• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Griffiths: I nearly quit the Jets

Marquee

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23216078-5006068,00.html

By David Davutovic

February 15, 2008 12:00am

THE A-League's top scorer Joel Griffiths has revealed that he almost quit the Newcastle Jets at the start of the season.

On the eve of Sunday's preliminary final clash against Queensland Roar, Griffiths admitted he was "hurt" after he was promised the captaincy by coach Gary van Egmond, only for it to be later handed to Jade North.

The striker, who has scored 13 goals this season, went AWOL just a fortnight from the opening game in August and even handed in a transfer request to the Jets.

"One thing that really hurt me was not being captain, it p..... me off a lot," said Griffiths, adding that there were personal issues at play.

"To be so close to Gary and not be given it when he did mention it to me, made me say, 'I don't want to play for this club'.

"I didn't go to training for a week, I didn't go to the photo session. I was asking for a transfer release.

"No one could get in contact with me. Then Adam (his brother) just said to me, 'stop being a d...head. I came all the way from Europe to play with you.'

"I thought I was mature enough to be the captain. But looking back, it's probably made me play better. I've taken more responsibility, even without having the armband.

"Now I couldn't care less - I probably wouldn't be a good captain anyway."

Griffiths now admits he acted like a "spoilt brat" and said the turning point came in the round seven game against the Central Coast when he flicked linesman Alex Glasgow in the groin at Bluetongue Stadium. The incident created worldwide headlines and he copped a spray from most of the people who mattered in his life.

"The turning point was the incident with the linesman," he said. "I was struggling to deal with these issues and it showed with the flick of the linesman.

"It was pretty embarrassing, but things happen for a reason and that pulled me in a little bit.

"A lot of people pulled my head in - my wife, my mum, the nan, friends, supporters, the CEO (John Tsatsimas).

"There was a lot said, I even went to see a doctor. I knew what I did was silly and I brought the game into disrepute and I regret it."

Griffiths said he had even set out to hurt people in the past. But having recently married his long-time partner, he is adamant he is a changed man and paid tribute to van Egmond's faith.

"I'm totally past it. When I go on the field, if it's a bad tackle, fair enough, and I try and get under the skin of defenders," he said.

"This season I haven't set out to hurt someone. In the past I probably have.

"Now I try and zone out a little bit more in games and just try and do the little things instead of getting caught up in the moment. I just try and get on with my football."

"If you don't have a manager that's 100 per cent behind you, I can't play for that manager. Dutchy (van Egmond) has been great, as well as the club. He always believed in me and that made me have confidence in doing well."

Griffiths, who is contracted to Newcastle for another season, said he still has ambitions to play overseas but is happy to remain with the Jets for the duration of his deal.

serious14

Translation:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a whinging little bitch.

"Griffiths said he had even set out to hurt people in the past."  Yeah, best player in the league, total class act.  Righto......  ::)

Marquee

Totally agree
Just proves that he is tosser
Having a cry over the captaincy.. seriously
I wouldn't give it to him in a million years, imagine if a captain sack wacked a linesman

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Since when did he 'flick' the AR?  I seem to remember a punch....

Ultimately it proves what I've always said about him: He's a vicious, thuggish, temper tantrum throwing little brat with no character or integrity. 

kepo

Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
Since when did he 'flick' the AR?  I seem to remember a punch....

Ultimately it proves what I've always said about him: He's a vicious, thuggish, temper tantrum throwing little brat with no character or integrity. 
that game, ccm vs jets. r5 i think.
Start of season anyway.
Top 10 funniest moments of the a-league.

Omni

James, as the man in your avatar said "Since we are not familiar with sarcasm I will be closing the register at this point"

Anyway, yea he's a sook, even admitting he brought the game into disrepute, FFA should have done something about it but they have no balls

~Floss~

Saw this and lol'd when i read it.

What what a whining little spoilt brat bitch.

The funniest quote comes after he describes having a tantrum over tha captaincy, going AWOL from training for a week and not answering his phone, then says in the next sentence: "I thought I was mature enough to be the captain...."

Well you were WRONG!

Omni

Milligan went AWOL from FC and he got a socceroos call up! THAT'S how you do it!

fedelta

yellowfidello said:
"I probably wouldn't be a good captain anyway."
Griffiths now admits he acted like a "spoilt brat"

Yes Joel, you would be a shit captain, yes Joel, you are a spoilt brat, yes Joel, you are a f*cking whinging dickhead.
He does anything to get in the papers and on the TV doesn't he?
Farkin' idiot :fireup:

Rowdy

yellowfidello said:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23216078-5006068,00.html

"This season I haven't set out to hurt someone. In the past I probably have.

Yeah, now he's moved on to 'feigning' people hurting him!

His blatant 'milking' of a free kick just outside the box 1 on 1 w/ Danny in the second leg of the semi is the flip-side of him 'turning over a new leaf'

"Griffiths: Tiatto's Prison Bitch"

Omni

In other news, the Newcastle Herald reports that Joel Griffiths broke wind today, it is yet to be seen how this will effect his performance on Sunday, "It wasn't me" said Joel "It was Adam, it was disgusting I can't breathe" before he 'passed out'.

kepo

Omni said:
James, as the man in your avatar said "Since we are not familiar with sarcasm I will be closing the register at this point"
and my avatar is the greatest anti tard banner in the history of the world  ;D

fedelta

Omni said:
In other news, the Newcastle Herald reports that Joel Griffiths broke wind today, it is yet to be seen how this will effect his performance on Sunday, "It wasn't me" said Joel "It was Adam, it was disgusting I can't breathe" before he 'passed out'.

Hahahaha. That was probably front page news and the most popular thread on the Squadron site.

kepo

Taylor said:
Omni said:

Hahahaha. That was probably front page news and the most popular thread on the Squadron site.
:vhappy: :postcount: :goodpost:

skilbeck

I think it goes to show that I think Paris Griffiths is a suitable nickname for him. Goes to show what a spoilt, stuck-up little bitch he is

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred