• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Ian Craig What a Man

bulldogmariner

IT was a day Ian Craig will never forget and everyone at Gosford yesterday had a sense of occasion - except Racing NSW stewards.

When leading jockey Hugh Bowman gave Craig the ultimate send-off - doffing his cap on the winning horse in the broadcaster's final race - the big crowd cheered and turned in recognition to the caller.

Bowman had kicked clear on Verrekeen and, 50m before the post, tipped his cap to Craig, the voice of Sydney racing who was about to turn off the microphone for the last time.

But stewards refused to see Bowman's actions for what they were and, after demanding an explanation, they fined the hoop $300.

"I was tipping my hat to salute Ian Craig in his final race call," Bowman pleaded. "But do you acknowledge it's a contravention of the rules," asked acting chief steward Marc Van Gestel.

"I guess so," Bowman answered. "I found myself 200m in front and it was a memorable moment and I thought I'd do it."

Van Gestel was unmoved, saying, "There was no reason you couldn't have done it after the post."

But Bowman countered as only a media-savvy jockey could: "I would have been out of frame (for the cameras)."

Nevertheless, the $300 fine stuck.

As news of the stewards' actions spread, Sky Sports Radio's Greg Radley vowed to ask listeners of his Raceday program this morning to donate money toward Bowman's fine.

"Any additional money we raise will be donated to charity," Radley said.

Bowman said later Craig was a legend of the sport who would be sorely missed. "It was really humbling to ride the winner in the final race he will call," he said.

Bowman's nice words wrapped up a brilliant day at the provincial track for Craig, who ended an outstanding 48-year career at the place where he first started calling.

Former racecallers turned up to honour Craig, including John Tapp, as did former Test cricketer Neil Harvey.

At the official function, one of Craig's calls of a race at Gosford, won by Bemboka Star for a heavily pregnant trainer Angela Davies, was beamed on the big screen.

"Angela isn't due to give birth until Sunday, but somebody might want to get a midwife in the enclosure," Craig was heard saying, after Davies' horse held on in a nail-biter.

Craig awoke at 4am yesterday and realised his swan song was only hours away. He was greeted by five camera crews upon arrival at the track.

He rattled off so many funny stories, the most memorable involving Channel 9 commentator Ray Warren.

"On one occasion here at Gosford, Ray was in the bookies' ring when somebody said, 'Ray, they're about to jump'. Ray flew up to the box when the field had just jumped. He then tapped the microphone and said, 'Testing, 1-2-3'."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred