• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Frank wants to stay past 80

midfielder

Frank wants to stay on and I say thank god.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/a-lease-of-life-lowy-to-lead-ffa-beyond-80/2008/03/31/1206850812224.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

A lease of life: Lowy to lead FFA beyond 80

Michael Cockerill

April 1, 2008

FRANK LOWY wants to stay on as chairman of Football Federation Australia when his term expires in 2011 - providing he remains in "top shape". Lowy, 77, was initially hand-picked to run the sport by the Federal Government in 2003, following the Crawford Report that recommended sweeping reforms to the governance of the game. Last year, Australia's third-richest man was re-elected unopposed for a further four years following the first vote held under the new FFA constitution.

Even though the Westfields founder will be in his 80s when he is due to face the stakeholders again, Lowy yesterday revealed he had no plans to retire - admitting the bid for the 2018 World Cup had energised him.
"I expect to be here until 2011, and if I'm in good shape then I will seriously consider whether to stay beyond that," he said.

"You can't do this job unless you're in top shape, so it underlines everything. I hope my health keeps me in top shape In my day job I deal in leases, long-term leases - five years, 10 years, 20 years. This lease can be up any moment, but I hope not. I look after myself, and I want to be here to see the benefits to come to Australia out of the effort I'm putting to the improvement of the game."

Nonetheless, Lowy admitted he had started to consider the question of succession, although he declined to name names. Some stakeholders have spoken privately about his son, Steven, being groomed to replace him.
"Succession is very important," Lowy said. "Quiet work is going along these lines. There are people within the game. I think you need someone from within the game to be chairman, don't you? There are people within the game being looked at. They don't even know it. But there are plans underfoot. We have football people on the [FFA] board - Les Owen, Moya Dodd, Jack Reilly, Phil Wolanski, myself. But there are other people. It's interesting, the more I circulate, the more I know how many people, executives, business people, who love the game and would like to be involved.
"I've got no doubt [that] whoever follows me will be able to take the game a step forward. So it doesn't depend just on me."

Significantly, 2011 is the year FIFA will make a decision on hosting rights for the 2018 World Cup, giving Lowy an incentive to remain in power should Australia be successful. The lobbying starts in earnest next month, when the annual FIFA Congress comes to Australia [Sydney] for the first time. Lowy will be using all his powers of persuasion.
For all that, Australia remains at long odds, with England favourites to win FIFA's favour. But Lowy is not conceding defeat. "The [FIFA] executive makes the decision; each country will be represented here, directly or indirectly, and that is the key," he said. "When they come to this beautiful city, they can't help but be impressed. They can see what we can do, how hungry we are. It will show them the good that can be done for the game if the World Cup comes here in 2018.

"I think FIFA's objective is to put the World Cup to places where the game is growing, not where it is already big enough. What is FIFA, or the world of football, going to get out of England? I mean, how much more football can you cram into England than they already have? Good luck to them, they've done well, they are the founders of the game but we are here, hungry for growth. I think when the time comes, that will come into consideration."
In A-League news, Central Coast have added to their strike options by signing former Australian youth international Dylan MacAllister from Norway's Lyn Oslo. Wellington Phoenix have picked up Troy Hearfield, who has been granted an early release from champions Newcastle Jets.

dibo

IMO he can stay as long as he wants provided he divests his stake in SFC ASAP. the apparent (if not actual) conflicts of interest are bad even if only for their value as a distraction.

Jesus

Jesus
The ffa have made it clear that they wont to win sydney. Which means bling and WS. I dont think that lowy leaving bling will stop the treatment they get. FFA want strong sydney teams because sydney has the highest tv ratings in general. That sort of monetary importance will always talk until the league is in a positive financial position. IMHO

T

thanman

dibo said:
conflicts of interest
this is thrown out the window if you know someone in the government.. and its not brought up in the media often enough.
therefore Lowy's job and his stake in SFC are 'fine'.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred