• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Lawrie at Sheffield Utd

Arabmariner

I thought you people might find this article from the UK paper "The Star" interesting.

www.thestar.co.uk/football/Aussie-kids-must-be-mental.4005239.jp

marinermick

Arabmariner said:
I thought you people might find this article from the UK paper "The Star" interesting.

www.thestar.co.uk/football/Aussie-kids-must-be-mental.4005239.jp

don't think fergie will have problems yelling at juniors

midfielder

Interesting what he says about having to have the mental strength to make it and that the AIS may not prepare players for the cut throat day to day prove yourself needed in European leagues.

eca03adb

RADINHO said:
i didn't get it

Thats from our local paper in Sheffield...The Star

Its mainly just local news for Sheffield and neighbouring towns (Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley and Chesterfield), so the sport just concentrates on our clubs really.

Read the article myself.  I think the jist of it is talking about with you guys about to set up your youth development scheme over there, i think your staff were coming over to Sheffield to take a look at our Academy, which has been quite well thought of over here (barring a few sceptical supporters who think its a waste of money even though its self-funding!!?) and our youth set up is quite admired nationally, so is the obvious benchmark for any set-up for CCM.

I assume the star took the opportunity to discuss the link up with your staff, and how you might learn from the Blades academy, and talk about what type of players we might see coming over in the next few years - some people might have assumed they might all be the more technical but less physical and athletic players like Carney - whereas it seems your coach is suggesting the opposite (which is probably a good thing as the game gets more and more athletic epcially in the championship!).

Interesting and food for thought atleast!

UP THE BLADES & THE MARINERS!!

marinersman

It seems strange to me Lawrie would make the coment about Australian players and their mental capabilities.

Venables, Hiddink, Baan and Pim have all commented on the mental strength of our players. I remember Arnie even saying that Guus told him that Holland would have lost to Japan in Germany if it was them playing.

eca03adb

marinersman said:
It seems strange to me Lawrie would make the coment about Australian players and their mental capabilities.

Venables, Hiddink, Baan and Pim have all commented on the mental strength of our players. I remember Arnie even saying that Guus told him that Holland would have lost to Japan in Germany if it was them playing.

I think he's talking more about the younger players to be honest.  Those who haven't experienced the youth system we have hear in the UK - of centres of excellence and academies (although some may argue that to be a good thing but thats another issue!) - who may come across here and not be used to the 'in your face' attitude that some academies take with young lads over here - i think its the 16-19 yr olds he's referring to mostly as opposed to Australian players generally.

Personally i think the introduction of both United and Mariner players to each others footballing culture can only be beneficial and may bring the players on as individuals themselves and as skilled professional footballers!  It may toughen up any players who may have confidence issues and allow others to broaden there technical skills by playing in a different country's sporting culture!!

UP THE BLADES (& MARINERS!)

Arabmariner

marinersman said:

Yes but those guys are dealing mainly with the seasoned profesionals who did make it overseas.There are plenty who head over there and are almost never heard of again until they come back here.I think thats what Lawrie was referring to.......i think! :-\

swarey

bikinigirl said:
. the article says lawrie was a fullback, i thought he was a striker? (a bit off topic)

From Wikipedia....

Born in Kilmarnock in southwest Scotland, McKinna began his career as a striker with local junior side Darvel and made his debut for Scottish Premier League side Kilmarnock in 1982. He made 87 league appearances for Kilmarnock, scoring 17 times before moving to Australia in 1986 where he went on to play for several more clubs in the NSL and various state leagues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred