• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners FFA Cup Thread

Wombat

The plusses.........

1. Matty Simon. Very good signing, showed he is a step above what we are used to and has a massive heart.
2. Clisby. Probably our MOTM. Another good signing.
3. Pain. Looked useful but obviously not fully match fit.

Rowles just about on par with some good challenges and one superb covering tackle but still green.

The minuses.................everyone else.

Obviously we didnt expect to win with that squad and we cannot play 3 at the back without a quality back 3. Defensively we are woeful and sadly Pearce is the worst keeper at CCM since Trott and we have had some dogs.

Josho Howe

Disappointing is an understatement on that performance. It really showed that that was our first game of the pre-season. Only up from here (you hope)

Michael

The plusses.........

1. Matty Simon. Very good signing, showed he is a step above what we are used to and has a massive heart.
3. Pain. Looked useful but obviously not fully match fit.

Rowles just about on par with some good challenges and one superb covering tackle but still green.

The minuses.................everyone else.

Obviously we didnt expect to win with that squad and we cannot play 3 at the back without a quality back 3. Defensively we are woeful and sadly Pearce is the worst keeper at CCM since Trott and we have had some dogs.

Totally agree
I have big hope for Rowles he has the basics there just needs to go up a level.
Clisby was decent, will be very good when fit.
Melling took on a lot of responsibility tonight, some bad passes and lost the ball in bad areas a few times but stayed constantly involved. Which can be a mentally hard thing for some CM’s. He can be a very good deputy to Tom in there.

Berry is definitely not a RB/RWB, end of.
Nisbet had an okay 45minutes against good pro’s.
Kekeris had limited touches and got bumped around abit but 2 glimpses of what he’s about... a very sharp turn in a tight area before a nice little pass for Berry and that lightning break away just no one could keep up.

It was always going to be a bad night for the boys.

Rowdy

The plusses.........
Thought Simo held the ball up really well tonite.

Just lacking in options for Matty to lay off those controlled balls to one of either:
- close / central (very rarely)
- or wide (players not pushing on to recieve the ball in at least 'square' or better yet, 'in behind'
...... & THIS really, really needs work on.

style_cafe

I`m glad the radio carked it at halftime..
The woman on 96.3fm had the worst, most annoying voice I`ve ever heard.:redcard:

Rowdy

Agreed on motm.

He impressed me from the kick-off, carrys the ball forward with confidence (*unlike Rowles), can get himself out of trouble when he's closed down (ditto *) & has good speed in recovery transition back to defence.

All of which helping Rowles to 'look better than he actually was' :cool:,
- this was before Cisse went off, after which Kye had more responsibillity in covering CB ..... which had a knock-on effect on Clisby having a bigger 'hole' in behind him to help defend.

Just on tonite's performance, I think Clisby easily manages the LB position in a back 4 (whilst/as well as) still bombing on up the flank in attacking raids
...... something Rowles is incapable of both 'technically' & more importantly 'athletically'

Last edited:

Rowdy

Pearce did his best to make it more but the the posts kept saving him!
'Statuesque' performance (the frozen kind ...not the dignified kind)
..... to say the very least !!

Mrs Rowdy;
- "Why isn't he moving ??"
"The post just saved his arse!"
- "He's done it again !!???"
Her: :confused:
Me: :oops:

midfielder

Gotta say if not for the news breaking over whether FFA have tried to derail the committees report to FIFA then the sound of laughter and whether we deserve a spot in the top division would be deafening ...

Shaun if you read this, its not good for old members coming back...maybe Ian Thrope could come out of retirement ...

Scotty

Given the current squad, if we'd won that match, it would have been an unexpected fluke. All we can do is use it as a pre-season match and move on. There's still plenty of time before the season starts to shape the squad.

I thought Clisby was busy and looked promising, a good signing. Matty showed that he has matured and improved, I hope his body is up to it. He doesn't have Clarkey anymore.

Wombat

I thought
Each time he steps up he fails. That's called a pattern.

I seen him live 3 or 4 times and do not rate him at all. I was shocked he was given a contract but that would have been Pikey's idea as he would be on minimum wage.....why have a decent number 3 would have been MC's thinking.
As I stated previously if Gauci doesn't turn out to be a new Wonderkid we are in trouble.

Pirate Pete

Given the current squad, if we'd won that match, it would have been an unexpected fluke. All we can do is use it as a pre-season match and move on. There's still plenty of time before the season starts to shape the squad.

I thought Clisby was busy and looked promising, a good signing. Matty showed that he has matured and improved, I hope his body is up to it. He doesn't have Clarkey anymore.

MM was talking about Simon not playing much football over the last couple of seasons.
It got me thinking of an article I read about Wayne Rooney. It said he played so much football
especially in his mid twenties that he was now rooted. His body has had it.
Whereas Matty has been resting up for a couple of years so he should be raring to go.

As for the game last night, I had trouble concentrating to be honest. All a bit....
icon_neutral.gif
to be honest.

localpom

MM was talking about Simon not playing much football over the last couple of seasons.
It got me thinking of an article I read about Wayne Rooney. It said he played so much football
especially in his mid twenties that he was now rooted. His body has had it.
Whereas Matty has been resting up for a couple of years so he should be raring to go.

As for the game last night, I had trouble concentrating to be honest. All a bit....
icon_neutral.gif
to be honest.
Yes, it's much the case for Rooney. Actually played from 16 at a high level and with England from 17. Body was struggling around 28.
Lets hope Matt can have a couple of great seasons for us, we really need a talisman.

localpom

Not too worried at this stage. Adelaide are pretty advanced at their stage of pre season having already played a few games. They would obviously have been better prepared at this point. They also fielded a very strong side, whereas ours obviously was very light on.

Reactions: adz

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I watched the first half on the link that was posted....I didn’t watch the second half , went and watched a heavy metal doco instead...BUT....i like Clisby , he was the jewel in a bag of rocks on the night, and wotsisname mini hutcho, he was alright too, two years part time for Matty might work to our favor , everybody else looked half cooked....
if Pearce, The josh Bingham of goal keepers is EVER allowed to keep at anything but training from now on, someone doing squad picks needs slapping ....but it was about what I expected

Timmah

Simon, Clisby both looked reasonable around what was really a bit-part team.

Plenty of injured and rested players to return through pre-season and early season games, and still a handful of signings to come according to MM.

Not pulling the pin out of the grenade just yet.

Offsider

Simon, Clisby both looked reasonable around what was really a bit-part team.

Plenty of injured and rested players to return through pre-season and early season games, and still a handful of signings to come according to MM.

Not pulling the pin out of the grenade just yet.

DDs and tbt both looked good for sfc.
Dds faded second half but fit into the team. Tbt looked good although his finishing is still shit ......... he will score a few this season with the support he had.

Ccm not even a work in progress yet.:doh:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred