• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Holiday in Gosford

JoyfulPenguin

Hello everyone,

I'll be coming up from the 14th to the 24th of January to catch my first ever Mariners home games and an F3 Derby! Any recommendations on things to do, see or eat or absolutely anything else would be truly appreciated. Would love to meet any and all contributors to this wonderful Forum as reading everything everyone has to say has kept me sane thorough study and work.

Wombat

Im going to bed now JP coz just flew in from Bali but will give you the low down over the weekend.
Great to have you on the Coast bro.

Ozhammer

JP, you should check out Gosford Classic Car museum while you are on the Coast (sorry IN the Coast), as it is pretty impressive if you like your motors.

The Entrance is a pleasant spot too, as is Norah Head, where you can tour the old lighthouse. Terrigal is a lovely beachside suburb, with lots of eateries and bars but it is busy during the holiday season.

HTH and happy to meet up when you are here.

Ozhammer

Woollybutt

Are you into outdoorsy stuff? Bouddi National Park was always my favourite place on the Coast. Some really great walks around there, especially at the Killcare end. Avoca and Patonga are good alternatives to Terrigal if you want to mix it up, though all the beach suburbs are crowded and expensive at that time of year. I'll second Norah Head too. It's a great spot, and you can even see where Ryan and Ibini used to live. If I was still on the Coast I'd have offered you a runout at Soccer 5s (the best week night entertainment around), but maybe someone else can fix you up if you're keen on an authentic Coast football experience (plus you can see the CoE).

JoyfulPenguin

Thanks Syd, Oz and Woolly! Will definitely check out the motor museum. I'll be sure to check out everything you mentioned. Meeting up would be awesome! I love the outdoors and have a passion for native fauna and flora, as does my missus who is a apprentice zoo keeper. Would be very cool to see the area Ryan and Ibini's caravan was in. Soccer 5s sounds very good and I'll have to work out some way to organize that. Seeing the COE would be exciting do would be pumped to do that!

Wombat

JP
You and your Missis have to check out the Reptile Park at Somersby (near Kariong) and Walkabout Park at Mt White. She will appreciate both as a zoo keeper.
I can lend you a car for a day for nowt as long as you have a valid licence, so you can get there easily. Also same day you should take in the Somersby Waterfalls, within a couple of ks of the Reptile Park.
Are you going to stay at Gosford or West gosford or one of the beach suburbs?
I'll hook you both up with a couples massage at East gosford with a big discount (or Wyong if you stay at The Entrance or Norah Head) East Gosso is a small suburb but has some fantastic eateries and really nice boutique shops. Nearby Erina Fair is the largest single story Shopping Centre in Australia.
Let me know where you plan to stay and i'll give my opinion of where you should eat.
The Coast covers a very large area and not all of it is covered by rail.

JoyfulPenguin

JP
You and your Missis have to check out the Reptile Park at Somersby (near Kariong) and Walkabout Park at Mt White. She will appreciate both as a zoo keeper.
I can lend you a car for a day for nowt as long as you have a valid licence, so you can get there easily. Also same day you should take in the Somersby Waterfalls, within a couple of ks of the Reptile Park.
Are you going to stay at Gosford or West gosford or one of the beach suburbs?
I'll hook you both up with a couples massage at East gosford with a big discount (or Wyong if you stay at The Entrance or Norah Head) East Gosso is a small suburb but has some fantastic eateries and really nice boutique shops. Nearby Erina Fair is the largest single story Shopping Centre in Australia.
Let me know where you plan to stay and i'll give my opinion of where you should eat.
The Coast covers a very large area and not all of it is covered by rail.
Will definitely check out the Reptile Park! A lend of a car would be truly appreciated, have a valid license so no problems there. The Somersby Waterfalls sound interesting. Haven't fully booked accommodation but probably in Gosford, our last few holidays have been extremely beach orientated so a change would probably be good. Much appreciated on the discount for massages mate! Was already planning on heading in for a few. Anyone who so voraciously supports the Mariners is more than deserving of business. Cheers for the heads up on the rail situation, we are very lucky down here in Victoria with trains so I didn't think about that. Hope your trip to Bali was good.

Big Al

JP it’s a big area that is probably best cut into 3 parts however getting around is really a car only place. Buses exist but would waste a terrible amount of time. A car for the majority of the time is a must imo. Especially the amount of time you here. You could survive if you just wanted to stay at the beach the whole time and one beach at that.

My idea would be to split into 3 parts.
Part 1 the south. Ettalong/umina woy woy patonga for a day trip. Depending on cash there is the mantra at ettalong for hotel near the beach.

The middle terrigal if you stay at the crowne plaza (expensive) the opposition usually always stay there if you time it with a game. avoca killcare Gosford reptile park car museum bunnings (for a sausage sandwich). Some Thai massage place that gets talked about on here :p

The north stay at the entrance the oaks is pretty cheap for a so called hotel but is right on the water at the entrance and is a busy place that time of year. There is a caravan park on the otherside to. This is good for COE norah head the entrance itself.

Also consider the hunter for the wineries if you drink wine. It’s an hour away and a great day trip. Also has a small zoo as well. While technically Jets territory who won’t get the clap:overheadl:and Newcastle is also an hour away and has a nice harbour and beach (don’t tell anyone i said that).

The central coast is an outdoors place. Beaches and walkes galore.

Also Sydney is a train ride away if you haven’t done that. Another must do if you haven’t done.

Good luck and depending on what’s going on at time I’d like to catch up on one ov those days but a drink pregame I will guarantee that.

Also if you love RSL’s the coast us the place for you:D

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

Sounds like renting a car might be the best idea. Thanks for the info Big Al! Would be great to meet you Big Al. I have done Sydney previously but my missus has never been, so we will definitely go a few day trips. Planning on going to Newcastle for the derby so might factor some activities around there.

Wombat

Newcastle is a bit of a toilet BUT the Harbour and Beach is nice. Better still go to Nelson Bay for the day, which is beautiful and you can do some Dolphin watching.
West Gosso has The Galaxy Motel which is attached to a very nice RSL.This is the best motel. I know one of the cleaners and will see if she can get you a discount.
Gosford Palms and Gosford Motor Inn are both decent enough.
Ibis is ok and cheaper.
Hopefully the races might be on when you are here as that is a good day out.

Wombat

Ettalong and Umina Beach....very nice beaches close to Gosford.
Mantra at Ettalong is very nice accomodation.
Terrigal and Avoca are famous and beautiful beachside suburbs.
Heading North you come to the Wyong Shire.
Large Westfield SC at Tuggerah about 1km from the COE.
The COE is worth looking at and you can watch the players training up close.
There is a bar there that serves beautiful beer and pizza.
Soccer 5s is attached and is a fantastic complex of 5 aside pitches....maybe the best in Australia......tbc.....I'm off to the entrance now.

Big Al

If you flying up Newcastle airport is also an option as probably a little closer time wise and less traffic but probably less flights.

Or fly to Sydney and stay there a day or two and take the mrs to the taronga zoo. Good zoo that has awesome views over Sydney as well. Catch the ferry if it’s a good day

JoyfulPenguin

Thanks for the heads up on the accommodation situation Wombat. Any discount would be much appreciated! Going to Nelson Bay sounds great. We will probably fly up to Sydney initially then go by train or car to the Central Coast. Depending on dates we will stay a couple of days there, then head up. Thanks so much for the invaluable information guys!

Holy

Depending on what you like to eat, there are plenty of good restaurants and cafes.

Here are a couple of my favourites:
Sapa - its a modern Vietnamese restaurant at Terrigal. It's probably my favourite on the coast and highly recommend it. It pretty popular, so you will need to book.

Umiya Japanese Fusion Restaurant at Umina. It only a small restaurant, but the food is excellent. For Friday and Saturday nights you'll need to book, but the other nights you can pretty much get a walk up start.

Allmalay - Malaysian restaurant at Avoca. Again a small restaurant but worth it if you like Malaysian food. You need to book here as well.

If you like Indian, try Spices 20 Indian Restaurant at Woy Woy. It only a new restaurant on the coast, but it probably the best Indian food I've had anywhere.

My go to for coffee is little place called Like Minds at Avoca. Best coffee on the coast.

If you end up staying at Gosford, and you and missus like bike riding, I can hook up with a couple of beach cruiser bikes to go for a ride around on. Just let me know

Wombat

The Grand Pavillion at Ettalong IS the best Indian on the Coast but its expensive.

If you get the chance to take up Holy's kind offer.....a bike ride from Gosford to Woy Woy is sensational.

Flying into Newcastle is only good if you have lined up a Hire car as its as close to Nelson bay as it is to Newcastle.......i.e its in the middle of nowhere.
It is, as Big Al says, heaps easier for parking and traffic.

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

Depending on what you like to eat, there are plenty of good restaurants and cafes.

Here are a couple of my favourites:
Sapa - its a modern Vietnamese restaurant at Terrigal. It's probably my favourite on the coast and highly recommend it. It pretty popular, so you will need to book.

Umiya Japanese Fusion Restaurant at Umina. It only a small restaurant, but the food is excellent. For Friday and Saturday nights you'll need to book, but the other nights you can pretty much get a walk up start.

Allmalay - Malaysian restaurant at Avoca. Again a small restaurant but worth it if you like Malaysian food. You need to book here as well.

If you like Indian, try Spices 20 Indian Restaurant at Woy Woy. It only a new restaurant on the coast, but it probably the best Indian food I've had anywhere.

My go to for coffee is little place called Like Minds at Avoca. Best coffee on the coast.

If you end up staying at Gosford, and you and missus like bike riding, I can hook up with a couple of beach cruiser bikes to go for a ride around on. Just let me know
Cheers for the food tips Holy! Will be sure to check 'em all out. Thanks for the warning about booking.Enjoy bike riding so will definitely hit you for the beach cruiser bikes, thanks so much for the offer. The Gosford to Woy Woy bike ride sounds interesting Wombat, cheers for the suggestion. The Grand Pavilion sounds like another place to check, thank so much once again for the suggestions!

MagpieMariner

If you have a go on the bike ride Gosford to Woy Woy, call in to the Continental Bakery in Woy Woy - it's in Blackwall Road, just opposite the library, about 100 metres down from the station. Nothing fancy, not even a bakery any more but Checka does the best coffee in Woy Woy.

marinermick

If you have a go on the bike ride Gosford to Woy Woy, call in to the Continental Bakery in Woy Woy - it's in Blackwall Road, just opposite the library, about 100 metres down from the station. Nothing fancy, not even a bakery any more but Checka does the best coffee in Woy Woy.

Debatable now Costa Centrale has opened. Fantastic new Italian cafe.

Wombat

My cleaner contact at the Galaxy was a dud but I spoke to an ex work mate who told me he can get you some free nights due to being a whale at the RSL.
He looks well loaded these days (he told me to leave Sydney and move to the Coast more than 20years ago and has obviously done well) and wanted to buy one of my shops so lets see if he can hook you up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami