• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners fan forum at Ettalong

Pirate Pete

They mumbled at some point that we'd signed a keeper.
Not sure if they meant Pearce or the Umina Eagles under 10's.
Couldn't be bothered to hang around after to ask.
Hope that helps.

I agree with Midfielder though. Anton seemed good. Hopefully he'll bring something to the club.
I understand what he said about spending the money wiser than last season. Hopefully we will.
I liked the way he sniggered when talking about McCormack and Cisse.

turbo

Didn’t commit to spending the cap but do seem more aware of the need to spend it smartly and mentioned certain players weren’t earning their keep. Committed to spending between the floor and the cap.

Wombat

It was a good forum.
Staj is very impressive and very honest.
Anton is also impressive and I think is the missing link.
Shaun is very happy to have Anton alongside him on the board for guidance.
They are getting a lot right behind the scenes by the sounds of it

A new keeper is coming. New Visa players are coming.

Apparently we have 13 players signed now and another 7 or 8 to go.

Staj said 2 players have not been told of their future the others have all been informed. So if all the cards fall correctly with the signing of better players, presumably those 2 will be released.

I'm feeling alot happier.

Some good questions from the floor mixed in with a bit of venting and the occasional bit of waffle but it was pretty well mannered. FP was probably the pick of the litter with a 3 pronged question. No wonder this bloke is such a successful local businessman. I'd suggest the club should approach him to join the board.

Last edited:

turbo

Admittedly I didn’t catch it all but Anton did give the impression that he could provide a perspective that MC hasn’t had previously because he isn’t on his payroll and might be viewed more as a peer.

Ancient Mariner

I think Wombat has covered it all the important stuff. A couple things I can add.
The impression I got was that Tommy was let go because he did not make enough impact as a visa player and was a bit injury prone. Not value for money.
Future visa players must have an impact like Isais or Castro.
Agree that Anton is the missing link. Just by my early judgement he will act as a director demanding to know why things are not working. I doubt we will have mixups about who has authority to offer a contract (Millar). I do not think we will again see a situation where Mulvey and his agent do the recruiting with this guy watching.
He is passionate and gets on with Staj.
Shaun is a nice guy but this bloke will bring some steel into the Club.
Talking to a staff member he is already ruffling quite a few feathers in the right way.
Brief quiet word from Staj is that Oar will be fit next year and is good now.

The overall feeling I got was hope (Yeh heard it before), but this time there appears to be a professional feel to it. Mostly due to Anton and Staj.

Nice to meet up with some other forum posters there.

A good night.

To those who still doubt my advice is get your money on early while the odds are long. No miracles, but definitely a big corner turned.

Forum Phoenix

It was a good forum.
Staj is very impressive and very honest.
Anton is also impressive and I think is the missing link.
Shaun is very happy to have Anton alongside him on the board for guidance.
They are getting a lot right behind the scenes by the sounds of it

A new keeper is coming. New Visa players are coming.

Apparently we have 13 players signed now and another 7 or 8 to go.

Staj said 2 players have not been told of their future the others have all been informed. So if all the cards fall correctly with the signing of better players, presumably those 2 will be released.

I'm feeling a lot happier.

Some good questions from the floor mixed in with a bit of venting and the occasional bit of waffle but it was pretty well mannered. FP was probably the pick of the litter with a 3 pronged question. No wonder this bloke is such a successful local businessman. I'd suggest the club should approach him to join the board.

I agree with Wombat's thoughts on the forum. (Was great to see you and Ancient there Wombat.)

Lot to unpack, so I'd watch the clubs FB livestream if you're really keen.

Main highlights. Anyone else please feel free to cut and paste in more stuff to this post.

1. Staj
Spoke very well. Clear, very capable and strong mind, highly focused and professional. Coaching full time for 20 years. Youngest coach to get level 3 (back in NSL days when it was the highest accreditation). Anton says he has an encyclopedic knowledge of Australian players from 17-18 years onward and by Staj's admission within Australian football he is as well networked as we could possibly hope for. Strong links into Westfield sports high. He's pragmatic about the time it will likely take to build and strengthen, but confirmed he's ambitious and will always be playing to win. From a preseason friendly to the FFA cup – which he will be taking seriously.

Very clear that our players will be held to a high professional level, training intensity will be way up on what it was, with longer sessions – basically what Wombat reported as soon as Staj took over. And Staj confessed he was surprised at our players lack of fitness when he took over. Stressed this wasn't the only reason we could lead 9 out of 21 games but then lose them. Lot of elements we can and will do better. Strong video analysis, using data and S&C are all merely the baseline of what it means to be a professional club.

He feels strongly about community engagement – so players will need to also.

He believes the A league MUST have strong regional clubs. Finally. Music to my bloody ears that was.

2. Anton
Is a clever successful man who loves football and will be the extra hands on the ground we've been missing from a management perspective. Based in Sydney but speaks to MC all the time. Will provide Shaun with some well deserved and badly needed help. Like Wombat and Ancient and several others there, I believe he's a missing link. Strong willed character, broadly knowledgeable and clearly likes to be in control – which we need imho.

He defended MC a bit, how he loses between 1 to sometimes closer to 2 mill per year. Stressed that our spending is much less of an issue than how wisely we've spent and the blunders we've made, like spending 1/3rd of our salaries on two terrible failure visa players in McCormack and Cisse - apparently 1.1 million cannot be repeated. Staj can't make promises but is doing everything he can to make sure our visa players do the job we need. Anton also stressed that if teams like Spurs in the EPL can bridge far higher expenditure gaps, that the much smaller gaps here can be achieved also.

Re the FFA cup, Anton also jumped in on saying how it's unacceptable for an A league side to be losing to teams like Blacktown of GG. Anton also said he's the one to temper Staj's ambition and stressed the import of being pragmatic about climbing the ladder, stating to be inside the top 6 this year and he'd be happy.

Stated that mistakes of letting our young or breakout players like Millar stolen won't happen on his watch.
Said Phelan will have very minimal involvement now and that he and his football director from his club in Malta are

3. Recruitment
Staj does not think our roster was as weak as it appeared last year, but it is definitely not strong enough either. Only two more players may or may not be released. Surely it's Kennedy and Hoole. Even if he keeps them it shows they're on serious notice, which is something at least. 7 or 8 to come in. They were careful, but I got the impression that weren't overly happy with some of our previous 2 year signings.

4. Expenditure
Squad - Between floor and cap again Shaun said. Approx 3.3 million I guess if the figure of 1.1mill as a third of our wages is correct.
Shaun said increased spending when it came to football department and support structure.
Better financial outlook for CCM with the change of ownership but there is a hand over period of some length so won't be immediate. (So you were right JP). They're definitely happy with the change over as it gives them a genuine say in the direction of the league at last.

Bits & Bobs
Adding more rewards for members.
Ground will be in good condition and hopefully we'll play some pre-season games and FFA cup there.
Glassock being allowed to leave had sound reasoning behind it and was beyond amicable – hopefully he will grow and return ready for HAL level.
Tommy being let go... acknowledgement of his quality, but also a desire by Staj to move on and hopefully recruit even better.
There was concern from the podcast boys that we've heard it all before and nothing has changed. For mine the key difference are:
– Staj himself, but also critically the 3 year deal - the longevity/stability and power to rebuild that gives compared to one year deals.
– Increased/improved management support at the top of our club as stressed by Shaun and evidenced in Anton.
– Guaranteeing to do some of the simple but important things that we always should have - S&C, Video analysis etc (Staj also mentioned he thinks in Duncan we have the best sports science guy in the country consulting for us).
– Better attention being placed on as careful as possible visa recruitment.
– Unlike some years, we spent reasonably on visa spots last year. But imagine we had Krishna instead of McCormack and Schenkeveld instead of Cisse. We will repeat this level of spend but hopefully to much better effect.
– T
aking our pre-season and the FFA cup very seriously.
– Clearly higher expectations being set by management as per not acceptable to lose to State league sides and fitness etc.
– Fan engagement throughout the season, especially if things are going badly - no hiding - as per Anton's comments.
– Having Monty as Youth coach will hopefully help bridge the gap and link our youth into senior team better, as well as Staj's policy of training all youth with the seniors and knowing everyone intimately - as compared to our past and how clubs like WSW are stated to do it.

There will be another fan forum in 6 weeks approx in Gosford.

That's the bulk I think. But definitely some other bits I haven't remembered and hopefully other can add.

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

Watched the livestream and to a degree it has made me more positive for the season ahead. Anton looks to be positive figure but at the same time one who will not contribute financially.

Not spending the whole cap is incredibly disappointing, it is handed to us for that exact reason, and we should not be using it to subsidize other areas of the club. It is a failing of the business side of club if we cannot afford the rest of our staff, football is not a money making business only a handful of clubs around the world make any money whatsoever, Charlesworth's expectation to is insane. Also Shaun cited that we are 7 million dollar turnover club, how are we still losing the same amount of money that Charlesworth cited in 2014 if we are making 2 million more?

What is even more disappointing is that even with the new income streams that will be available to Charlesworth through and independent A-League we are still not spending the whole cap, that is reprehensible. At this point he is stealing from the coffers of Australian football. I understand Anton's reasoning in regard to money, but extra money allows room for mistakes when we cannot afford to make any. If we make any mistakes with recruiting at our current spend we will collect another wooden spoon and not exist come the 20/21 season. Current FFA board members are threatening our license, we should be pouring every dollar we can into making our squad incapable of getting the spoon no matter how dysfunctional they are and we simply aren't.

I frankly don't get the sense that the club is at Defcon 1 and they need to be. The existence of our club is on the line.

adz

Staff member
My internet dropped out but the bits I heard sound a bit same-same. Not sure what else they can be expected to say though. We're going to spend money more wisely, look for better quality players, etc, etc. Seem to remember similar when Mulvey came in, talking about people like Asdrubal and how if we had just sent someone over to have a chat with them we'd have realised they weren't serious. Same sort of talk re players and not buying expensive duds. Dunno what happened last time or what the difference will be this time??

Wombat

Any word on Jem?

Nothing specific. Only that our visa players need to be higher level and those same players only scored 1 goal (not correct, Jem got 1 so that's a grand total of 2).

I think Jem is long gone, although he could be one of the 2 players the club are undecided about.
I was told he was made an offer but it was smallish, probably in line with them not nesseserily thinking he is starting 11.

Staj said many many managers and agents are offering him players including visa players so they don't need to rush these important decisions.

Ancient Mariner

I agree with Wombat's thoughts on the forum. (Was great to see you and Ancient there Wombat.)

Lot to unpack, so I'd watch the clubs FB livestream if you're really keen.

Main highlights. Anyone else please feel free to cut and paste in more stuff to this post.

1. Staj
Spoke very well. Clear, very capable and strong mind, highly focused and professional. Coaching full time for 20 years. Youngest coach to get level 3 (back in NSL days when it was the highest accreditation). Anton says he has an encyclopedic knowledge of Australian players from 17-18 years onward and by Staj's admission within Australian football he is as well networked as we could possibly hope for. Strong links into Westfield sports high. He's pragmatic about the time it will likely take to build and strengthen, but confirmed he's ambitious and will always be playing to win. From a preseason friendly to the FFA cup – which he will be taking seriously.

Very clear that our players will be held to a high professional level, training intensity will be way up on what it was, with longer sessions – basically what Wombat reported as soon as Staj took over. And Staj confessed he was surprised at our players lack of fitness when he took over. Stressed this wasn't the only reason we could lead 9 out of 21 games but then lose them. Lot of elements we can and will do better. Strong video analysis, using data and S&C are all merely the baseline of what it means to be a professional club.

He feels strongly about community engagement – so players will need to also.

He believes the A league MUST have strong regional clubs. Finally. Music to my bloody ears that was.

2. Anton
Is a clever successful man who loves football and will be the extra hands on the ground we've been missing from a management perspective. Based in Sydney but speaks to MC all the time. Will provide Shaun with some well deserved and badly needed help. Like Wombat and Ancient and several others there, I believe he's a missing link. Strong willed character, broadly knowledgeable and clearly likes to be in control – which we need imho.

He defended MC a bit, how he loses between 1 to sometimes closer to 2 mill per year. Stressed that our spending is much less of an issue than how wisely we've spent and the blunders we've made, like spending 1/3rd of our salaries on two terrible failure visa players in McCormack and Cisse - apparently 1.1 million cannot be repeated. Staj can't make promises but is doing everything he can to make sure our visa players do the job we need. Anton also stressed that if teams like Spurs in the EPL can bridge far higher expenditure gaps, that the much smaller gaps here can be achieved also.

Re the FFA cup, Anton also jumped in on saying how it's unacceptable for an A league side to be losing to teams like Blacktown of GG. Anton also said he's the one to temper Staj's ambition and stressed the import of being pragmatic about climbing the ladder, stating to be inside the top 6 this year and he'd be happy.

Stated that mistakes of letting our young or breakout players like Millar stolen won't happen on his watch.
Said Phelan will have very minimal involvement now and that he and his football director from his club in Malta are

3. Recruitment
Staj does not think our roster was as weak as it appeared last year, but it is definitely not strong enough either. Only two more players may or may not be released. Surely it's Kennedy and Hoole. Even if he keeps them it shows they're on serious notice, which is something at least. 7 or 8 to come in. They were careful, but I got the impression that weren't overly happy with some of our previous 2 year signings.

4. Expenditure
Squad - Between floor and cap again Shaun said. Approx 3.3 million I guess if the figure of 1.1mill as a third of our wages is correct.
Shaun said increased spending when it came to football department and support structure.
Better financial outlook for CCM with the change of ownership but there is a hand over period of some length so won't be immediate. (So you were right JP). They're definitely happy with the

Bits & Bobs
Adding more rewards for members.
Ground will be in good condition and hopefully we'll play some pre-season games and FFA cup there.
Glassock being allowed to leave had sound reasoning behind it and was beyond amicable – hopefully he will grow and return ready for HAL level.
Tommy being let go... acknowledgement of his quality, but also a desire by Staj to move on and hopefully recruit even better.
There was concern from the podcast boys that we've heard it all before and nothing has changed. For mine the key difference are:
– Staj himself, but also critically the 3 year deal - the longevity/stability and power to rebuild that gives compared to one year deals.
– Increased/improved management support at the top of our club as stressed by Shaun and evidenced in Anton.
– Guaranteeing to do some of the simple but important things that we always should have - S&C, Video analysis etc (Staj also mentioned he thinks in Duncan we have the best sports science guy in the country consulting for us).
– Better attention being placed on as careful as possible visa recruitment.
– Unlike some years, we spent reasonably on visa spots last year. But imagine we had Krishna instead of McCormack and Schenkeveld instead of Cisse. We will repeat this level of spend but hopefully to much better effect.
– T
aking our pre-season and the FFA cup very seriously.
– Clearly higher expectations being set by management as per not acceptable to lose to State league sides and fitness etc.
– Fan engagement throughout the season, especially if things are going badly - no hiding - as per Anton's comments.
– Having Monty as Youth coach will hopefully help bridge the gap and link our youth into senior team better, as well as Staj's policy of training all youth with the seniors and knowing everyone intimately - as compared to our past and how clubs like WSW are stated to do it.

There will be another fan forum in 6 weeks approx in Gosford.

That's the bulk I think. But definitely some other bits I haven't remembered and hopefully other can add.

Excellent summation FP.
You would make a great minutes secretary.

JoyfulPenguin

My internet dropped out but the bits I heard sound a bit same-same. Not sure what else they can be expected to say though. We're going to spend money more wisely, look for better quality players, etc, etc. Seem to remember similar when Mulvey came in, talking about people like Asdrubal and how if we had just sent someone over to have a chat with them we'd have realised they weren't serious. Same sort of talk re players and not buying expensive duds. Dunno what happened last time or what the difference will be this time??
It seemed very much painted as Anton and Stajcic are the saviours, just ignore Shaun in the corner he can be sacrificed for Charlesworth's sins. If all the organizational decision making has been so poor the last few years why is Shaun still our CEO? I think he is a wonderful fellow but when your leadership leads to our license being questioned our literal existence being questioned, your leadership itself has to be questioned.

It's all well and good to say you will spend your money wisely, I'm sure Moss, Walmsley, Okon and Mulvey thought they were spending their money wisely. But as Stajcic himself said it's impossible to know how players will actually perform until they arrive and play, and it's dangerously simplified to assume that just because you are new to the gig means you will magically avoid the pitfalls of the past four coaches simply because Anton is here now. The honest truth is money, while not the be all and end all, makes things easier, and in a season where we have no room to have difficulties shouldn't the coaches job be made as easy as possible?

Ancient Mariner

Watched the livestream and to a degree it has made me more positive for the season ahead. Anton looks to be positive figure but at the same time one who will not contribute financially.

Not spending the whole cap is incredibly disappointing, it is handed to us for that exact reason, and we should not be using it to subsidize other areas of the club. It is a failing of the business side of club if we cannot afford the rest of our staff, football is not a money making business only a handful of clubs around the world make any money whatsoever, Charlesworth's expectation to is insane. Also Shaun cited that we are 7 million dollar turnover club, how are we still losing the same amount of money that Charlesworth cited in 2014 if we are making 2 million more?

What is even more disappointing is that even with the new income streams that will be available to Charlesworth through and independent A-League we are still not spending the whole cap, that is reprehensible. At this point he is stealing from the coffers of Australian football. I understand Anton's reasoning in regard to money, but extra money allows room for mistakes when we cannot afford to make any. If we make any mistakes with recruiting at our current spend we will collect another wooden spoon and not exist come the 20/21 season. Current FFA board members are threatening our license, we should be pouring every dollar we can into making our squad incapable of getting the spoon no matter how dysfunctional they are and we simply aren't.

I frankly don't get the sense that the club is at Defcon 1 and they need to be. The existence of our club is on the line.

In answer to a couple of your points with some things I picked up last night. Many talking privately before and after.
I got the impression that Anton is contributing financially to the Club but has not bought any share.
I do not think anyone is expecting the Club to run at a profit the aim is for it to break even and stand on its own two feet financially.
Next season there will be other clubs not spending the full cap on players.
On us spending the full cap on players I have no problem if parts of it are spent on positions that are just as important (ie strength and conditioning, video analysis, etc). The Club will spend between the floor and the limit with more being spent as finances (sponsorships) improve.
The Club sees an independent A-League as a boon not only to CCM but the League in general.
The rumour spread that 3 spoons in a row or 3 out of 5 brings licence suspension is not true.
The Club had a win over council about ripping up the pitch hence we will be there at the start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb