• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

John Aloisi....... not a target man

serious14

Mick, note that those goals (well, one of them was from the spot) were scored from either crosses  or when John was deployed as an out and out striker.......... THAT system I am not criticising.  What I am questioning is the use of him with his back to goal 90% of the time.  Surely another player (in this case, Simon or Sasho) is better deployed in that role - I'm sure John would be sick of having 2 defenders permanently attached to his back as well (quite literally in some cases).

skilbeck

John due to his profile is gonna have 2 defenders attached to his back man-marking him anyway so regardless of how you deploy him you are not gonna solve that problem. I reckon it would work either firing crosses at him in the box or playing through balls through the centre but his lack of pace these days could hurt there

S

striker

Last year we had Mori playing in the same position.... he had no problem shaking off the marking players.....as Greenpoleffc above said: we have to change our  play to 4:3: 3 or even 3:4:3 so the  cental striker  is supported by  2 quick forwards trying to feed off him.

S

soccersensei

Bearinator said:
Simon - long balls all day, milks free kicks well as he is so lanky

Aloisi and Sash - run off those long balls

Id start all 3 next game. Need to win, second chance if we dont, f**k it, throw caution to the wind

Got my vote.

Deej

soccersensei said:
Bearinator said:

Id start all 3 next game. Need to win, second chance if we dont, f**k it, throw caution to the wind

Got my vote.

Lawrie won't start 3 up front next game, he'll have at least 45 mins of his usual formation and tactics......we might need to score but it's just as important that we don't conceed early.

marinermick

DJ said:
soccersensei said:
Bearinator said:

Got my vote.

Lawrie won't start 3 up front next game, he'll have at least 45 mins of his usual formation and tactics......we might need to score but it's just as important that we don't conceed early.

an early goal and they may well wilt under the pressure

2-0 is not that bad but we HAVE to score first

mustapha_beer

It's pretty clear that Lawrie won't start with 3 up front except in the most extreme of circumstances (the 2nd leg at Gosford could well fit into that category). It's also clear that Aloisi & Petrovski is his preferred starting combination. Given those 2 facts, it's clear that Aloisi is going to be doing the "Target Man" duties, as Petrovski struggles to hold onto the ball when he's being pressured by defenders. He's a poacher, not a target man.

If Aloisi & Simon started the game instead, things could change.......

Also, comparisons with Newcastle & Joel Griffiths are a bit pointless....they have speed up front that none of our forwards can match.

skilbeck

Yeah I agree that the mariners biggest weakness is their lack of pace in pretty much all positions not including Tommy and Heff and Kwas on a good day. I think next year we should invest in a quick forward especially if we dont re-sign Mrdja. I wonder how much of a transfer fee we would have to pay Perth to get Rukavystya

Bear

skilbeck said:
I wonder how much of a transfer fee we would have to pay Perth to get Rukavystya

Teams in the A-League are not allowed to buy players off other A-League teams. Players have to be off contract, or in the case of Owens, the player can ask to be released from his current contract so he can sign for someone else

I say let Sash be the target, let Johnny run off him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred