• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Heart V Mariners

marinermick

I heard this “not being able to train properly” comment a few times now and I am confused.

It didn’t start raining heavily until Friday and Sunday was a travel day,

We also have a number of synthetic pitches all within an hour’s drive of Gosford. I am sure something could have been arranged

FFC Mariner

I heard this “not being able to train properly” comment a few times now and I am confused.

We also have a number of synthetic pitches all within an hour’s drive of Gosford. I am sure something could have been arranged
All those photos of us training in the wet must have been photoshopped I guess ??
Still. At least he got a decent defender on at RB eventually

FFC Mariner

Our issue is we were comprehensively outplayed by a better side.
In games like this, we need to be 100% and they need to have an off day.
I thought the lack of pace from Simon/Urena was exploited. They could afford to really press high knowing that balls over the top couldn't be exploited
I thought Balard had an OK debut away to a very good side.
Hall showed the energy and drive we have been missing at RB
Go again

Insertnamehere

Absolutely feel the same way about the last few performances. We got lucky last week and got absolutely shown up this week.

The level we have been playing at is dropping off. Whether that's other teams fitness and combinations catching up or them working us out tactically I dunno.

So I’m gonna come clean and say something that has been on my mind since the Perth away game in that the boys have started to feel the pressure of being top, with the pack chasing them down.

Tonight we came up against a team that is so full of confidence that we needed to be at our very best to go toe to toe with them, when in truth our performance levels have been slowly dropping for the past 4-5 weeks.

Tonight we couldn’t deal with the pressure, our meaningful movement off the ball was almost non-existent (it did improve a little after Bouman came on) and our intensity was nowhere near the level that it needed to be.

Too many players had poor games against a side where they all needed standout performances. Nigro showed tonight how average he is as a defender and how little he brings in an attacking sense. Clisby reverted to his level of last season and Tongyik had his least effective game for us so far this campaign.

As for our visa players, Urena isn’t the sort of player who can adapt to trench warfare and I’m sorry but nothing I have seen from Janota thus far makes me think he will be bossing games any time soon.

Yes last Sunday’s game was probably still in the boys’ legs and their preparation for tonight’s game must have been badly disrupted by the atrocious weather but despite all that the team simply didn’t show enough ticker tonight and they allowed $ity to pull them out of their shape, meaning wasted energy playing reactive football.

Having said all that, Kye and Birraz were immense, whilst DDS worked his socks off trying to make things happen in the front third, so they can all hold there heads up tonight. Ollie had a poor game and when the boys see their inspirational Captain struggling, that must have an impact.

Insertnamehere

Wasn't happy with the team selection last night. But overall the level of play was very poor regardless. We only got into the game when they backed off the press and let us play.

I'm also concerned with Alou. His effort has become very lethargic. He doesnt look hungry for the ball and when he gets it doesn't look like he wants to score.

Ironbark

I think we surprised everyone this season with our fitness, intensity and team support.

As the season has progressed other teams are becoming more match fit and have seen what we do to plan a counter.

The last 3-4 games our intensity has dropped, we aren't first to every ball, we're starting to turnover way more balls than before and combined with the improvement in other teams we won't win everything from here. Coincides with Stens out - not saying he is that big of an influence but it absolutely changed our team dynamic not having him out muscle in the mids. Ollie has more work to do and so can play less attacking strings.

This said, I believe someone mentioned we only play perth and $ity twice this season - if so then they're done - and we have games against victory, brisvegas etc to catch up which are all opportunities for more points.

I suspect that unless we switch right back on to playing out of our skins we won't win the premiership this season ($ity have to be favourites there on that performance) but top 4 is likely. Which after the recent half decade is absolutely awesome.
Being top of the ladder for at least half a season also repairs our reputation and is solid redemption.

Insertnamehere

I think we surprised everyone this season with our fitness, intensity and team support.

As the season has progressed other teams are becoming more match fit and have seen what we do to plan a counter.

The last 3-4 games our intensity has dropped, we aren't first to every ball, we're starting to turnover way more balls than before and combined with the improvement in other teams we won't win everything from here. Coincides with Stens out - not saying he is that big of an influence but it absolutely changed our team dynamic not having him out muscle in the mids. Ollie has more work to do and so can play less attacking strings.

This said, I believe someone mentioned we only play perth and $ity twice this season - if so then they're done - and we have games against victory, brisvegas etc to catch up which are all opportunities for more points.

I suspect that unless we switch right back on to playing out of our skins we won't win the premiership this season ($ity have to be favourites there on that performance) but top 4 is likely. Which after the recent half decade is absolutely awesome.
Being top of the ladder for at least half a season also repairs our reputation and is solid redemption.
I think Stems being out is absolutely becoming an issue with our midfield.

Huddo

So I Think I've finally calmed down, but this is is a different feeling to the other games, a little more frustration a little less blind hatred of an official (but that's in there too).
In retrospect I'm probably just a little shitty, because it seems we did not prepare for this game at all.
Players out of position, a poor game plan, no perceived plan B, Blooding players in a key match.
I guess we can take positives out of the game rowles and Birra had a blinder, except for the first Goal tongyik looked good too, hall got good game time, janota made an impact as did Nisbet back in the middle of the park, kuol although struggled still was able to impact the game, and DDS came in to the game when we started taking the centre if the pitch.
Theres thing we can take from the game, but we have to learn from the mistakes.

Last edited:

Insertnamehere

My concern is that we've been trending towards this performance. It just took Citehs super high press to squeeze it out. Now theres a formula for other teams.

So I Think I've finally calmed down, but this is is a different feeling to the other games, a little more frustration a little less blind hatred of an official (but that's in there too).
In retrospect I'm probably just a little shitty, because it seems we did not prepare for this game at all.
Players out of position, a poor game plan, no perceived plan B, Blooding players in a key match.
I guess we can take positives out of the game rowles and Birra had a blinder, except for the first Goal tongyik looked good too, hall got good game time, janota made an impact as did Nisbet back in the middle of the park, and kuol although struggled still was able to impact the game, DDS came in to the game when we started taking the centre if the pitch.
There thing we can take from the game, but we have to learn from the mistakes.

Forum Phoenix

Absolutely feel the same way about the last few performances. We got lucky last week and got absolutely shown up this week.

The level we have been playing at is dropping off. Whether that's other teams fitness and combinations catching up or them working us out tactically I dunno.

Last nights poor touches etc were just an off game. But we’ve clearly changed something in our approach or mindset as the intensity has significantly lessened. and we haven’t dominated a game since it has.

I just hope Staj can correct it. We were playing like a team — where every game was in the trenches fighting for each other.

The only working us out I think kisnorbo did was to close down Olly and overload us down the flanks. But we gave away way too much ball and they’re too good to let them find as much time and space as we did. As soon as we lost shape we were hammered. But even before that we lacked the intensity and quality under pressure to get any real kind of foothold in the game.

Bottom line, we do no have the quality to rely on individual brilliance or letting others do the work. Every man has to put in a thousand percent. This imo is disappearing.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit

Im with you Mick , I buy that training statement like I buy flying to Perth wrecks supremely fit athletes

Rising Sun

Last nights poor touches etc were just an off game. But we’ve clearly changed something in our approach or mindset as the intensity has significantly lessened. and we haven’t dominated a game since it has.

I just hope Staj can correct it. We were playing like a team — where every game was in the trenches fighting for each other.

The only working us out I think kisnorbo did was to close down Olly and overload us down the flanks. But we gave away way too much ball and they’re too good to let them find as much time and space as we did. As soon as we lost shape we were hammered. But even before that we lacked the intensity and quality under pressure to get any real kind of foothold in the game.

Bottom line, we do no have the quality to rely on individual brilliance or letting others do the work. Every man has to put in a thousand percent. This imo is disappearing.
We had an intense pre-season training wise and then had a pretty intense schedule where we have been playing back-to-back games with a high work rate. I wonder if it has just taken a bit of a toll and we just need a bit of a freshen up ready for the run home.

The old Wayne Bennett trick of giving them a few days off might work but the schedule doesn't really allow it.

turbo

Now theres a formula for other teams
But can they actually do it will be the question? City can play that way with their attacking quality knowing they have the mids and back line to handle losing the ball playing aggressively. Can Brisbane or Adelaide do it as confidently? I dont think so and it will create space for us if they press.

I think we can bounce back from this one and work on those issues so we're in a better spot going in to the back end of the season. Big chance against Victory at home to rebuild confidence if we turn up and send a message. Shit weather should be behind us then too.

Michael

I also thought Balard did look a little nervous, but then grew into the half towards the end, slightly surprised he was dragged at half time.
Janota has to start out wide against victory, we need that added high quality on the ball. We have to make a statement that we won’t give up top spot. Victory are awful and we have to put them to the sword.

pinklady

I totally agree - however there were a number of synthetic fields that were unplayable and closed over the weekend. The Academy's NPL game against Spartans was moved to Blacktown Sports Park (synthetic) and then cancelled as were games at North Turramurra (Tigers) Lambert Park (APIA) and Seymour Shaw (Sutherland). Not sure if Speers Point would've been made available by NNSW for us and Lily Homes Stadium (Blacktown) and Christie Park (Spirit FC) were both being used.

There is however an indoor synthetic training facility on the coast that is used by the Academy in wet weather.

I just wonder if it was a case of Staj not wanting to use it or was there more to it than meets the eye.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami