• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Hard drive help

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Hiya,
got a 2 tb toshiba plug in HD that all of a sudden cant be detected by ANY usb port on the premises (tv, bluray, notebooks)...eg: last week it showed up as TOSHIBA :...today it shows up as disk f and cant be opened
it is making a crook spinning noise....any help as to how i can get the data off it...its got a shitload of tv, music and movies on it

Wombat

YOU want me to send technical help?
Make sure they are cheap for you....under the....look after mate or else scheme!!

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Well, there are a number of possible things to try, but a recovery attempt could take hours if not days (and often you want another drive to copy onto). There's a few possible options which may be faster, using other software to fix the partition table if that's the problem. You might have more luck asking on a more tech-oriented forum like whirlpool.
Given it's just media, you may find it's more time effective to simply download everything again if you have enough download limit.

What's the crook spinning noise? Repeated ticking?

It could also be the physical controller in the HDD enclosure, but you'd have to open it up and put the HDD into a PC or another enclosure....that's probably not overly likely though.

nearlyyellow

Bad luck ole son :( I'm with Capn Gus. Get a new one and do it all over. Maybe stretch to an SSD if your wallet can stand it?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Bad luck ole son :( I'm with Capn Gus. Get a new one and do it all over. Maybe stretch to an SSD if your wallet can stand it?
Pointless if it's a media storage drive or something else you don't need a lot of speed for. For an external drive you'd do better just upgrading to USB 3 (if your laptop has a USB 3 port or can take a card)

Manny_ccm

Pointless if it's a media storage drive or something else you don't need a lot of speed for. For an external drive you'd do better just upgrading to USB 3 (if your laptop has a USB 3 port or can take a card)
Disagree - for an external portable drive, an SSD is much more robust than your cheaper platter or hybrid driver with no mechanical or moving parts to fail from normal knocks and drops. I've seen the kids destroy quite a few regular and hybrid drives over the years but we haven't lost an SSD based drive yet.

nearlyyellow

Yeah, cost wise I agree, a USB drive is OK. But you must be prepared for that moment that Recky has had, a catastrophic mechanical failure. They do happen. I've had one on a USB drive. Shrug the shoulders and reassemble the data, that's all you can do in that case. Unless you can stretch to a probably more robust SSD device. And they are becoming more affordable. :-|

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

to be fair, buying a second external drive of equal capacity and backing it up manually is far more affordable than a SSD :p
It may also be something like a partition table/MBR corruption rather than a mechanical error - would I be correct in saying that an SSD is no less susceptible than a HDD?
From MSY, 240gb SSD starts at $85. 480gb starts at $161 while a 3TB external HDD is $149 and $118 for a 2tb one.
SSDs are a long, long, long way off being affordable for holding large amounts of data. $315 for the cheapest 960gb one
even a 2TB 2.5" external HDD is....wait, why is that the same price as a 3.5" odd.
Of course, the drives in all these entry level devices are...well, you get what you pay for. Speed isn't a big issue for media storage though, but decreased reliability is.
I've had my 2TB media HDD fail. Problem with data recovery is, not only can it take several days to do a (probably unsuccessful) sweep, but you need another drive to copy the data onto. For movies and tv shows? Simply not worth the effort. Precious photos or other important data? Well, there are professional who can recover it at a high cost.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami