the same mould (Kuol is a mean little sod too which is nice to see)
For all of our piss taking are Monty and Phelan the 2 best things to happen to our club since the GF?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami