• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

finally retired

Yep....agree with marinermick here.
It might sound grubbish but that's what you do to get an advantage for your team. Exactly what Matt Simon would have done and we'd be calling him brilliant.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
if that dropkick had knowingly poked me in the ribs where i just got a pain killer , i would of been doing a red card holiday, cause he would of got a slap in the chops

JoyfulPenguin

Professional football isn’t it! You know an opposition player has a weakness. That opposition player is their leading goal scorer and talisman. It’s second versus third.

Of course you are going to try and use any advantage.
Yeah, no, hard disagree. The game being professional doesn't give you the right to hurt someone for your own advantage. If you can't win on footballing merit and ability then you're not good enough.

Huddo

If a player goes on to a field with a pre-existing condition he's open game, happens in every other sport, it may not be percieved as sportsmanlike, but sportsmanship has no place in professional sport, never has.

If anything Cummings should probably take it as a mark of respect that a defender has singled him out without him even entering the field.

Will say I heard there was shit after the final whistle, I'm not ok with that, game over, let it go.

marinermick

Yeah, no, hard disagree. The game being professional doesn't give you the right to hurt someone for your own advantage. If you can't win on footballing merit and ability then you're not good enough.

People win everyday who aren’t good enough in professional sport. People hurt others everyday in professional sport to get an advantage. It may mot be right but it is reality.

Hello Sailor

If you can't win on footballing merit and ability then you're not good enough.
True, but I question why Cummings was on the bench if he was injured. Was it a risk to his health to play, even with painkillers [is that legal or doping???] as well as a risk to the immediate or longer term teams' success? Wouldn't a fully fit but less talented attacker be an equal to, or better selection than a 75% fit Cummings? I thought we had better depth in the front third than to risk this.

pjennings

It was a grubby tactic - but one you would expect an opposition player to use. My concern was how did they know about the injury. We had not heard anything and some were speculating that JC night be sold. Yet they knew before the game. Did it come from our camp or did the All Access team give them a head up for bit of camera fodder?

Huddo

True, but I question why Cummings was on the bench if he was injured. Was it a risk to his health to play, even with painkillers [is that legal or doping???] as well as a risk to the immediate or longer term teams' success? Wouldn't a fully fit but less talented attacker be an equal to, or better selection than a 75% fit Cummings? I thought we had better depth in the front third than to risk this.

He's our most prolific scorer, and probably our most consistant striker since McBreen, even if you didn't play him you'd put him on the bench, just to force your opponents to be more reactionary.

Ozhammer

It was a grubby tactic - but one you would expect an opposition player to use. My concern was how did they know about the injury. We had not heard anything and some were speculating that JC night be sold. Yet they knew before the game. Did it come from our camp or did the All Access team give them a head up for bit of camera fodder?
JC apparently mentioned it to Ollie when they bumped into each other in Terrigal earlier in the week, so Ollie then seems to have dobbed Cumdog in to WSW. Let’s hope he and Marcello are nursing injuries when we nxt play them then…..

Huddo

Fine line between being competitive and being a dick when it comes to Sunday league and that kind of thing. Make things uncomfortable sure but if you're willing to injure someone on purpose playing over 35s or all age 6s or something then wow.

No one's talking about causing injuries, just exacerbating them. We're not Muscat trying to ruin careers, but if a player comes on and shows an injury, I'll look to exploit it at the benifits of me team.

Rising Sun

In fairness they were love taps from Marcelo, he wasn't throwing haymakers. The issue seemed to be how sensitive JC was even with the painkillers. If it was a rib cartledge injury then I know from experience how painful they can be.

Also take a while to heal so maybe he doesn't make it on the field this weekend now everyone knows about it - but I also know you can play through them and just grit your teeth after contact - given he is a Scotsman, he just needs to get a big bottle of Irn Bru into him

Big Al

In fairness they were love taps from Marcelo, he wasn't throwing haymakers. The issue seemed to be how sensitive JC was even with the painkillers. If it was a rib cartledge injury then I know from experience how painful they can be.

Also take a while to heal so maybe he doesn't make it on the field this weekend now everyone knows about it - but I also know you can play through them and just grit your teeth after contact - given he is a Scotsman, he just needs to get a big bottle of Irn Bru into him
Exactly. I saw him give a two handed push in the back as soon as Cummings came on and ball was near him. Wasn’t a nasty challenge. If Cummings couldn’t handle that he should’ve of been playing.

Big Al

JC apparently mentioned it to Ollie when they bumped into each other in Terrigal earlier in the week, so Ollie then seems to have dobbed Cumdog in to WSW. Let’s hope he and Marcello are nursing injuries when we nxt play them then…..
Vuka mentioned injury post game on the tv after the Nix. This would have pricked some ears that would have led to a hunt for injury/weakness

turbo

No one's talking about causing injuries, just exacerbating them. We're not Muscat trying to ruin careers, but if a player comes on and shows an injury, I'll look to exploit it at the benifits of me team.
At an amateur level trying to exacerbate an injury is still a bit of a dick move but the whole thing is a grey area and people draw lines in different places - sore ribs for example I’m going to mark you tightly at set pieces like I normally would, still play a physical game but I’m not going to look for any chance I can get to shoulder barge your bad side. If someone doesn’t like going up for headers or a keeper isn’t diving then yeah you’re going to exploit that. If a bloke has his knee strapped are you going to slide in on it to see how he reacts? That last one isn’t for me, if contact happens naturally it happens but I’m not looking for it. Others may disagree. Ultimately at that level we’re there to play a game not deliberately take actions that hurt someone or stop them from working.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb