• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Gotta Love what Frank is doing

Paolo

Perm said:
keensy said:
brett said:
keensy said:
Well there you, the election period is so boring it seems like 4 years :p

Still my point still stands, both news stories a long way off, this article shows desperation for a story

I for one like the odd perspective piece. It's good to look at the bigger picture as we go along rather than hear another story about how Merrick is going to go all-out attack in the next ACL game. Don't be such a cynical little bitch :p
HA, in more breaking news, next year there will be a final series and a grand final....the venue has yet to be decided and it is not known which teams will participate. Stand by for more info ;D
source?
fourfourtwo rumourmill...it was a posted by a guy whos friends sisters cleaners cousin worked at the FFA as a security guard

It got a 8-10....so it must be true

Bex

In in more breaking news, Cristiano Ronaldo will not sign a deal to become Central Coast Mariners' marquee player for the Hyundai A-League 2008/9 season.

skilbeck

Bex said:
In in more breaking news, Cristiano Ronaldo will not sign a deal to become Central Coast Mariners' marquee player for the Hyundai A-League 2008/9 season.

damm you got my hopes up :p

Bex

Careful Adz, if you keep talking like that it will be on fourfour2 before you know it.

I just find it funny that so many articles say that something isn't going to happen, especially when nobody thought it was going to happen in the first place.

I mean, if Ronaldo were standing in front of me now, I could ask him "Have you had discussions with the Mariners about signing a deal to play for them this year?" and of course he would say "no". Then, I would be entirely truthful in publishing an article entitled "Ronaldo denies talks on signing for Mariners in 2008". Yet, there was absolutely no story there to begin with. I see a lot of articles in the general media that could fit this type of scenario.

dibo

in further news:

Fox determined to hog the ball despite Nine's millions

Matthew Hall
April 20, 2008
Advertisement

Claims Aussie football's next TV deal may top $100 million a year are not far-fetched. That figure may even be undervalued when you consider Channel Nine has again been rebuffed in a bid to broadcast A-League matches. Nine had been trying to nail a deal with Fox Sports, the rights holder, that would allow the free-to-air network to show an A-League game live each week next season - but the pay-TV operator has refused to budge, even though Nine is willing to flash cash. Football Federation Australia is caught in midfield, watching the ball sail over its head, waiting for 2013, when the current deal is up.

um - what's the bet fox was pretty pissed off that the expansion didn't happen this year? if it had happened, they'd have the same level of content available to them while being able to on-sell the extra game.

midfielder

dibo said:
in further news:

Fox determined to hog the ball despite Nine's millions

Matthew Hall
April 20, 2008
Advertisement

Claims Aussie football's next TV deal may top $100 million a year are not far-fetched. That figure may even be undervalued when you consider Channel Nine has again been rebuffed in a bid to broadcast A-League matches. Nine had been trying to nail a deal with Fox Sports, the rights holder, that would allow the free-to-air network to show an A-League game live each week next season - but the pay-TV operator has refused to budge, even though Nine is willing to flash cash. Football Federation Australia is caught in midfield, watching the ball sail over its head, waiting for 2013, when the current deal is up.

um - what's the bet fox was pretty pissed off that the expansion didn't happen this year? if it had happened, they'd have the same level of content available to them while being able to on-sell the extra game.

Very very interesting post, ......... and reinforces a post I made about 3 month back .... that  a guy from Telstra sport told me nine wanted the Socceroos WCQ on a one hour delay, which I said was either total BS or the guy was serious.

Hope more comes of this ...... JW words may come true ........ I told you so

Jesus

Jesus
Do we want 9 holding the rights? Will they give the game an adequate showing? They would no doubt want to pick and choose their games around cricket in summer. As well as league in winter.

midfielder

Jesus said:
Do we want 9 holding the rights? Will they give the game an adequate showing? They would no doubt want to pick and choose their games around cricket in summer. As well as league in winter.

Jesus

It is only one game and thus would have a regular time slot on a major FTA network .......... meaning maybe some decent A-League news coverage ............. Would you want SBS to have it after all their anti A-league stuff.

Maybe when 10 teams in Hal 5, FFA can give one to FTA ........... problem no one has any idea what is in the Foxs / FFA contract contains with new teams coming in.

Jesus

Jesus
midfielder said:
Jesus said:

Jesus

It is only one game and thus would have a regular time slot on a major FTA network .......... meaning maybe some decent A-League news coverage ............. Would you want SBS to have it after all their anti A-league stuff.

Maybe when 10 teams in Hal 5, FFA can give one to FTA ........... problem no one has any idea what is in the Foxs / FFA contract contains with new teams coming in.

I would like to see it go to one of the comercial networks. If 9 are willing to put it on at a good time and pay the cash fair enough. The roos game on delay i would like alot.

But What happens when the a-league overlaps with NRL? When will they show the a-league games? I doubt 9 would shift friday night rugby league or even sunday.

Fox hopefully, with the extra game, will allow one to be put free to air. The roos matches on delay would be sweet.

midfielder

Jesus said:
midfielder said:
Jesus said:

Jesus

I would like to see it go to one of the comercial networks. If 9 are willing to put it on at a good time and pay the cash fair enough. The roos game on delay i would like alot.

But What happens when the a-league overlaps with NRL? When will they show the a-league games? I doubt 9 would shift friday night rugby league or even sunday.

Fox hopefully, with the extra game, will allow one to be put free to air. The roos matches on delay would be sweet.

I would just like it to start I am sure nine would try to make it work ........ or at least I hope so ........... not another seven who played the NSL at three in the morning and bragged how they buired soccer for the AFL.

Arabmariner

Jesus said:
And could we stand them treating the game with contempt once they do have the rights?
Live games would be constantly interupted for ads by producers with no idea about the game ie at  corners and free kicks on the edge of the box.Constant dickhead comments by commentators with no idea what their talking about.I know Harper and Slater can be a bit trying at times but at least they don,t talk about kicking for touch or call free kicks spot kicks etc.Imagine all the smashed tellys all over Australia!

I understand the need to have some free to air coverage to grow the game but I,d rather it was limited to some sort of highlights package once a week.Possibly 20 mins highlights of a feature game and the goals & near misses from the other games.

There is also the possibility that crowds are good because there is no free to air coverage.If you want to see the game and don,t have Fox you have to turn up.How many part timers would just stay home sitting on their fat arses watching the game on TV if they had that option?Live games I think would have to be blanked out within the region they are being played.

Jesus

Jesus
Arabmariner said:
Jesus said:
And could we stand them treating the game with contempt once they do have the rights?
Live games would be constantly interupted for ads by producers with no idea about the game ie at  corners and free kicks on the edge of the box.Constant dickhead comments by commentators with no idea what their talking about.I know Harper and Slater can be a bit trying at times but at least they don,t talk about kicking for touch or call free kicks spot kicks etc.Imagine all the smashed tellys all over Australia!

I understand the need to have some free to air coverage to grow the game but I,d rather it was limited to some sort of highlights package once a week.Possibly 20 mins highlights of a feature game and the goals & near misses from the other games.

There is also the possibility that crowds are good because there is no free to air coverage.If you want to see the game and don,t have Fox you have to turn up.How many part timers would just stay home sitting on their fat arses watching the game on TV if they had that option?Live games I think would have to be blanked out within the region they are being played.

I agree. I dont think one fta match would have a huge impact on crowds, though all on fta would.

I think that alot needs to be demanded of whichever FTA channel gets the rights. They should be using fox's expertise in the area of how to present it. I think they do a reasonable job. Though also sbs put on, i think, a better package for the world cup.

Granted the money being talked about is alot more than the old nsl rights. It would not be prudent to spend that much money to bury something that is already only available on pay tv.

If given the proper investment by 9, or whoever, then the increased coverage would also bring about more newspaper coverage etc as well.

dibo

I think one game per week on FTA would work quite well, and it could fit in reasonably easily with Nine's programming.

Nine has a regular staple in the summertime - cricket. The Tests won't clash with football as they're basically done with by the time football's on. The ODIs are the problem, but the scheduling already leaves an opening - matches are usually on Friday and Sunday nights, so Saturday games are fine.

There's one Saturday when this isn't true - during the Perth Test. Easy solution - schedule a Glory home match as your HAL match that day. You might even have people going to the WACA wandering over the other side of the CBD to really make a day of it.

In RL season, same applies - matches on Nine are on Fridays and Saturdays. The only complication comes for the 4 weeks of the finals. Matches can simply be timed so that they go end to end at this time - it's a time of year when HAL matches can be played earlier in the day, so I'm sure an arrangement can be found. It's also only really a problem in NSW and Qld - the rest of the country couldn't give a shit, so a regular timeslot is a possibility.

The further problem for a FTA network is getting advertising revenue for that time. Ads at the top and bottom of the coverage and in the half-time break will be worth a shitload (relative to other ad spots at equivalent time). Cricket-style scrolling ads at the bottom of the screen would be a possibility too, and a small price to pay for live FTA coverage.

Fox and Nine could even help out another way - f**k off the plywood adboards at the ground for some of the new LED arrays, and have ads scrolling on those. I associate Arsenal home games with two things - excellent football and endless bloody ads for Nike and Emirates. Fox/Nine could maybe buy and on-sell time on the boards as well.

The main thing though is the associated coverage that would be likely to come with any on-sell deal. When the coverage is licenced to Nine, Nine then has the option of creating a panel show similar to the Footy Show with content from Fox.

This gives Australian content (important with local content rules) with the potential to rate reasonably well during the summertime and panel shows are cheap as chips if the enriching content (the video footage from Fox) is cheap enough. Fox would be wise to make it available reasonably cheaply because simply having a show like that is an ad for Fox's exclusive live coverage - look at how the Footy Show and the Sunday roast etc. basically give times and days for Fox coverage of RL matches. It actually adds to rather than detracts from the subscription service.

Sorry for the essay...

P

Pete

dibo said:
I think one game per week on FTA would work quite well, and.....

Sorry for the essay...

Was that typed one handed? As I read it, you sounded so excited.. ;)

Some good points raised and a reasonable assessment about how FTA and Foxtel can help each other, but I can see some political 'grrr' - ing from the NRL, and I'd see similar from the Cricket Australia if the likes of Richie, Tony and Taylor started cross promoting the Football after the Cricket, while commentating on the cricket.

But, Nine really has to start taking stock of where it is heading at the moment.

It's ratings have not been the best of late, and they have an investment consortium as a major shareholder, I believe, nowadays, instead of the Packer clan. Would be interesting if the investment mob have an interest in a major Football club overseas and wonder why a) Nine's rating are slipping? and b) why there's no Football on FTA?

midfielder

Re the article about the 100 million dollar per year deal . Harold Mitchell was interviewed on 2KY Football Fever program (podcasted on http://www.2ky.com.au/media/podcasts...iles.php?pid=7 and begins at about the  24:00 into program). Have a listen its the one on Sunday 20 04 08

He is an interesting guy to listen to.

FFC Mariner

The weekly highlights package on sold to FTA would be:

a) An earner for Fox
b) Promote the HAL to a wider audience
c) Scare the living shite out of other sports

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads