• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners @ Glory Hole 15/3

bikinigirl

• presence in the midfield-- did you mean as in numbers? Or TB's suggestion of Hall or Ruon at 6?

. i was meaning numbers ... but what i really mean is effective presence. you are right Nizz, apparently, is expected to do the work of five

. oh and wandering about aimlessly for five minutes after conceding possession at the end of a 30 metre run is not effective presence Mr Muller :rolleyes:

. of course sitting the opposition on their arse occasionally also serves a purpose :innocent:

Man Overboard

Can't believe I stayed up for that one. Appalling stuff.
I watched the replay the next day. What an awful performance. I'm all for giving the academy guys a taste, but I sometimes think we are expecting too much from them. I also think we missed Miller raiding into the opposition half and getting into the box. We have to somehow get the ball to our strikers. We have quality there but they cant score if they don't get the ball. Just an idea but are they too similar in style [both wanting to beat their man and go for goal-dont get me wrong its a good thing] but I wonder if we had someone like Simon there who holds the ball up, draws defenders and plays with his back to goal. I am impressed by Nisbet and Cy and as smaller players with a quick change of direction and great close ball control/technical skills I think we could try them as attacking mids to feed our strikers. Yes they may get knocked over, but hopefully it will be near the box with free kicks resulting.

Last edited:

Wombat

Great post BG.

I'm glad Monty was very unhappy with that performance - gives hope. And I agree with Wombat, that's a breath of fresh air. But hard not to be worried. Clearly we have some problems.
  • passing speed and accuracy

- Yeah it's obviously a big deficiency for us. I love Olly, but I'm with Ancient when he suggests Niz is likely a better forward distributor of the ball than Olly — but sadly Olly just can't do what Nizz is doing for us right now either and we'd be getting murdered without him doing the work he's doing - his turn over rate and general cover play is f**king exceptional.

Botttom line, without a ten and or better/faster wide players — especially when absent Miller— we're creating very little link play. And then when teams press, we don't have the passing range to play more direct and overcome it, and we look easily hemmed in.

Ruon also used to play some great straight 30 metre passes last year which are now gone. And Faz is THE player constantly being put in the best position to begin our attack and or play a key final ball. Which he's clearly just not up to this yet. Not his fault. Great defender for 19. So for mine this is a tactical error.

• presence in the midfield-- did you mean as in numbers? Or TB's suggestion of Hall or Ruon at 6?

Personally, I'm not convinced a midfield enforcer is our issue. Because we're not being out muscled, we're simply being bypassed all together which if fit, is a function of structure/organisation. And is a worse problem imho.

What really bothers me, is that every single team (barring maybe roar) moves the ball through our side to the edge of the 18 yard box with absolute ease unless we're already back and set up. Meanwhile by god how hard do we have to work to get the ball to the edge of our opponents box.

• interaction and coordination between our front men

Loss of Matty combing with Marcos has hurt us. Loss of Nisbet combining with Marcos has hurt us. Loss of Moresche combining with Marcos has hurt us. Loss of DDS combining with everyone has hurt us. And now the absence of Marcos and Cummings combining effectively at all tops it right off.

Does anyone think Cummings is a hold up man? I don't. Does anyone think he's a subtle player with the footwork to combine for tight triangles and clever link play like Moresche that suits a player like Urena? I don't. I think he's a direct striker that needs people to get the ball to his feet anywhere in or around the box and he'll be a massive threat.

It's a big problem to fix. Our two best attackers are very different kind of footballers with very different needs.

Then add in slow ball movement and limited passing range... teams know all they have to do is press hard on DM's or CB's, close down our flanks quickly and at the other end keep two big CB's on Cummings or Urena and we'll get very little joy.

Lot of great players in our squad - shame not to be a finals side, but we're seemingly at least three players short. I personally think Guarang was a massive loss and could have had a real break through season for us. None of our other bench players are impressing me.

Wondering what's going on with Moresche.

Mueller back will help, and so will Miller, but in our present formation, with our current issues, will it be enough?
Im told Moreshe will be back next week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred