• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

HAL expansion and local derbys

Atomic

Greeting All,
This is my first post, having been converted to the beautiful game with the inception of the HAL. This topic may have been done to death in the past, so excuse me if that is the case, but it seems to me that as far as expansion in the HAL is concerned, local derbys are the way to go. That would mean that the Galaxy are an absolute certainty (esp with their financial house in order), but as for the Townsville team... well, I'm not so sure (form a derby point of view).

I'd like to see a Western Sydney team or another Melbourne team join with the Galaxy. My personal preference is another Melbourne team. I think that local derby would ROCK! Another Syd team would be great for us... 3 teams providing derbys for us to watch but do you think that would make the competition to NSW centric?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

krusty

The local derbys are great it would be great to see a  another melbourne team it's always good kicking melbournes arse it would be great to have another arse to kick it would also be good for the game. GO YOU YELLOW!!!

Jimmy

Two melbourne teams would throw the A-league back to the NSL days. I'd hate to read some of the headlines after those derbies.
It was bad enough when victory played knights earlier this year.

marinersman

My brother's a Roar supporter (he lives up there) and he is dead against the Gold Coast team coming in. Roar have a huge number of fans travel up from the Gold Coast and Northern NSW.

He's worried about Roar losing thousands of supporters but I've been trying to educate him about a local derby and just how good it is.

I was born and raised in the Byron Bay area and I can tell you that the Lismore area is one of the true Football hotbeds in Australia. The participation base and popularity of the game there is incredible. It is easily the number one sport. They've had Terry Greedy and Paul and Craig Foster come out of there. The crime is there is so much young talent that is never fulfilled due to inadequate coaching. If they had youth academies and coaches the equal of Newcastle, CC or Sydney, they would be one of the great football factories.

The reason I mention all of this is because they will go and support a Gold Coast team in their thousands. The Gold Coast is an easy one hour drive from Lismore and the Roar have ignored this area.

Gold Coat and Roar would be a great local derby to rival the F3 derby and the sooner GC are admitted the better. Also, to have three more rounds would be huge despite a bye.

Omni

I've got a mate who is a nominal FC supporter, waiting for Westies United, it'd definitely get a crowd, as long as it's called Western Sydney or something of that effect if they name it after the town (Parramatta or Penrith) it won't work.

They'd get a good crowd at Penrith, and Parramatta did alright for the FC V Persik game, bloody cold though (not that that would matter in the A-League).

Dr Nick

No wollongong team then??

I see the points made about a second melbourne team, but how about a second victorian team instead. geelong? is that far away enough? is anywhere else down there big enough?

then in future years - darwin, canberra, hobart/tassie, a nz south island team (for their own north/south rivalry

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred