• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Goal line technology enters next phase

midfielder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn2kfwIffH4

It seems that 8 different types of GLT options were involved in Phase 1, which has now been completed.

Only 2 of the 8 GLT options successfully passed Phase 1 and will proceed to Phase 2 testing.

The 2 options are:
1. HAWK-EYE, which is a British-designed system that uses visual images provided by 6 x high-speed video cameras mounted around the stadium to triangulate and track the ball in flight. Installation costs will be high.

The margin of error for the system is 3.6 millimetres and will give fans visual “proof” of the validity of the decision.

A major limitation is that the software requires 25% of the ball to be visible – so no decision could be given if the ball is “buried” under a keeper’s body.

2. GOALREF is a Danish-German project, which uses magnetism to determine whether the ball is over the line.

The electronic probes are attached between the inner ball and the inside of its leather outer lining and sensors are installed on the inside of the posts and crossbar and send out bursts of electronic waves.

An “instantaneous” signal (< 0.1 second!) is sent to the ref the ball has crossed the line,

And, because a magnetic signal is used, visibility limitations that accompany Hawk-eye are not present with this system.

The system is compatible with any ball and will be much cheaper than Hawk-Eye, with a mass production version already in the pipeline.

This 4 minute video summarises where we are with GLT – I would put my money on Option 2 since it can be easily & cheaply rolled out.

adz

Staff member
I saw somewhere a figure of $450,000 to install Hawkeye at a ground, but haven't seen any figures for GoalRef.

Hawkeye is used in cricket and that's pretty cool but it's not like this technology is needed as often in football so I would probably go for the cheaper one if it works.

I would say GoalRef would be more practical too. Hawkeye would still have some element of human intervention and still take time for someone to review the replay whereas GoalRef would be fairly instant. The only thing is the fans wouldn't get a millimetre perfect replay, but I guess they could always park a cheaper camera down that end and get something.

pjennings

The GoalRef seems to be the better and the cheaper. I remember a Liverpool - Chelsea game a few years ago where there was controversy. It took days before a mobile phone picture proved that the ball was fully over the line. There will often be obstruction to the visual view - go with the simpler option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred